Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fishing the maroochy river for the first time

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: fishing the maroochy river for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Just home now. One undersize bream. Lots of slimy weed. Too many f*#king jet skis. What a way to ruin a beautiful river. Live worms, fresh yabbies, pilchard on float line. I tried it all. Don't feel to bad though as no one at the ramp had caught anything either. The cod hole had a least 15 boats in and around it. Nice river but don't think I will be back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Mate, don't let my experience sway you. I had a sh*t of a day and was behind the 8 ball all day. Right from when my boat ended up in a gum tree whilst loading (don't ask but I have embarrassing photos, undid all Arnolds fiberglass repairs work). Late on water, went to reverse away from pontoon to find an 8 yr old swimming less than a foot from my prop, forgot my all round light and was back at ramp just after dark. Only had three hours on river i didn't know. What did i really expect?

Haha.....funny how some people complain that a river is no good for fishing, then say they only fished it for 3 hours....seriously, the poor ol Maroochy cops this a lot.....there are no jet skis on the river during the week or dawn and dusk....but there are fish then. Just sayin.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

I'm going to put the boat in tonight and have a crack in the maroochy for the first time, i bought beacon to beacon so i kind of have an idea where holes and banks are to fish, i was just wondering where do you cast net for live bait?

Straight after me saying we were going to Noosa instead of Maroochy it was decided that we had planned to fish Maroochy and that is what we are going to do. We will be there on the Tues 1st April so it will be mid week and before the silly season starts for Easter. so, all you guys save us some fish. Cheers Stew

crossy...if you put the boat in at the jetty at bradman av there is always herring and glassies there but they have been really hit and miss last few nights but usually there on the high tides ....or under the bridge on the north bank usually has herring..

heaps of red weed in the river at the moment though ....seems to be keeping the bait away....

dont get your hopes about noosa wither, being pretty slow at the moment even for flat head witch are pretty much the always guaranteed a bite.
    although if you like cat fish you will have a hell of a day.

Quote Originally Posted by astro66 View Post
    crossy...if you put the boat in at the jetty at bradman av there is always herring and glassies there but they have been really hit and miss last few nights but usually there on the high tides ....or under the bridge on the north bank usually has herring..

heaps of red weed in the river at the moment though ....seems to be keeping the bait away....
    i had a thought that off that jetty or pontoon if i remember correctly there is one? and usually im a pumicestone passage fisherman but for 3 days now ive managed to catch nothing not even an eel which is very unusual... and for live baits cant get anything so its pretty weird, as for the weed the passage has alot in it also so maybe something in the wheather we are missing here thats going on??

Hey astro were you on the pontoon about 1830 Saturday night with your missus? White tinny maybe centre console ? If so you helped me tie up in front of your boat.

Always had fun in the maroochy… mainly fished the lower reaches and would always come back with a feed. Pumping yabbies and fishing the sand banks on an incoming tide would always get you a feed of whiting, bream and the odd flathead. Fishing the current lines and drop offs on an outgoing tide with some berley would get the bigger bream. Cod hole gets smashes but still produces good fish late in the evening when both boat and car traffic settles. Top place…but for now I can't complain living/ fishing the Torres Strait.

yeah we did help someone go infront of us...had the wife and kids...wasn't much bait at the ramp so we tried a couple of spots and ended up back at the ramp to get more bait....dodged the guy in a tinny with no lights what so ever checking all the crab pots along the northern shore nothing sus there lol ...transport department had a check station in fishermans road and went over the boat/trailer/car ...

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah we did help someone go infront of us...had the wife and kids...wasn't much bait at the ramp so we tried a couple of spots and ended up back at the ramp to get more bait....dodged the guy in a tinny with no lights what so ever checking all the crab pots along the northern shore nothing sus there lol ...transport department had a check station in fishermans road and went over the boat/trailer/car ...

hey Astro....did you have a net over ur boat mate...did the Transport blokes comment anything about that?

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

mate I asked and he said it was BS ....brother in law is a traffic cop at Maroochydore and he called BS ...I had the anchor in the well but I had the chain wrapped around the cleat a couple of times and he just said its probably safer to put it in the boat.....to just lay it on the floor inside the boat...
    He pretty much said as long as it couldn't fall out of the boat it was fine...I had an esky on the floor at the back...4 rods layed down on the floor...couple of jackets and jumpers stuffed under the back seat so they couldn't blow out...all the usual stuff in the side pockets...

You going out during the week.....tried the mullet spot last night and cleaned up huge prawns along with a few of gold spots...ended up with about 40 prawns as big as your hand lol ...jacks were smashing them ....turned a 30cm gold spot into a 45cm jack just like magic
    Low tide last night was insane ...we ended up with two flatties...big eye trevally...jack...bream...mullet...prawns...
    We missed heaps of big hits...wife had a huge jew up to the boat and it decided to go another run and it went into the prop and cut the line....guy near us got a nice jew in the late 80s early 90s ...I left some jewellery in a couple of nice size fishes mouths ....the jack were hitting the baits so hard and would be on for a couple of mins then spit the hooks ..
    Big schools of herring and mullet were coming in about an hour after the change in tide as it started to flow in again with trevally...jew...jack chasing them..
    Even hooked up at the boat ramp lol ...come into the ramp and as I was getting the boat out there was a couple of rods on the jetty and one went off so I grabbed it and started winding it in ...yelled out to the guys who owned it (he was up in his car in the car park smoking funny smelling ciggies)...give rod to the owner and he dropped it right at the jetty lol ...