Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: the lucky country? .... "Just value what you have and don't give it away"

Re: the lucky country? .... "Just value what you have and don't give it away"

Ever get the feeling there are too many laws?

There was a time when if you were breaking the law you dam well knew you were breaking it and as a result law abiding people like myself didn't break the law and we didn't have to worry about getting arrested.

Now, who knows if you're breaking the law or not.

Unless you're a lawyer you've got no idea.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Ever get the feeling there are too many laws?

There was a time when if you were breaking the law you dam well knew you were breaking it and as a result law abiding people like myself didn't break the law and we didn't have to worry about getting arrested.

Now, who knows if you're breaking the law or not.

Unless you're a lawyer you've got no idea.

Louis
    Nah mate, its not rocket science.

Anyway, reading this thread is depressing. Shame some people cant see the forest for the trees. Perhaps we should change the title to gun control and create a new thread for those who appreciate what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    create a new thread for those who appreciate what we have.
    The issue isn't only what we have, it is also what we've lost in the last couple of decades.

I appreciate what we still have (even though it's less than it was) but I am realistic about how much we've lost and worried about what we face losing in the near future unless certain trends are reversed.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Quote Originally Posted by Jabiru658 View Post
    The issue isn't only what we have, it is also what we've lost in the last couple of decades.

I appreciate what we still have (even though it's less than it was) but I am realistic about how much we've lost and worried about what we face losing in the near future unless certain trends are reversed.

Exactly right.

You used to hear people say, “It’s a free Country.” When was the last time you heard someone say that?

We have lost so many freedoms, freedom of speech , freedom of expression and now basically everything is either unlawful or compulsory. No choice anymore. The government controls every aspect of our lives.

It is time to turn the clock back a couple of decades or so when Australians' enjoyed a free society.

Remember if the Government makers everything unlawful, then everyone is subject to arbitrary arrest.

The only winners are the Government who are control freaks and who the laws in practice don’t apply to anyway and the Lawyers who are getting rich off them.

In 1990 there were more people studying law than there were practicing solicitors and barristers and many solicitors and barristers at the time were out of work.

I believe that there is still more people studying law than there is practicing solicitors and barristers even now. That paradigm hasn’t changed. What has changed is that even though there are so many more solicitors and barristers in our society now, there is actually a shortage of them in the profession. Why? Because everything is now either unlawful or compulsory.

Pretty soon you’ll need to get permission from a lawyer to scratch your backside.

Louis

Check this out for the lucky country. Went up with an instructor today for some instrument flight training (wearing a special hood so I cant see out of the plane, can only see the instruments) and this is where we ended up:

Like I said, if you live on the east coast, you are especially spoiled. It is hard to take a lot of photos when you are flying a plane, but trust me, these photos dont do it justice at all. For you folk in Brisbane, you are just a mere 1 hour by boat from one of the most pristine, unmolested sand islands in the world. I have seen some others from the air in the south pacific, and trust me, we have it good.

We do have and live in a very lucky country. While its not perfect, its probably the best overall. Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    You can not carry anything for "self defence" purposes. But if you use a leatherman on a daily basis during your employment in a lawful manner, then the carriage of such a tool is not considered the same as carrying a weapon. So going to work on the train with your leatherman on your belt is not a crime. Get caught with your duds halfway over your ass and a Bowie knife in your backpack next to your six pack of spray paint cans and you may have a problem.

"You can not carry anything for "self defence" purposes."

If you had told someone 30 years ago that this is the way Australia would go they would have thought you were bonkers.

Makes you wonder how it will be in another 30 years from now.

With a bit of luck I'll be dead by then and won't have to see my beloved country go to Sh%$.

Louis