Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spearing amity point

Spearing amity point

I was thinking about heading over to straddie for the weekend at amity point am I allowed to spear along the rocks that run from the boat ramp to the north, what sort of floats and gear do I need?

Re: Spearing amity point

Mate I used to spear there a couple of times years ago, but unsure if you still can. I think so, but maybe someone in the know will be better to ask. The vis should be ok, but not amazing, so I reckon any gun between a 90 and 110 would suffice. Floats, 11 litre would be sufficient, too. I don't think there'd be too many monsters/speedsters that'd warrant a bigger float than that.

Cuzza

Isn't that where that girl got killed by a school of bull sharks a few years back?

Yeah, just up from there. Plenty of whalers cruise those drop offs, more so around dusk and dawn, though. Sharks are always a part of the equation when spearing, so it's a risk (a bloody tiny one) you just have to take.

Cuzza

Just don't take your dog with you.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

in the last 5 yrs there has been a big presence of bull sharks and i have noticed how unlike most sharks these buggers are very aggressive even chasing hooked up macks and isaw them nailing a Wobbegong i was there when a girl was taken and have seen them chasing Dolphins,i would NOT get in that water for whatever.cheers G.R.Hill

Yea it is called shark alley, they cruise the drop off. Why would anyone risk their life doing that.

Same reasonpeople risk their lives doing anything I guess......Its Risk vs Reward....

The likelyhoodof being eaten by a shark is very very slim.....

Driving yourcar to work or crossing bars in your boat are more likely to be fatal thanshark attacks....

Blog Entries

Maybe when you get to my age and have fished the same waters for 40 yrs what you notice is different to what other people notice you also notice more changes be careful and good luck.
    cheers,G.R.Hilly

I haven’t fished them for 40 years but going onto 30now..... have speared Amity point and Moreton bay for my whole life.

Definately more Sharks now than ever before however I dontthink the risk for spearfisherman is any more than it ever was..... The sharksare only after the fish....any attack is by shear accident....I had a Ludericktaken off a rope on my belt at Amity the week before that girl was killedthere. Lucky it was hanging behind me and tied directly to me or it could havebeen nasty...

The Sharks stealing fish off fishing lines isthe worst I’ve seen it currently......especially a little further north....Ithink they are learning it’s an easy feed

Yeah, Snapperbasher, a lot more whalers around. Tigers, though, are far less in numbers. I think that's because they're far more pelagic, and get caught by finners more often. Ben Cropp was talking about that recently. The whalers tend to stay pretty coastal. Either way they're just a fact of life under there, and you always know you're taking that very tiny risk. Like you said, though, more danger crossing the bar!

Cuzza

Blog Entries

I was taught to cross the bars some 45yrs ago now and been on rescues in bars spent yrs on air sea rescue and would cross most bars in a tinny and not worry but diving in the water to save a life not a problem but for a fish no way known i have seen tigers in the drink there and whales i have stood on a stone fish ill stay where im dry and happy but you have a ball mate good onya.all the best HILLY.

Thanks for the info guys, as you say sharks are just a part of it I used to snorkel there as a kid seen quite a few sharks they never seemed to interested in what I tasted like, I'll have a go and let you know the results... If I don't report back well ermm... You know why.

Chances are you'll be fine. Go when the vis is good and the sun is high.

Cuzza

I can not understand why people risk their lives on some hobbies and pastimes. I ride a bike but there is no way I would risk my life mixing it with city traffic.
    I fish in a 4.2 ally boat but I would not consistently cross bars in it for safety reasons. I can not understand why people skydive. I have worked in the NT for 5 years driving triples and dozers but was always safety conscious and never had an accident. I realize people want to do their own thing but then they expect other people to risk their lives to rescue them when the shite hits the fan.I was camping at Hastings Point once and my son and I would fish at Black Rock beach at 5.00 pm every day and one day here is this guy swimming in the surf 200 mts from the beach with his dog. I just do not understand why people do these things.
    bazza