Thread: Cape Barra on fly

Cape Barra on fly

Hi All
    Heading up the Cape again in July and have a goal to get a barra on the fly rod.
    Fished extensively for trout on fly when living in the UK some years back, but havent dragged the gear out now back here. The barra where I fish are usually 3-5kg range.
    Have two 7 weight and one 9 weight rods. Be keen for some advice on, best rig to use and more importantly which flies. Heard of a few over time like Pink Thing etc. Water is not that clear where I will be fishing, saltwater estuaries which vary from brown to semi clear.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Flatzie

Re: Cape Barra on fly

Take something black n gold and in the line of a pink thing make some in black n barred with gold flash and some pink things and something chartreuse that will cover your water conditions and use the 9wt and you will only need a couple of mts of leader id just use 40lb strait through with a clear intermediate line have fun, cheers Chris.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

9 weight will get the most use but the 7 would be fun to play with if the fish are on the smaller size and to challenge after you've got a few.

Pink things for the clearer stuff, Black'n'barred for dirty water, maybe a few clousers should do the trick. Don't over-complicate it, there's no need. Poppers are fun if the fish are really active and at low light times.

I use a two-peice leader - about 5 feet of 60lb mono off the flyline with 4ft of 40lb mono to the fly. Should be plenty for the size fish you're talking about. If they're bigger I'd just go a straight-through 60lb mono.

Thanks for the replies! Can anyone suggest a good intermediate clear line to get? And what knot would be recommended for joining 60lb leader to 40lb ldr? I will be casting from a boat towards snags.
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Info above is spot on. I use rio outbound intermediate with the long clear sinking tip. I use a double uni or a nail knot for leader to leader joins.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Info above is spot on. I use rio outbound intermediate with the long clear sinking tip. I use a double uni or a nail knot for leader to leader joins.
    Thanks Apollo!

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    I will be casting from a boat towards snags.
    Cheers
    Flatzie
    If these are exposed trees in say 10 foot or less of water, with limited tidal run you might be better with a floating line. I do a bit of that and find that the intermediate ends up down deep and gets the fly hung-up on the snag more often. Keep in mind you want a really slow pulsing retrieve. If the tidal flow is stronger and your fly isnt getting down a metre or so then yeah, go the intermediate. Hate to say it but you should take both. Yes weed-guards can be handy but will reduce your hookup rate. Anyway, this is what I'm talking about

I have played the old barry on fly game My technique was shamelessly stolen from the lads of Cairns Flyfishers. fly ( chaurtreuse over anything with eyes and neutral buoancy) 45lb schneider flat leader about 2m 2m of shoooting head / T42/ lead core full floating flyline This keeps the fly line up out of the deep tangles and allows a quick pick up on the strike. The short shooting head doesnt kill casting too much (just a little) and a boofy neutral fly still gets down deep and suspends in the strike zone. Barra like suspending flys, if you run an inter with a sinking fly your fly jigs vertically and takes an eternity to get down. A sinking line with a nuetral fly jigs all natural like and barra just lurve the do nothing retrieve... so pull your skirt up, get it in deep and hang it there. Obviosuly on the flats etc etc an inter rules but in the creeks and snag country a short shoooter for the win. Steve
    Last edited by swallin; 05-05-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: stupid ####ing editing on this forum

Hi Steve
    Thanks for the info but I don't get bits of it, can you pm me your phone number so I could call you about some issues?
    Thanks
    Flatzie