Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: things you meet on the water

Re: things you meet on the water

grasping at straws now Nicko, ffs we don't even get tiger snakes up here
    now get this, there is a big difference between sitting in a shrub or bush just off the ground and climbing a tree or a fibreglass cowel and painted leg
    firk me you sound like someone's wife trying to win an argument
    read where the guys who saw the snake were, instead of trying hard to prove me wrong
    IFISHCQ2

Guys, here is the deal.
    We all agree that I and my brother saw a snake swimming, the snake climbed up the motor, I managed to get the snake back into the water, now here is the clincher - I didn't have to change my shorts even though I hinted at such an act. I am happy to drop it there as I know very little about snakes and without a photo we (including myself) are all guessing at an identification. Lets all shake hands and agree that snakes are around, they do not always follow stereo types as they can't read and that every one was correct at some point.

Ii appreciate all the input from everybody as I have learned some new facts through this forum.

Cheers, the wind is slightly abating and I plan to go fishing, but with a little more awareness of my surroundings.

Alright then
    Nicko, we should have a drink and leave our differing opinions at the door
    there is too much we all have in common to blue over crap
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

I believe both Ifishcq and Nicko are good fellas, so couldn't agree more, Dignity. I bet the snake had a good laugh at you crudding your jocks either way, mate.

Cuzza

thats scary, i regularly fish bells at night... not sure if i ever want to venture up there at night anymore hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    grasping at straws now Nicko, ffs we don't even get tiger snakes up here
    now get this, there is a big difference between sitting in a shrub or bush just off the ground and climbing a tree or a fibreglass cowel and painted leg
    firk me you sound like someone's wife trying to win an argument
    read where the guys who saw the snake were, instead of trying hard to prove me wrong

wow that's pretty harsh. I know i won the argument, you haven't realised it yet. tiger was just one of the snakes that are highly venomous and climb, if you read all the links you'd know that. here's another highly venomous climber: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Rough-scaled-Snake
    http://www.wettropics.gov.au/site/us...wettropics.pdf

happy to drop this now, just got my back up when you said venoumous snakes don't climb, then you changed that to highly venomous snakes don't climb because some guys told you. then you said i'm basically like a female arguing. man i'm holding my tongue.

cheers and all the best. i'm leaving this conversation. anyone who wants to know that highly venomous snakes certainly do climb can spend ten seconds in google and find out for themselves.

I ve heard of a few brown snakes in the odd bush at times but they fair better on a bald mound I'm led to believe
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    You are right to a point, maybe I should have said "no highly venemous or dangerous snakes" can climb
    yes brown trees do have mild venom but it won't hurt humans and it doesn't even rank or a mention as a venemous snake
    by the way I have been going to Fishery Fallls for 40+ years, when the track up to the falls started at the back of the little old blue and white shop
    you could go there anytime and have it all to yourselves

Bullshirt Nicko deadlies can't climb, regardless of what your mate says, maybe he can't identify the difference
    no chance at all, they are just not built for it
    ring the boys at Blackadder in Townsville they might clue you up a bit
    the other biggest urban myth is any of our snakes chasing people, what the flock would it do with one if it caught one?
    they look for the easiest escape route without wasting effort on something they can't eat
    sometimes they might go in a similar direction
    Hi mate,

Blackadder aren't exactly the be all and end all of venomous snake training. I recently had to fix their mistakes at a mine near Moranbah - all of their training had been done inside a pit with a total of 4 venomous snakes, and a lot of the information they had been given was wrong.

Venomous snakes CAN climb - in fact, there are several species that are predominantly arboreal. Look up Tropidechis and Hoplocephalus. Then watch this video of an Eastern Brown climbing a tree to eat a rat -

In your defence, the snake in this boat definitely wasn't a Coastal Taipan, a snake that everybody wishes they had a close encounter with (and make up stories to that effect) but very few have ever actually seen. It would have simply been a Green Tree Snake, which come in many other colours.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only good snake is......

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Maybe someone just forgot to tell the snakes what they can and can't do. They probably have their preferences for doing things but are adaptable if the situation requires it. A few years ago, one of my friends sent me a pic of a red bellied black moving around in her house gutter. Where I live I see about 2 a year and just leave them alone, they always move away quickly and hide as soon as they spot me, apparently they also feed on browns so I don't have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Lucas View Post
    Hi mate,

Blackadder aren't exactly the be all and end all of venomous snake training. I recently had to fix their mistakes at a mine near Moranbah - all of their training had been done inside a pit with a total of 4 venomous snakes, and a lot of the information they had been given was wrong.

Venomous snakes CAN climb - in fact, there are several species that are predominantly arboreal. Look up Tropidechis and Hoplocephalus. Then watch this video of an Eastern Brown climbing a tree to eat a rat -

In your defence, the snake in this boat definitely wasn't a Coastal Taipan, a snake that everybody wishes they had a close encounter with (and make up stories to that effect) but very few have ever actually seen. It would have simply been a Green Tree Snake, which come in many other colours.
    This.

I was going to send you this link on Faacebook too...

Seems that snakes are on the move around Golden Beach with this wet wether, found this little python in the bird feeder this afternoon. Hope he hangs around although I may have to relocated the feeder as it is overgrown a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greetings from Alaska,
    once in a while I'll thaw out over here to see what you guys are up to. I think I'd rather deal with the bears than the snakes!
    by the way, we have these conversations too...Was it a brown bear, a black bear, or a polar bear? And Brown bears don't climb trees...until you see one do it!

The funniest thing happened to 2 mates on mine,
    They were fishing Lake Macquarie down Newcastle way. They were both pretty new to fishing & especially night fishing,
    Every splash they heard they thought was a shark and were thinking about calling quits each time.
    Anyway after a while they had both settled down & had a few livies set for a jew or two,
    My mate said about 1am they were both just about asleep when the boat rolled right over to the starboard side all of a sudden.
    He looked up & there was a Seal sitting on the gunnel looking at them, Without even thinking they hit it with a rod but, cut their lines & anchor rope and made a bee's line for the boat ramp,
    Neither have ever night fished in a boat ever since lol.

LOL stinky, similar - but different - story was a mate of mine skurfing near the Tangalooma wrecks. He fell off and whilst waiting for us to circle back, a Dugong surfaced next to him to breath. We saw it all - including his [almost successful] attempt to walk on water. It's now (and will be forever more) referred to as the 'Killer Dugong Incident' and our mate certainly doesn't ever cop any shit about it at least once whenever we get together, I can tell you.