Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spearing amity point

Re: Spearing amity point

Bazza,

Some of what you're talking about, those examples, are out of ignorance on the part of the participant- old mate probably wasn't even thinking about sharks swimming out there with his dog. Some of it, too, is up to the individual. If you're talking placing others' lives at risk if/when sh%t hits the fan, then you won't be doing too many things that raise a hair or two. Crossing a bar, for one. Even fishing offshore. Both of these can place rescuers' lives at risk. Would you not do that?

I would argue that spearing Amity isn't one of those activities, anyway. If Mr Chompie comes and grabs a spearo, then there won't be time for rescues to occur. If the spearo survives, he/she will be back to shore before rendering any help. No other lives at risk. If you look at the stats, you'll also agree that the spearo's life isn't at risk, either. Chances are so small they're not worth contemplating.

Cuzza

Ive had plenty of sharks near me when spearfishing. Im more worried about moray eels grabbing my fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scorpo92 View Post
    Ive had plenty of sharks near me when spearfishing. Im more worried about moray eels grabbing my fish.
    every time you have a glass of milk or piece of cheese or ice cream just think how many people died so you could.
    Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    every time you have a glass of milk or piece of cheese or ice cream just think how many people died so you could.
    Hilly
    Hahaha classic

HI Mate,

I have been spearing there several times. Got some good flathead and some awesome Jacks. The best thing to do is start at the bar end where the sand meets the rocks and drift the last (About an hour) of the tide coming in. Then you drift the hour going back out to where you started. This way you get the clearer water. I used to do in close to the rocks on the way in and out a bit wider on the way out. When in close and looking for jacks always keep you gun in front of you and ready to shoot as they are pretty flighty. With the sharks I have seen a few but nothiing to worry about. Dont keep your fish on you put them on a rig line attached to a float about 10m behind you. Any sharks will go for this first and when that close you can keep an eye on your fish and poke the sharks away with your gun. An 1100mm gun is all you need and a small football float. Best of luck Goona

Well the good news is i didnt get eaten by a shark, the bad news... no fish! Was a beautiful day anyways... We did a few drifts dropping baits down in the main channel there and along the rocks at about 7am till the sun came out and the tide came in a bit but the bloody dolphins decided they needed the bait more then the fish. We jumped in the water about 10am until 1 had a few swims around the rocks to the left of the jetty and then over to the big wall, was lots of interesting little fish down there but nothing worth shooting. all in all good day was had.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry you got no fish but its good to hear from you Hilly

How was the visibility?

The vis was alright but not great, about 5 meters or so. Scared the crap out of me when we were coming back around to the boat ramp, it starting bucketing down and washed all the dirt into the water just at the ramp came around the corner and couldn't see a thing