Thread: CAPE YORK - Your 3 best fishing memories

CAPE YORK - Your 3 best fishing memories

Just planning a trip up to the northern tip and would really like to here some real life experiences from up that way, say from Weipa up the west coast to the tip and down the east coast to Princess Charlotte Bay? I am planning 4 whole weeks once we leave cairns. Will have a 3.75m on the roof powered by a 15Hp. Am finding a lot of info via google and being a half decent fisho here is SE qld I'm guessing it isn't too hard to find the fish up that way with half an idea and a little bit of research. Would love to hear and see some photos of your trips so please share your 3 (Or more) best fishing memories from Cape York!

Cheers

Keithy

Re: CAPE YORK - Your 3 best fishing memories

Mate,
    Pennefather River just north of Weipa was the highlight forme..... Trevelly and Queenies from the rocks at the mouth, Sight casting to bigBlue salmon and Cobia off the beach, Barra while sitting around the campfire atnight with livies. It’s an unreal place!.....having a boat will open up a lotmore options also...there is some reef only about 1km from the beach that holdsbig Fingermark and other assorted reefies.... you will have a ball up there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Mate,
    Pennefather River just north of Weipa was the highlight forme..... Trevelly and Queenies from the rocks at the mouth, Sight casting to bigBlue salmon and Cobia off the beach, Barra while sitting around the campfire atnight with livies. It’s an unreal place!.....having a boat will open up a lotmore options also...there is some reef only about 1km from the beach that holdsbig Fingermark and other assorted reefies.... you will have a ball up there!!!
    Snapperbasher

Sounds like you and everyone else that has been up the top end have had an unreal time at Pennefather? I have done loads of reading about all the hots spots and just hearing other peoples experiences adds to the excitement and hype of doing the trip of a life time. I have done a lot of travelling around the world and seen some of the biggest overseas sights including driving 20000KM's through USA and still think this will be one of the best trips I will ever do (except for Kakadu and the Kimberley's when I get to it). Its all the other stuff that goes with it, getting the 4B right, getting the right camper, boat set up right for top of 4B. This trip has been on the cards since I bought my first 4B (18yrs) ago. Anyways if you get the chance mate throw a few pics up, would love to see em.

Cheers and beers

Keithy

Nice work mate. Some good 4B shots there. Not sure if we will take the by pass track and miss Gunshot and all the hard core stuff as I will have a Kimberley Kamper on the back and boat on top but the more I look at other peoples photos the more I think its all part of the experience.

Hey Snapper basher

Are those Blue salmon you holding up tasty? I have heard mixed reports.

Yeah mate the Salmon were tops!!! We ate them that nightafter catching them. Not sure if they keep real well but certainly good fresh!

Big crocs, barras barras barras, fingermark, wildlife waterbirds, splendid isolation, awesome swimming holes the list goes on. Sooty grunter, cheripin
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"