Thread: Finally get to go fishing I hope.

Finally get to go fishing I hope.

This will be the first time I have fished out side down here in SE Queensland and the weather looks good to finally get out with the son for a fish. I will be heading out from Bribie Island to Wide Caloundra and then to the South Barwon banks. At this stage will be leaving early Thursday and return Friday. We will be bottom bashing with bait as we haven't yet tried using plastics or jigs. (Once I work out what to get I most certainly will give it a go)Have been away from fishing for some 18 years and only ever fished with bait and 150lb hand lines at night out on the reef. (We are from NQ)

We now have rods and reels which seem to be the weapon of choice down here and when in Rome do as they do. Any help or tips would be well received on what bait, best time of tide etc. Not sure how these areas fish or if this is the right time of the year to fish these spots.

Re: Finally get to go fishing I hope.

I like pillies and squid, others use mullet to good effect. I often found there would be a bite around the change of tide, whether high or low. On a day where they aren't biting, and you have found fish on the sounder, it would pay to hang around for the tide change at which time they would come on the bite for possibly only a short time.

Thanks Bremic for the info.

Any differences on what side (east/west) to try at Barwon.

Mullet fillets work well, also stay on alittle longer! I also cast net days before i go and freeze herring/bidys and hardy heads they seem to work well as they are a nice shiny silver

Thanks Dylan,

Hope the weather stays ok and a couple of fish will be great. Do you mainly bait fish ?