Thread: Hervey Bay Land Based

Hervey Bay Land Based

Just wondering where are the best land based spots to fish with the family next week? So long as it's safe for young kids, anywhere up to one hour drive from Torquay is OK. Urangan Pier any good? Any worthwhile fresh water options? What kind of fish can we expect and what's the recommended rig? Welcome any ideas and suggestions as this is our first time holidaying there.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Re: Hervey Bay Land Based

If you fish the pier for bigger fish live herring is the best there will be a few macs about.Also about the 6th light out there is a gutter there should be whiting etc. there worms or squid will work.There should be a few whiting along the beaches also near the rock wall that heads out just before the shark show I have caught plenty there over the years early morning is the best. Good luck

Across from the esplanade at low tide its worth a walk with some soft placcies for flatties, i was up there near xmas and walked a stretch of about 500m and got 11 flatties with 2 over 70..I could also see a heap of whiting. Having a beer at the pub down near the pier one arvo i watched as a heap of mackeral were hearding bait and leaping into the air near the sandbank just a bit north of the pier.. Nice spot up there and im lucky the inlaws run a resort 10 seconds from said spots...

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck