Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These ebay ones any good?

These ebay ones any good?

Good for the price that is..
    Anyone have one of these style ebay ones? Any major issues? Will only be used on the odd occasion in creeks and canals if the winds are too much for boating in the bay so I can still get away from the missus and kids for a few hours without trekking through the mud or crowds landbased...
    Cheapest I can find -
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-K...eb30c07&_uhb=1
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: These ebay ones any good?

Triple, I have been looking at them as well and a few appear to be sold. Keen to know from anyone if they are OK.

Check the negative comments of the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Check the negative comments of the seller.
    Yeah saw them, But after doing a bit of research, quite a few of the cheaper ones and some of the expensive ones too had leaking hatches and its nothing that a bit of sikaflex won't fix. Sold over 620 and only 4 complaints and 2 of them may have left the plugs out..

What about these?- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWORDFISH...8ac21a0&_uhb=1 Slightly different design, better seat but smaller rear compartment area but bigger hatches and NO leccie motor bar mount position like the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Yeah saw them, But after doing a bit of research, quite a few of the cheaper ones and some of the expensive ones too had leaking hatches and its nothing that a bit of sikaflex won't fix. Sold over 620 and only 4 complaints and 2 of them may have left the plugs out..

What about these?- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWORDFISH...8ac21a0&_uhb=1 Slightly different design, better seat but smaller rear compartment area but bigger hatches and NO leccie motor bar mount position like the other one.
    These look pretty good guys, I might get one myself.
    He has them for sale for $399 but I notice he also uses the Ebay "Make an Offer" function.
    If you check out his feedback (perfect BTY) you'll see he's sold a few for $360, that could be his bottom line. It wouldn't hurt to try as it could save you $30.
    Cheers

Thought I should add -
    Just picked up a pair of the Swordfish yaks in US jungle camo - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWORDFISH...8ac21a0&_uhb=1 - Took awhile to get them as communication back and forth regarding pick up and invoicing from him takes a day or two for each response. Yet to test them out fishing but they float in the pool and quality looks pretty good out of the packaging, One yak was missing a screw in the rear bunghole (and didn't exist as there wasn't even a hole for it) which was easy fixed and I went over and gave all the screws a bit of a tighten.

One thing to do is tip the yak up on its nose and open the front hatch and collect all the plastic shavings from the holes that the factory has drilled and keep them as they will come in handy if you ever need to fill a crack or a hole that you have drilled as they it will be colour matched to some degree.

Anyone want more pics/measurements of these ones or see/use one in person before you purchase just let me know..

What did you pay Triple?

Please give a report once you have given it a run mate. I have always resisted the urge to by a yak because I'm sure it would only get a handful of runs a year, but at that price it might be worth a go.

Thanks
    Rob

Factory Tackle Outlet is now selling the same kayaks by the looks....check their FB page.
    Jack.

Mike, Paid $389 each, more than I wanted but tried making lower offers and all rejected and had to use another account to buy them as I didn't know you can only make 3 offers and in the scheme of things no biggie..
    The factory tackle ones look similar but don't have the raised moulded bit in each end for the handles (I like that the raised versions as it has a bit more meat there and won't pull any screws out when I hang it in the shed from it). The two peice paddle is a bit cheap/thin feeling but will see how it holds up but is as expected for the price.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

see how you go. A mate has ones that look to have come from the same mould. I spent a few hours in one and it was so uncomfortable I thought about swimming home. Absolute torture on the back. Sure they suit some bodies though.

It has camouflage paint so it must be excellent 😉

A kayak of that size might be ok in the mangroves by it'd be slow as. The longer the yak the faster it is, the wider the more stable, but also it will slow it down a bit.

Seriously - why would you want a camo yak???

Fish don't see the same way we do, so that's a mute point.

I'd suggest a kayak that people can see on the water. Waterways are getting busier and busier all the time, and a kayak sits very low in the water. A guy in NZ was recently run over by a tinnie.

And if I needed help, then I'd want people to be able to find me.

I own an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and am going to upgrade to an prowler ultra shortly.

Overall - I'd say your money could be better invested.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    A kayak of that size might be ok in the mangroves by it'd be slow as. The longer the yak the faster it is, the wider the more stable, but also it will slow it down a bit.

Did you read my first post as to where I wanted to use them.. Any longer and I wouldn't of been able to turn around in some of the waters I've taken it already..

Seriously - why would you want a camo yak???

Cause options were bright white with blue or pink or cool as f#*k camo and with reflective glare off the water I really wouldn't want any more bright colours down in front of me to reflect off. It may or may not be an issue but did I mention its cool as f$&k camo

Fish don't see the same way we do, so that's a mute point.

I'd suggest a kayak that people can see on the water. Waterways are getting busier and busier all the time, and a kayak sits very low in the water. A guy in NZ was recently run over by a tinnie.

And if I needed help, then I'd want people to be able to find me.

Like I said, did you read where I said I wanted to use them.. Not many tinnies hooning around where I've been paddling. If you are relying on the colour of your yak to be found then you are in past your waist in the sh@t and should of had better backup safety plans. If I was to go ocean/bay yakking then yes a bigger brighter yak would if been on the cards.. But they are sub $400 yaks with seats and paddles to start off with and keep me entertained in the local creeks when its blowing in the bay.

I own an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and am going to upgrade to an prowler ultra shortly.

Overall - I'd say your money could be better invested.

When you start spending money like they want for prowlers etc on a yak that will only be used occasionally in the waters I've stated then yep, I'd say the sort of money they want for prowlers/Hobies etc would be better invested..

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    see how you go. A mate has ones that look to have come from the same mould. I spent a few hours in one and it was so uncomfortable I thought about swimming home. Absolute torture on the back. Sure they suit some bodies though.
    Been out a few times now and haven't had any back issues, arm muscles that I haven't used in years are a different story though..