Thread: ice machines - are they worth it

ice machines - are they worth it

I have just purchased an ice machine and doing the calculations here are the figures ( the ice machine produces 95 kg of ice per day) 770 watts an hour

1. The cost of a 12 hour cycle is $2.77 and produces around 50 kg's of ice. ( that's 5.5 cent a kg of ice or 27.7 cents a bag of ice)
    2. As i would only turn the machine the night before i go fishing, power consumption is minimum.
    3. I would have around 30 kg of ice for the next day ( i would turn the machine off and let ice sit in the ice maker and it would be still frozen the next day. ( ice storage are is like an esky).
    4. Chest freezer cost ( as i have my chest freezer on all the time to store, freshly caught prawns, fish etc. It's no additional cost)

I would bring 20-30 kg of ice along at a cost of $1.65

Re: ice machines - are they worth it

What sort did you buy?

Yeah what was the machine worth and where from?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    What sort did you buy?
    Mate its a Ranni brand but Hoshizaki ice cube. I paid $200 bucks for it.

its secondhand. Forgot to mention

Hi could you add the link please

crap bags of ice are getting insane here melbourne. about 9 dollars a bag in some places

The ice is pretty wet. I think you would need to turn on several days before. It takes a while to get cold and make. Also is the 770 watt an average? Because if you turn it on from hot it will be compressing the whole time. Then best to bag and freeze in deep freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    The ice is pretty wet. I think you would need to turn on several days before. It takes a while to get cold and make. Also is the 770 watt an average? Because if you turn it on from hot it will be compressing the whole time. Then best to bag and freeze in deep freeze.
    If you adjust the thermostat ice comes out pretty good. I have left it in the ice machine for for 24 hours (machine turn off and ice is still good. So I will turn on for 12 hours and use for two days. No need to reference and I have plenty of ice to last the two days.

http://www.icemakers.com.au/icemachi...19233&cart_id=

this is pretty much the model but I have an old one, hence the price

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

You need ice?

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    You need ice?
    Beer needs to be cold.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Sorry mate, was trying to be funny (bcf commercial)

I asked a similar question just recently. Was going to buy one of those cheap chinese ice makers, but now hunting around for a second hand brand name unit based on advice from here.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    I have just purchased an ice machine and doing the calculations here are the figures ( the ice machine produces 95 kg of ice per day) 770 watts an hour

1. The cost of a 12 hour cycle is $2.77 and produces around 50 kg's of ice. ( that's 5.5 cent a kg of ice or 27.7 cents a bag of ice)
    2. As i would only turn the machine the night before i go fishing, power consumption is minimum.
    3. I would have around 30 kg of ice for the next day ( i would turn the machine off and let ice sit in the ice maker and it would be still frozen the next day. ( ice storage are is like an esky).
    4. Chest freezer cost ( as i have my chest freezer on all the time to store, freshly caught prawns, fish etc. It's no additional cost)

I would bring 20-30 kg of ice along at a cost of $1.65
    WOW, i do believe you left a few things out of the equation. The wear on the dunlop volleys walking out to the shed to see if the ice is ready 6cents,the beer consumed watching it make ice $60(2 cartons) The bags to put the ice in 2c each,the power consumed keeping the ice $60, SHOWING YOUR MATES YOUR NEW ICE MACHINE PRICELESS.
    Man don't worry about it bro,if we worried about what we spend a year to catch fish none of us would be doing it.
    Don't have a flip out mate and go all goeeee just having a crack.
    Cheers Mick.
    Last edited by outwide1; 08-04-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: put more funny shit in

Quote Originally Posted by outwide1 View Post
    WOW, i do believe you left a few things out of the equation. The wear on the dunlop volleys walking out to the shed to see if the ice is ready 6cents,the beer consumed watching it make ice $60(2 cartons) The bags to put the ice in 2c each,the power consumed keeping the ice $60, SHOWING YOUR MATES YOUR NEW ICE MACHINE PRICELESS.
    Man don't worry about it bro,if we worried about what we spend a year to catch fish none of us would be doing it.
    Don't have a flip out mate and go all goeeee just having a crack.
    Cheers Mick.
    Mick

If i incorporate all the associated cost of owning a boat and running cost. I would be better off buying snapper fillets for $150 a kg.

On another another note. Nothing beats freshly caught prawns cooked to perfection and placed in an ice slurry on the boat, while all the other boats are casting.