Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing the maroochy river for the first time

fishing the maroochy river for the first time

I am going to fish the maroochy river for the first time this weekend. Anyone willing to give me some pointers on where to fish and for what would be greatly appreciated. Also which ramp is the best. I will be my 5.5m fiberglass boat. The pressure is on from my missus after bringing nothing home for a while!

Re: fishing the maroochy river for the first time

get out early...live bait /flick plastics at the change of tide around the bridge...high tide is around 8:30...after the tide changes drift the edges of the sandbanks either down twin waters around the weir or up the flats at bli bli on the run out...

or the other option is go mooloolabah and head out to the gnerrings and chase some mackerel ...

cousin picked up a 60cm jack off the bank near cruise boat near bridge the other day, get some livies and bounce them in the deep hole near the top before it roars out, might get lucky

just got back ...one estuary cod ...very very quiet ... not even one picker bream ...

Quote Originally Posted by astro66 View Post
    just got back ...one estuary cod ...very very quiet ... not even one picker bream ...

Thanks for leaving them for me!

hehehe heading out tonight again...cross the fingers its a bit better... that's the trouble with using big live mullet and herring sometimes there are big fish sometimes there isn't

We are headed there on the 1st of April for a couple of days, right on new moon so keep us posted how you go. We will be staying at the Bli Bli caravan park. It will also be our first time there. Cheers Stew

I guess it makes no difference which river you are in, fish will be in the same places, a packet of frozen prawns, a big sinker and 20lb line will see you catch nothing, pump some Nippers or worms and fish the flats on high tide, and the drop off as the tide drops, the fish are not out in the middle, look for structure and concentrate around there, smaller hooks and 3-4kg line is plenty.

Be less concerned about finding that good drop off or reef or structure......work where the food is.......at different stages of the tide that may change drastically. Sometimes at night the best fishing in the river is in less than 60cm of water.
    Jack.

Just home now. One undersize bream. Lots of slimy weed. Too many f*#king jet skis. What a way to ruin a beautiful river. Live worms, fresh yabbies, pilchard on float line. I tried it all. Don't feel to bad though as no one at the ramp had caught anything either. The cod hole had a least 15 boats in and around it. Nice river but don't think I will be back.

Hey Still_Dreamin, what a disappointment, as I said earlier we intended to go there at the end of the month. It was a toss up Noosa or there so we might have to re-think our plans and go to Noosa at least we have caught fish there before. Thanks for the report cheers Stew

yep really quiet last night as well ....river is full of red weed from the storms/swell ...so bad it was drowning the herring ...cast net now weighs 20kgs and its friggn hard to get the weed out..

Last month we went out same moon phase....same tide ...two jew..big eye trevally..flathead...couple of nice big mullet ....a few bream ...missed a couple of big jew and were getting big runs all night ..that's whys it fishing not catching

My last fish in the river (1 week ago) was a bit slow. Started around Goat island walking the flats using a small popper for Whiting, got a couple as well as an undersize Flattie (first Flattie on a popper). Then to the Cod hole, for the customary 10 minute stop. The fish here are wary as they get smashed all the time. Found some activity on the sounder which turned into a couple of small Moses Perch, and a couple of what I think were grassy sweet lip (never seen them before in the river) all caught on prawn.

Then we fished the mudbanks, and gutters above Bli Bli with plastics for a couple of nice Flatties, then up to Coolum Creek where we fished some of the sunken structure for some Bream, none of which were truly exciting.

We fished gentlemen's hours (9.00am to 3.00 pm) and on a Friday to avoid the jet ski population.

The trick to getting a feed from the Maroochy river is to fish light, keep moving around to find the fish, and fish structure, it's not rocket science. An electric is a very big advantage.

It is my local river so I guess I know my way around pretty well. It is not a big waterway, and is in the middle of a very populated area but there are fish.

Quote Originally Posted by stewlu View Post
    Hey Still_Dreamin, what a disappointment, as I said earlier we intended to go there at the end of the month. It was a toss up Noosa or there so we might have to re-think our plans and go to Noosa at least we have caught fish there before. Thanks for the report cheers Stew
    Mate, don't let my experience sway you. I had a sh*t of a day and was behind the 8 ball all day. Right from when my boat ended up in a gum tree whilst loading (don't ask but I have embarrassing photos, undid all Arnolds fiberglass repairs work). Late on water, went to reverse away from pontoon to find an 8 yr old swimming less than a foot from my prop, forgot my all round light and was back at ramp just after dark. Only had three hours on river i didn't know. What did i really expect?

Oh no all that beautiful work.? maybe you and I should never go fishing together mate combined I recon we would sink the boat at the ramp
    happy days ahead summer is coming