Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: the lucky country? .... "Just value what you have and don't give it away"

Re: the lucky country? .... "Just value what you have and don't give it away"

Years ago Governments provided land for the purposes of rifle ranges as they realized that an armed populace was a deterrent to being invaded and also because if there was another war the men being sent off would be better at using firearms than those just given basic training and sent off to the slaughter.

Remember that it is best for a soldier not to die for his country but instead make his enemy die for his.

Louis

PS: “provided land” I wish governments realized that crown land should not belong to them. It really belongs to the citizens of the country. We are the shareholders of this company called Australia. The assets and the profits should belong to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    But Mike that is the thing.

Up until 1995 or so it was completely lawful to carry a knife on you providing you did so discreetly.

Why did stabbings go thru the roof once they made it unlawful.

Likewise people forget that years ago (circa 1900) it was lawful to carry a handgun on you.

There was less violence and crime then even with the poverty of the day then there is now.

However I do believe that drinking in pubs and night-clubs etc with weapons is a bad idea. Alcohol, public places and things that can be used as a weapon don’t mix.

These items should be taken from a person as they enter these establishments.

However it is of interest to note that years ago people did drink in these establishments with knives.

People did get stabbed from time to time.

But not as many as now as the type that will use them still take them into these places regardless of the laws.

Louis

why does anyone need to carry a knife ? .... not unless you had the intention to put yourself in a situation where you might use it .
    I really can understand the need to carry a bottle opener
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Years ago Governments provided land for the purposes of rifle ranges as they realized that an armed populace was a deterrent to being invaded and also because if there was another war the men being sent off would be better at using firearms than those just given basic training and sent off to the slaughter.

Remember that it is best for a soldier not to die for his country but instead make his enemy die for his.

Louis

PS: “provided land” I wish governments realized that crown land should not belong to them. It really belongs to the citizens of the country. We are the shareholders of this company called Australia. The assets and the profits should belong to the people.
    they also provided hitching rails for your horse .
    Shooting is a legitimate sport ..... but I doubt too many do it to keep an eye in for taking out the next invader .... and if they are , maybe they shouldn't be able to own a gun .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    they also provided hitching rails for your horse .
    Shooting is a legitimate sport ..... but I doubt too many do it to keep an eye in for taking out the next invader .... and if they are , maybe they shouldn't be able to own a gun .

Chris

No of course not.

The right to self-defense is ridiculous.

Louis

why does anyone need to carry a knife ? .... not unless you had the intention to put yourself in a situation where you might use it .

Honest people, if the law provides for it, carry weapons for self defense. They are tools. Sadly criminals carry them whether the law provides for it or not. A gang of drunken thugs on a train station at night might try and attack someone to rob, rape or just bash for some fun.

An armed person can prevent themselves becoming a victim.

Should we now stop travelling home by train or bus of a night from work.

Maybe an affluent person can have a limousine pick him up. A lady or man working the afternoon shift and knocking off at 11pm may have to use these services. And why shouldn’t they be allowed to without fear.

Louis

wow.. after reading these last few pages it becomes apparent just how different people are.. I think if you want to exercise ur right to bear arms.. onya plane to america, move to texas and dont come back. Superize some chips, drink a gallon of coke and eat some ribs...
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Honest people, if the law provides for it, carry weapons for self defense. They are tools. Sadly criminals carry them whether the law provides for it or not. A gang of drunken thugs on a train station at night might try and attack someone to rob, rape or just bash for some fun.

An armed person can prevent themselves becoming a victim.

Should we now stop travelling home by train or bus of a night from work.

Maybe an affluent person can have a limousine pick him up. A lady or man working the afternoon shift and knocking off at 11pm may have to use these services. And why shouldn’t they be allowed to without fear.

Louis

Louis

Yes mate - avoid the situation in the first place & then there is no need to carry any kind of weapon ...... As I said if people were allowed to carry weapons - criminals would just escalate the situation. "that's not a knife" or "my uzi beats your .38" . ....... what do we end up going out with an arsenal .
    sorry Louis - Australia is not Johannasberg or Port Moresby ...... & we certainly dont need to see our very own versions of Oscar Pistorius .
    I've never carried a knife , and the amount of times when I've been out and wished I had one would hardly register on lifes calendar ...... as I said & I'm not joking I've had more need to carry a bottle opener .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Back to the original post - we are the lucky country & whilst I haven't traveled that much , my brother & sisters have traveled extensively ..... two of 3 would never live anywhere else -
    Australia is a great place to grow up , get educated , have a career , start a family , live life & retire ..... as long as you have a bit of a go , Australia offers it all & in relative safety . The cost of housing is the single biggest hurdle we face .... particularly with our love of centralisation & the coast - it is one area that needs redress .

I think the person that penned his thoughts in post 1 pretty well got it right!

God bless"ed" Australia

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    wow.. after reading these last few pages it becomes apparent just how different people are.. I think if you want to exercise ur right to bear arms.. onya plane to america, move to texas and dont come back. Superize some chips, drink a gallon of coke and eat some ribs...

So someone has a different opinion and you tell him to leave the country.

We will just have to keep our mouths shut lest we disagree with you.

Louis

Not at all Louis, it was my opinion that if you want the "right" and not you specifically, to bear arms i think yes you should p#@s off to America.. The thread starter was talking about what a beautiful place it is we live in and some great points why.. If you want to have a go at me also i would ask yourself the reasons that you actually come onto this site.. in the last 2 years plus you have started threads only in the bilge and politics bar two about stocking fish or something.. then in the last 7 years you have not once put up a report on catching some fish... Not having a go but i think this place is awesome
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I would just like to see the rights Australians’ used to have back. These laws that we are discussing are relatively new.

You seem to be authoritarian in your approach.

I am not obliged to follow your dogma.

I do not have to agree with you.

This is what debate is about.

Debating topics

An opportunity to put ones ideas forward for scrutiny and an opportunity to learn from others.

I’m not going to tell you to leave Australia because you disagree with me.

If you disagree with me I simply will challenge your ideas and I welcome you to challenge mine.

I welcome your debate.

Louis

I have a multi-tool which cost me about $150, it's useful and I need to carry it because it's got a phillips screwdriver, a flat blade screwdriver, a can opener, a bottle opener, a couple of knife blades and I use it for quick fixes at work.

Because it has a knife blade (well 2) I can't legally carry it when I travel by public transport so now I don't travel via train for work (I stopped when they changed the laws).
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    Why should I leave?

Why don't you travel to France and practice eating gourmet food and looking down on other countries instead of trying to change Australia into something different to what it's always been?

(that's about as sensible as what you're suggesting after all)
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Quote Originally Posted by Jabiru658 View Post
    I have a multi-tool which cost me about $150, it's useful and I need to carry it because it's got a phillips screwdriver, a flat blade screwdriver, a can opener, a bottle opener, a couple of knife blades and I use it for quick fixes at work.

Because it has a knife blade (well 2) I can't legally carry it when I travel by public transport so now I don't travel via train for work (I stopped when they changed the laws).

You need to carry it ? .... Need !

buy a multi tool without the knife then ...... problem solved

besides if someone attacked you & you had a multitool you'd be in hospital before you could get the blade out - I cant imagine how you would feel safe with a multi tool ?
    chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

To Mal, the OP, well said!!