Thread: Offroad Boat Trailer, need some advice please

Ausfish Bronze Member

Offroad Boat Trailer, need some advice please

G'day all,

I'm in the planning stages of acquiring an off road boat trailer. I have received several quotes and ideas, however my intended use of the trailer isn't to negotiate intense 4wd tracks or pretty much anything off the beaten track. I want a trailer that will handle dirt roads or sh!tty bituman, something similar to the roads heading out to Weipa from cairns, then up to Bamaga. Or the dirt tracks around a few lakes in North Queensland, without damaging the trailer.

Would it be possible to get something like those barracuda trailers I have seen advertised in Townsville with 4mm galv steel framework and upgrade the wheels, tyres and springs? Is there anything else to consider? I'm happy to still slow down and take care on serious corrugations or potholes, but longevity is probably of more concern.

I don't have the first clue in building my own trailer, so any tips or suggestions would do me a world of good.

This trailer will be for a Quintrex Renegade 460 SC and with outboard and surplus gear, shouldn't exceed 700-750kg. ok maybe 800kg including beer.

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Re: Offroad Boat Trailer, need some advice please

You are welcome to look at mine, I'm in Cairns, where do you live?