Thread: Rockhampton history

Rockhampton history

It's a long shot, but maybe someone remembers the area. People built fishing sheds in out of the way places.... Saw this in the paper. http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...-park/2188147/ randell

Re: Rockhampton history

I used to work with an older gent who reckoned that the land now owned by Swift (meatworks) that stretches for a ways along the river used to have many little shanty type houses along it. But when the meatworks bought up the land along there they only allowed current tenants to stay until they died or moved on and then the "buildings"were demolished and the land reclaimed by the company. He also told me that the guy who started Glenmore Seafoods had a fishing "hut'' down near Joskeleigh well before there were any maintained roads out that way. Apparently they used to 4wd down the salt flats to it on weekends to escape the wives and get on it all weekend living like kings on prawns and crab. The guy was well into his sixties so the time frame may be about correct 40 - 45 years ago??
    Insert witty phrase Here <-----

thanks, I'll pass it back.
    randell

There used to be bathing sheds on fishermans beach. They were quite large structures on large posts.

If my memory serves me correct there was also a slide near the jetty that boats were hauled up above the high tide mark.

Haven't got a reply back from the reporter. thanks for input. randell

Hi, Probably were huts etc behind the meatworks as that is the site for the Nerimbah boat ramp. Used to be quite active in small ship repairs. From where Lakes Creek road crosses the railway line before all the houses were built there were a lot of jetties & tin huts where the owners kept their nets & crab pots. Their boat was usually chained up alongside. These were all sorts from small inboard dories to flat bottomed pine dinghies (2 piano crates made 1 dinghy). Further down there were a lot of huts at Thompson's Point. All along the river down to the old Broadmount wharf (good for shark fishing)

The camp at Rundle's Beach was on the seaward side. This was Clem Reynolds camp. He started Glenmore Seafoods. His wife used to have the fish & chip shop in Main St., Park Avenue. To get there you had to go through Joskleigh, then down the beach to the camp. Quite well set up I was told. There were a couple of camps on Coorooman Ck. that you got to by crossing the salt pans near Keppel Sands.. I also found the remains of a hut on the headwaters of the Causeway. Possibly from the days before the causeway was built.

At Emu Park there was a weather board building at the southern end of Fisherman's Beach. Two rooms with a covered breezeway to still give access to the beach. Where the beach access is now. The family who had the oyster leases on Great Keppel Island used to bring rocks covered in oysters ashore, kept in big tubs of seawater, for sale to the day trippers who came on the train. All the beaches from there to Yeppoon had at least one arrowhead fish trap.

North of Yeppoon, before development there were a couple of huts at Barwells Ck., then the huts at Corio Ck. The main one here belonged to Ted Corbett. He had two, one at the mouth & his loading jetty up the creek. Other huts were built near his & at different spots on the creek. There were other huts at the mouth also. These belonged to some of the farmers in the Byfield area. Further north there were huts at Five Rocks. These have been replaced by permanent houses.

That's what I remember Bill