Thread: Red jew.

Red jew.

Ok .

Supposedly caught one of these off Pioneer point in The Whitsundays in 1972.

At the time I was told what I had caught was a "Red Jew".

Probably just a local name but what is it usually called.

It was certainly a good eating fish at about 8 -10 pounds in
    The Old Money.

The reason I am now asking the question is that "Meat City" Morayfield,
    has "Red Jew" advertised for $8.99 a kg. whole.

Probably a good buy for anyone in the area.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Re: Red jew.

Red Jew is an old name for Saddletail Seaperch (Large Mouth Nannygai), or Scarlet Seaperch (Small Mouth Nannygai). Interesting that they are using that name to sell it.

One of the best eating fish in the sea (large mouths).

Thanks Nicko,

I was sure it would be a good fish from my experience in those earlier years.

A lot better than some of the fish I see for sale down here sometimes.

Flathead $40.00 a kilo.????????????

We are fortunate as my wife and I get all the fish we want and usually good stuff as well.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Just make sure they are not selling you small mouthed nanygui for that && value ey??..

Volvo,

I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. But to be sure I wouldn't be buying
    small mouthed Nanygui we never but fish anyway. So I feel safe from bassa and the like.

Thanks for the info Volvo.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Seeing a lot of them now regularly in supermarkets esp Woolies. I heard a rumour that they are mostly a trawl bycatch mainly from the gulf - guarantee of supply issues with the big chains. Anyone know the truth of the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Haji-Baba View Post
    Volvo,

I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. But to be sure I wouldn't be buying
    small mouthed Nanygui we never but fish anyway. So I feel safe from bassa and the like.

Thanks for the info Volvo.

Have fun Haji-Baba
    Mate the small mouthed Nanny's are deep red with offcourse a small mouth hence the name difference and taste crap!!!..Yes some of the bigchain Markets do bring in stock the proper Nanny's nut in a smaller size and sometimes look fresh and other time arent!!..Check the eyes for quallity, if milky stay away from them...Best way to tell ey..
    If they are Big mouthed Nanny's then the price aint so bad and especially if fresh!!???...

Yes Volvo, I thought it a bit strange when I saw the add as I had not heard any reference to "Red Jew" since I was up in the Whitsundays in 1972 as i said.

I have caught most salt water fish in this area and up north.
    It appears that at that price we may be looking at a S.M. Nannies although I have not bothered to look.

Haji-Baba

Large mouth are sold as Red Jew. Fish mongers still sell them as red Jew. That's what I call them

Hey Haji!
    They are one of the best to eat in my view and as said , the large mouth, not small mouth

the thing that annoys me is that the bag limit on nannygai is 9 which can be a combined mixture of both. They are so remarkably different, and i would happily throw every small mouth back and replace with a lLM as they came onboard. Its a stupid regulation
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hi ! Odes,
    Thanks for that, yes I know how good they are to eat and fed half the Caravan Park in Cannonvale that evening before I realised just how good a fish it was.

What do you think of Barrys' efforts on his favorite spot. He surely gets a bit excited and sends me the odd photo. I had to convince him to up the line size a bit to get started properly.

Any way we all learn something new every day, mine for the last week has been to never
    puncture a leg or foot on screws or similatr things, spent most of last week in hospital.
    Still on going.

Have fun Haji-Baba.

Yep hes nailing some beauties, hope you recover quickly how bad was it?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Pretty severe but on the mend now.

A form of blood poisoning and the treatment is still ongoing.

Was hoping to get down to the bay on Thursday but confined to quarters for a bit more time on my back.

All is well and we will get fishing again. The Haines must be getting lonely in the shed all alone.

Did have a good trip, 2 weeks, to Waruma Dam for some good crays although they were a bit scarce.

Thanks for the info.

Have fun Haji-Baba