Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling pattern help

trolling pattern help

Hi guys
    I am gonna give trolling ago tomorrow for some pelagic's. Never done it before would really appriciate any tips on setting the spread up what lures go where and how far back and what speed.
    I have brought some Rapala magnums cd18 and a couple of skirts.
    any advice would be appreciated
    thanks

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: trolling pattern help

thers some good stuff on you tube have a look.
    Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by markbxy View Post
    Hi guys
    I am gonna give trolling ago tomorrow for some pelagic's. Never done it before would really appriciate any tips on setting the spread up what lures go where and how far back and what speed.
    I have brought some Rapala magnums cd18 and a couple of skirts.
    any advice would be appreciated
    thanks
    http://www.pakula.com.au/index.php/t...-lure-trolling

www.pakula.com.au/index.php/follow-the-signs

That'll help.

If you are after mackerel I would just be using hardbody lures don't ruin your skirts as for a spread deep diver7-9m short cnr about 10m behind boat medium diver4-6m long cnr 20m behind boat.2m diver as Shotgun 35m behind boat that's for a 3 rod pattern if you have extra rod holders or riggers stagger them in length in between long and short cnrs approxx
    15 and 25m I normally use 2m divers on on them hope this helps you will get tuna as well on this pattern
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Are you going for macks? Xrap 30s, run one short in the prop wash and one back about 30m and you'll do fine. If you're running a third I'd run something shallow like a 2m diver to cover more of the water column.

Yep am looking at chancing some mackerel only got rapala magnum cd18 and a few halco laser pro's and 1 killer vib 16 plus skirts

was thinking of running a 5 spread is that to many

Run halco's wide rapala's tight and put a shotgun (skirt)out back five is the best spread if you have done it before I would try 3 or 4 if you have never trolled before so you don't tangle lines and loose lures and troll around 6-8knts
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Thanks will give it a go

Probably different numbers of fish but up here, i only troll as many lines as anglers in the boat as occasionally they will all load up. Halco laser pros are good lures but xrap 30s are the best I've found so far.

cheers.

If you're after mackies, just throw anything red n white out the back doesn't matter what spread or length, mackies are aggressive feeders, don't think too much into it.

The qantas colours work due to contrast, however either fluoro, dark colours and shiny lures work well too. My favourite colours are dorado and BM in the Xrap 30, although hothead looks the goods too.

Shiny colours reflect the light like a baitfish. Fluoro can be seen easily at a distance and black stands out regardless of the sky conditions above and where you are seeing the lure from, above, below or to the side. Anything that stands out gets eaten. I got some custom made lures that are black/fluoro.

If I was painting a lure myself it would be black with a fluoro green or yellow head as both stand out really well underwater. Red is the first colour to disappear in the colour spectrum at about 6m so any deep divers could really use any colour head that contrasts against the white body, but red looks nice on the shelf! Red becomes a murky green/blue past 6m but still looks okay as a contrast against the white. The white is really the key but black is actually much easier to see from multiple angles. Black looks shit on the shelves though!

Take a hookless lure or two down to 10m diving and have a look, fluoro will still look great and red looks ordinary.

I'll do some filming next time I'm diving, have been meaning to...it will show the difference.

just my two cents.

the red and white laser pro is a go to lure, as are the xraps.. if you by your self i would tow 2 if u have a mate tow 3 im out there tomorrow doing the same thing also, good luck
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Any luck out there off the goldy lads?

not for me mate, took a big handfull of lures and towed em everywhere 12's, 18's and a heap of time at the 24's... spoke to a lady at the ramp who was doing research for fisheries on catch rates of macks etc and she said some of the boats got some at mermaid and most people got the others on slugs and floating pillies... was spewing i left my ready rigged garfish swimbaits in the fridge at home!!! the water is filthy green in close and out to about 50m heaps of weed on the 18's and a fair bit of tuna running around..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!