Thread: Lowrance turning itself on and beeping furiously

Lowrance turning itself on and beeping furiously

Hi
    Has anyone had this before, the sounder (Lowrance 337c) just started up by itself and flashes on and off constantly with a beep that is timed with the sounder transducer?
    Googled it and done a soft and hard reset to no avail.
    Was wondering if it will settle down once the boat has its bum in the water?

Re: Lowrance turning itself on and beeping furiously

Afraid that I may have bad news for you.

What you have described is a quite well known problem with that era Lowrance models. I had same thing with one myself on my last boat. It is a fault in the internal keypad and effectively, the power button is stuck on, causing it to constantly cycle thru the on/off/light high/med/low.

Mine was fixed under warranty, but i doubt if they will do that now, yours is probably well out of warranty.

Best bet is to call lowrance customer service and talk to them. They might make you an offer on a new HDS to replace it with if you are very lucky.

Otherwise I fear that the answer will be "throw it away".
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

+1. common fault. fubar.throw away item. thank lowrance. You could try doing your nut that it cant be repaired

Aah, thanks guys must have been a bit too humid this year for it!

+2 I've had two go the same way - no help from Lowrance - no fix - offer for cheaper upgrade to new model - no thanks

Hi
    Yes upgrade. For the time being I've taken it over to the guys at Trymax who see how fatal it is. Apparently the on/off can be bypassed to a manual switch so hopefully $95 will sort it out.
    Lesson learned for me
    1. is get someone to put a manual on/off button between the house items and the two batteries that are sitting on trickle feed. Essence (Whittley) does have these tucked away but are playing with them yesterday, they don't do anything! Stop continuous power to lowrance.
    2. Advise installer when having sounder fitted into a dashboard to never ever ever ever (have I typed enough 'ever') use sikaflex to glue a sounder into a dashboard! Little gems like this really annoy a already fiddly task of getting it out! Popped into Bias on way home and picked up a couple of bits that will tie it back in really well if it comes to that.

Anyway all good!