Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: things you meet on the water

Re: things you meet on the water

Also meant to say they avoid humans whenever they can, so she was probably looking for a place of refuge. Very rare for one to approach you. They'll only arc up if bothered, like all snakes.

Cuzza

i guess its a good idea to keep a compression bandage on board. and on the plus if it comes at you and your quick enough you got yourself a new belt

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    Dignity g'day mate go to google and look at the differant markings of a Keelbacks and marsh snakes you might spot it again.
    cheers G.r.HILLY
    looked at those but definitely not one of these critters. As SSM says this one was not the timid variety even though we didn't spend much time with it, it certainly was quiet forward and would have entered the boat except for some deft handiwork with the landing net, told my usual deckie about it and he reckoned I should do more snakes as I need the practice of handling the net

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    That's a narrow escape, mate. Thank $%^& it went away peacefully. They are rated number three on the world's most venomous, but when you factor in attitude, and the fact they can hit you many times in 'one' strike, they could well be the most formidable. Amazing and terrifying creatures.

Cuzza
    Now I am worried about what might climb into the tinnie when I am not looking, the rear floor is quite open and anything can slip in, the main floor is a full floor, it was a 3/4 floor but I just had some alum framing welded in and put in a new floor(as well as having the transom raised which is why we were really out there, testing the adjusted motor height). I might have to put some snake traps in underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by airlock View Post
    i guess its a good idea to keep a compression bandage on board. and on the plus if it comes at you and your quick enough you got yourself a new belt
    And a change of shorts.

without doubt definately not a taipan
    they can't climb regardless of what urban myths are around, their belly scales don't allow them to climb a tree with grippy bark let alone a shiny out board
    in fact none of our venemous snakes can climb
    green tree snakes can come in virtually any colour scheme depending on their habitat
    if you could see the head clearly
    a non venemous snake has no brow, an upturned smile mouth, a loreal scale between the lower eye scale and the nasal scale
    a venemous snake has a clearly defined brow ridge over their eyes, a flat or downturned mouth, no loreal scale

footnote
    I am a currently certified snake handler and relocator as part of my job and no I am not a snake freak
    I had to learn because my property has one of the highest rates of bad snakes in Aus so it was a case of move or get educated and now I get paid by my employer to keep my qualifacations certified annually

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    they can't climb regardless of what urban myths are around, their belly scales don't allow them to climb a tree with grippy bark let alone a shiny out board
    green tree snakes can come in virtually any colour scheme depending on their habitat
    a non venemous snake has no brow, an upturned smile mouth, a loreal scale between the lower eye scale and the nasal scale
    a venemous snake has a clearly defined brow ridge over their eyes, a flat or downturned mouth, no loreal scale

footnote
    I am a currently certified snake handler and relocator as part of my job and no I am not a snake freak
    I had to learn because my property has one of the highest rates of bad snakes in Aus so it was a case of move or get educated and now I get paid by my employer to keep my qualifacations certified annually

cheers
    That's a relief to know but I am pretty sure it wasn't a green tree snake as I have many of them around the place I previously owned and saw the many colour variations, the head is what made me think at the time it was definitly something else but I am most probably wrong. I will still be wary of any I meet on the water, this snake was about 650mm long but only a bit thicker than my middle finger.

Brown tree snakes (aka 'night tigers') were very common in Fishery Falls (betwen innisfail and cairns) when we lived there. And they are definitely arboreal (they always seemed to turn up somewhere aproximately head-height - made for some monumental undie stains when you turned your head to be face to face with a snake climbing on the stair frame etc). Not hugely poisonous (and I believe rear-fanged) so not big on the 'danger scale' - but venomous nonetheless. Maybe the exception the proves the rule?

brown_tree_snake_in_garden1004x350.jpg

If I had a picture it would probably cause as much confusion as doing a search on the internet but then again intstinct kicked in that it would be better in the water swimming somewhere else rather than in the boat with me.

I ran into Kock81 on the water once- most unpleasant!! LOL

Tony

footnote

cheers

Taipans and and brown snakes can both climb. Biggest urban myth is they can't. In my day job i spend a lot of time kicking cow patties and working in wet areas that taipans seem to love. I've seen a taipan about a meter up a thick bush doing head posturing at me, then chased me, lucky the car was close. Stuff 'freezing' still lol, not with a taipan.

from the belly description though, silver belly doesn't sound like a taipan.

