Thread: Driving Brisbane to Kalgoorlie

Driving Brisbane to Kalgoorlie

I am relocating to Kalgoorlie which means towing my boat (18ft Reef Ranger) with my 2013 Triton trayback. I will be traveling with my dog and plan on stopping at caravan parks and sleeping in the boat to keep the costs down.
    There isnt a lot of info that I can find about best sleep over points but I after perusing Google maps I have pencilled in this itenary. I will only be driving in daylight and will be stopping often to take breaks and let my dog stretch his legs so I have tried to make each stage 7 to 800km.
    Does this sound about right or is there a better way to attack this.
    Day 1: Brisbane to Coonabarabran
    Day 2: Coonabarabran to Broken Hill
    Day 3: Broken Hill to Wudinna
    Day 4:Wudinna to Border Village
    Day 5: Border Village to Norseman
    Day 6: Norseman to Kalgoorlie.

PS Can these gearboxes take towing in 5th gear as 100km/h is right on my torque peak in 5th.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Re: Driving Brisbane to Kalgoorlie

Not 100% sure with the triton but I think you will find 4th gear will be your best for towing as far as the gearbox is concerned.... It should be 1:1 meaning your not transferring the torque through any gearing.... I could be wrong and happy to be corrected :-)

hey mate. hope you have a good safe trip! Its a good run across the Nullahbour, I did it in 2000. Your schedule sounds very reasonable. Personally, I would run the rig in 5th wherever possible. I found the most expensive diesel in Bordertown, but even then it was only 20c per litre above capital city pricing. I was expecting it to be double! If you don't have one already, grab yourself a UHF radio to talk to the truck drivers. bear in mind these guys are working to a tougher schedule than yours.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

G'day Duane,
    I towed a 2 tonne crate trailer from mt isa to brisbane using 5th the entire way apart from towns.....no problem what so ever. Even crossing some hills it held speed with the cruise control no problems.
    You might want to take some mozzie nets if you are going to sleep in the boat mate, some decent rains through the area recently will bring an onslaught of the biting skeeters and midges.

None of your legs described are difficult drives.

Take care.
    Jack.

Thanks guys, A UHF is top of the list behind new wheel bearings in the trailer.

What kind of consumption did you get towing?

To be honest I never checked the consumption was something like almost 3 tanks towing that wire crate. Crate was 2.2m wide 2.2m tall and 3.5m long and 1/2 full of crap and tools.....easily two tonnes. A lot of wind resistance with that crate.
    Jack.

I drove from Karratha to Brisbane via Darwin and Townsville in my 2013 dual cab GLX R Triton, towed my 4.6m ally boat in 5th all the way, sitting on avg about 105km/h (was the best fuel consumption). 700-800km a day is good if it fits in your schedule, some of my days were between 1000-1200km, I enjoyed the 700-800km ones much better (gave enough time with an early start to relax and wind down without having to go to bed knackered almost straight away). Good luck and have fun, I did similar to what you're planning and enjoyed immensely.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Quote Originally Posted by goat boy View Post
    I drove from Karratha to Brisbane via Darwin and Townsville in my 2013 dual cab GLX R Triton, towed my 4.6m ally boat in 5th all the way, sitting on avg about 105km/h (was the best fuel consumption). 700-800km a day is good if it fits in your schedule, some of my days were between 1000-1200km, I enjoyed the 700-800km ones much better (gave enough time with an early start to relax and wind down without having to go to bed knackered almost straight away). Good luck and have fun, I did similar to what you're planning and enjoyed immensely.
    Thats exactly why I am doing the 800km stages. Normally I drive to get where I am going as quick as possible but I don't want to be driving knackered and will need to make regular stops for the pooch.