Thread: 1770 advice & opinions please!!!

1770 advice & opinions please!!!

Hi Guys

Heading to the promised land of 1770 for a week in September. This will be my first fishing "trip" and I am getting really excited already. I will be towing my Quintrex 600 Offshore up from Brisbane with a mate. I have read so many positive things about 1770 and I really want to get the trip right without any hiccups. I have searched the forum for these topics but there seems to be too much information to summarise.

As I am going to be pouring a fair bit of time and money into this trip I really want to get it right.

1. What sort of set ups should we be taking? will TLD25's with 50lb mono and stradic FJ 5000 with 30LB braid be ok? Any advice on tackle and rigs would be much appreciated.

2. Are there any decent marks within 20-30km or even in close? I can find stuff out real wide but not in closer. Not looking for anyones secret spots etc however some GPS marks would be more than appreciated. Please PM me if you want me to keep them to myself.

3. Somewhere to stay? Can anyone comment on a decent motel/cheap hotel with room for the boat?

I am sure there is heaps more and I will ask as I go!

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers

Nick

Re: 1770 advice & opinions please!!!

Nick,

Mate I'll just let you know what I use.

I wouldn't even go to 1770 unless I had a "Bring it on" rod built by ... Mark Alderson 0448 857 775. I would throw any 15-24 kg Wilson or equivalent in the boat as a spare at best (personally I'd throw them in the bin). I've had over 20 guys fish with me in the last few years and almost everyone has bought a "bring it on" since. So I can guarantee that this rod will not be out fished up there. I hardly know Mark and he's no mate of mine it's just his rod's especially the "bring it on" is brilliant for the fishing up there. In my boat alone last year this rod alone would of landed 150+reds (legal) and 200+trout. With all other rods combined used by a variety of people not even amounting to 10 of each. The soft tip on these rod's combined with the grunt are second to none. This is usually the reason people come back and order a rod. It's best to get one before you go if you can afford it.

Reel. A Torsa 20 or 30. It needs to have a reasonable speed retrieve to hook the fish.

Braid. 50lb Bionic (must be pink!!!)

10mtrs min fluro carbon leader.

Rig. Running ball as small as possible to reach the bottom with no more than 30% more line than the depth out. So if you were fishing 40mtrs no more than 50-55 mtrs of line out before first hitting the bottom. Otherwise you will create a pendulum effect when you hook up and you stand a good chance of being bricked on a decent fish.

Hooks. 3 x 8/0 big guns swiveled together. I personally wouldn't take another hook unless you are targeting mac's.

Bait. PILLIES ONLY. No mullet or squid or rubbish like that. Use pillies all day every day unless you catch a spaniard. Spaniards are the best bait but failing that you will catch plenty of flesh baits along the way. I wouldn't use a flesh bait over a pilly unless i'm targeting reds.

Areas to fish. 20-30k's ok but 35k's much better. By your tackle, bait and ice from Tony at Agnes bait and tackle and he will point you in the right direction. Call him before you go up so he has what you need and he is excellent to deal with. Not only are you supporting a local small business you will also get invaluable inside info that I doubt you will get from the average punter. Go in there and just buy a bag of ice and he will just give you what you give him.

Failing that if you are struggling for marks by September just send me a PM and I'll send some through.

Good Luck!!

Cheers

When in Sept mate? There is a meet and greet up there in September for the forum. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...0-M-amp-G-2014
    As for Rigs. TLD 25's with 50lb are more than enough. I have a TLD 20 with 50lb, a Penn with 30lb and a cheap Okuma with 30lb and can cover most stuff.
    As for marks, you can check in with Tony at Agnes Bait and Tackle on the way into town and he will give you some starters. You can also just look at your plotter and look for contours for the stuff in close. You can also head up to bustard head if it is too rough to head offshore.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Replies in RED...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas2230 View Post
    Hi Guys

Heading to the promised land of 1770 for a week in September. This will be my first fishing "trip" and I am getting really excited already. I will be towing my Quintrex 600 Offshore up from Brisbane with a mate. I have read so many positive things about 1770 and I really want to get the trip right without any hiccups. I have searched the forum for these topics but there seems to be too much information to summarise.