Seen plenty of browns up the cape on trees, a mate is a park ranger, regularly sees venomous snakes in trees, usually chasing birds or their young. Anyway wish someone would squash the non-climbing rumour for once and all.

http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/l...ml#snake_myths

Are tree snakes the only snakes that can climb?
    No. Many types of snakes are agile climbers, especially pythons and some of the ground-dwelling venomous snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by spelchek View Post
    Brown tree snakes (aka 'night tigers') were very common in Fishery Falls (betwen innisfail and cairns) when we lived there. And they are definitely arboreal (they always seemed to turn up somewhere aproximately head-height - made for some monumental undie stains when you turned your head to be face to face with a snake climbing on the stair frame etc). Not hugely poisonous (and I believe rear-fanged) so not big on the 'danger scale' - but venomous nonetheless. Maybe the exception the proves the rule?

brown_tree_snake_in_garden1004x350.jpg
    You are right to a point, maybe I should have said "no highly venemous or dangerous snakes" can climb
    yes brown trees do have mild venom but it won't hurt humans and it doesn't even rank or a mention as a venemous snake
    by the way I have been going to Fishery Fallls for 40+ years, when the track up to the falls started at the back of the little old blue and white shop
    you could go there anytime and have it all to yourselves

Bullshirt Nicko deadlies can't climb, regardless of what your mate says, maybe he can't identify the difference
    no chance at all, they are just not built for it
    ring the boys at Blackadder in Townsville they might clue you up a bit
    the other biggest urban myth is any of our snakes chasing people, what the flock would it do with one if it caught one?
    they look for the easiest escape route without wasting effort on something they can't eat
    sometimes they might go in a similar direction
    IFISHCQ2

You are right to a point, maybe I should have said "no highly venemous or dangerous snakes" can climb
    yes brown trees do have mild venom but it won't hurt humans and it doesn't even rank or a mention as a venemous snake
    by the way I have been going to Fishery Fallls for 40+ years, when the track up to the falls started at the back of the little old blue and white shop
    you could go there anytime and have it all to yourselves

Bullshirt Nicko deadlies can't climb, regardless of what your mate says, maybe he can't identify the difference
    no chance at all, they are just not built for it
    ring the boys at Blackadder in Townsville they might clue you up a bit
    the other biggest urban myth is any of our snakes chasing people, what the flock would it do with one if it caught one?
    they look for the easiest escape route without wasting effort on something they can't eat
    sometimes they might go in a similar direction
    Bullshirt? That's a new one. I choose to argue this case with documented info, including the Australian Museum, they tend to know their shit. Just a few examples, I rest my case.

snake myths: http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/l...ml#snake_myths

Are tree snakes the only snakes that can climb?
    No. Many types of snakes are agile climbers, especially pythons and some of the ground-dwelling venomous snakes.

http://www.radoa.com/the_snakes.html

Classified as the 4th most venomous snake on the planet, the Tiger Snake is commonly found in wetter and cooler climates on account of 50 percent of their food source being frogs.
    Their colours and patterns can vary dramatically, being banded and un-banded. Interestingly they have the ability to climb better than most venomous snakes.
    They give birth to live young with a nest of 12-40 on average, although numbers of up to 70 have been recorded.

http://www.squidoo.com/dangerous-snakes-of-australia

The Eastern Tiger is found in a wide variety of habitat and terrain throughout it's range, including rain forest, dry forests and flood plains. It feeds on a variety of small rodents, frogs and invertebrates. The favored habitat is around swamps and fresh water streams. It also has tree climbing ability and can be found in lower lying branches where it hunts for birds.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Tiger-Snake/

The species is often associated with watery environments such as creeks, dams, drains, lagoons, wetlands and swamps. They can also occur in highly degraded areas e.g. grazing lands, especially where there is water and local cover. Tiger snakes will shelter in or under fallen timber, in deep matted vegetation and in disused animal burrows. Unlike most other Australian elapids, tiger snakes climb well on both vegetation and human constructions, and have been found as high as 10 m above the ground. - See more at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Tiger....U19ujvnu.dpuf

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

every one should spend a couple of bob and carry a good first aid kit
    G.R.Hilly

I guess some people will never agree no matter how much factual info you have, oh well.