Thread: Bowen,townsville and lucinda help needed please

Bowen,townsville and lucinda help needed please

Hi, myself and two mates have planed a trip to bowen,townsville,lucinda and maybe dunk island leaving in one month 10th of april for just over two weeks.
    I have fished bowen and lucinda once before years back just after the big cyclone, fishing abbot pt jetty in bowen and the hinchinbrook channel which we did alright but i think we can give it a bit more of a crack this time.
    I have a 4.75m side console and am looking for any information on fishing any of these areas from finding live bait, to areas to troll,landbased areas to fish when wind is up salt or fresh,good areas to put crab pots any info you would be happy to share really. Mostly looking at chasing barra,Giant trevally,threadies,grunter,jacks, finger mark,coral trout etc..
    I have had a good search and read on here and the info is great but just thought i would chuck up another post to see if any more good info or more recent pops up.
    Happy to help out in exchange for info on hervey bay if that helps anyone.
    thanks scott

Re: Bowen,townsville and lucinda help needed please

Check out Cape Upstart. Good area with shelter from SE winds. I fish there when ever in the area. Also the rivers around Giru are good but not too larger tides required.

Yep, if it's blowing from the south east then cape upstart is the go. Lots of options out of Molongle Ck.

Thanks fellas ill check it out do you have to travel far in the boat to find decent fish at cape upstart?
    Also is there any good landbased area to try for jacks,barra or anything decent really in the afternoons if we are not in the boat?
    thanks heaps for the info so far really appreciated.. getting keen
    cheers scott

From molongle to the tip of cape upstart is around ten miles but there are heaps of fishy areas in between. From molongle into the mangrove creeks of the bay it's only a few miles. The bay has all the regular creek species.

Don't intend to hijack thread Barrakid, but I'm heading this way myself around 24th march, any reports from around Lucinda? Similar situation as Barrakid boat size and limited fishing experience of area. Any help would be appreciated .
    cheers Deefa

This is a thread from a couple of years ago which is still relevant. Barrakid with a 4.75m boat the reefs and around the palms and hinchinbrook island are good options.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?186607-Lucinda-hinchinbrook&highlight=lucinda

I am also heading up that way to Taylors Beach for the school holidays.

Deefa66,not a drama mate hope you have a good trip and get into a few good fish let me know how you go cheers.
    Thanks for the info again everyone, went out on the weekend and got a dozen school mackeral and small wolf hering to troll around the jettys and headlands up there hopefully to pull a few good spanish, GT or what ever wants to take one. Has anyone had a go at that sort of fishing up that way?