As I am going to be pouring a fair bit of time and money into this trip I really want to get it right. Things do not always go to plan, as I have seen people go there for a week and not put the boat in the water due to winds / swell. Consider back up plans, like Awonga Dam, The estuary and even Turkey Beach ( Rodds Harbour ).

1. What sort of set ups should we be taking? will TLD25's with 50lb mono and stradic FJ 5000 with 30LB braid be ok? Any advice on tackle and rigs would be much appreciated. I have fished with stuff from 6lb braid on 3kg rods, to 80lb on big overheads. To be honest, the lighter you can fish the better. Floating down livies will produce. Paternoster rigs work well. I use livies, Mullet fillet and fresh mack tuna... to each their own though. Large Slimies are the gun bait, IMO. Rods.... I build my own, but a 10-15kg fast taper rod around the 6'6" seems to handle just about everything up there. I even use the trusty Ugly stik ( 7ft ) rigged to a Penn 850 ( baitrunner ) for floaters...

2. Are there any decent marks within 20-30km or even in close? I can find stuff out real wide but not in closer. Not looking for anyones secret spots etc however some GPS marks would be more than appreciated. Please PM me if you want me to keep them to myself. Depends on what you are chasing. Spanish can be trolled up in front of the headland. There is stuff in close, but you'll need to find the fish on the sounder. Also take the time to collect live bait. Have a very good understanding of your sounder readings and if you see Fern, that'll be a good sign.

3. Somewhere to stay? Can anyone comment on a decent motel/cheap hotel with room for the boat? How many of you are there ? Houses in the off season start at about $500/week. Give PRD reality a call, talk to Michelle, tell her you're an Ausfisher. She'll set you straight.

I am sure there is heaps more and I will ask as I go!

Speak to Tony or Josh at the Agnes tackle shop, as mentioned above. Over night trips are best IMO, as I have found the dawn and dusk bites really go off. I stay inside Fitzroy or Musgrave lagoons.

As mentioned, there is an M & G starting on the 13th Sept, where up to 100 Ausfishers will be in attendence. Plenty of info will flow freely there.

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers

Nick
    It's not who you are, but what you do........ that defines you !

Hey Nicholas.
    There are some Ausfishers on here who really know their stuff at 1770.
    I'm still learning, but have had some success at fishing known wrecks, ledges & wire weed whose waypoints can be obtained through the usual avenues like internet, locals & PM.
    Agnes Bait & tackle have the up to date info & excellent service to match.
    You can arrange accommodation easily. There is everything from camping to beachfront houses. I thing the preferred agent is prdnationwide for top end stuff.
    Exploration is half the fun my friend. After the first trip you'll find 1770 has so much to offer & will "lure" you back many times.
    Good Luck

Up to 100 ausfishers at the m&g? Sounds great! Will you be there 1 of the boys?

Thanks for all your insight guys! Unfortunately I think I just miss the Ausfish meet! I saw there was one there and checked the dates I will be there from the 20th-25th so looks like i just miss out this time! Hopefully you guys get on the fish big time, but please leave some for me!

The "Bring it on" rod sounds awesome, I will give Mark a call soon to suss out a price. I will also be sure to stock up on everything we need from Agnes bait and tackle. I am a big fan of supporting the "little" guy and more than happy to help out in exchange for a few pointers.

There is just the two of us going so we probably wont need a house but if its only $500 it would be a goer however its right in the middle of school holidays (mate is a teacher so unfortunately no other choice)

Cant wait guys...

Cheers

Nick

Just one of the boys. Looking at previous years and threads on this meet and greet it seems there won't be 100 people attending this event under the ausfish banner. Maybe they moved on after being banned. And these people that have been banned may not want to fly the ausfish banner. So 100+ members is a big call in my opinion. And no I won't be attending the Ausfish meet and greet in September.