Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qld Fishing " reviews " by Govt. march 2014

Qld Fishing " reviews " by Govt. march 2014

Overhaul of fisheries management in Queensland

The LNP Government will undertake a wide-ranging review of fisheries management in Queensland to deliver a better system for the state’s commercial and recreational fishers.

Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister John McVeigh said the review would fix a system that was complex, costly to administer, inconsistent and a burden on fishers.

Fishing is a vital primary industry and a favourite recreational pursuit, but has suffered from 20 years of neglect under the previous Labor Government,” Mr McVeigh said.

We need to reduce the masses of red tape that have weighed-down our fisheries management.

There are about 900 pages of legislation for 1,500 commercial operations and a large number of exceptions to deal with the consequences of decades of ad hoc decision-making and policy on the run by Labor.

We want to create balance between environmental and economic use, as well as ensure ongoingaccess for recreational and indigenous fishing.

Over the next nine months, the review will examine our entire approach to managing the fishery, and will be guided by a Ministerial Advisory Committee.

Engagement will be a key to the review. I will be bringing together commercial, recreational, conservation and indigenous groups to listen, consult and gather their views.”

Mr McVeigh said as a result of this decision the government had determined not to proceed with a review of the crab fishery.

This may create some frustration, however we cannot keep going with bandaid approaches that result in little agreement by participants,” he said.

Steps will be taken to ensure our management review does not impact the Commonwealth export accreditation that’s needed by some of our fisheries.

This review is a chance to modernise the way our Queensland fisheries are managed, to ensure the future of the resource and the community benefits of commercial and recreational fishing in Queensland.”

[ENDS] 6 March 2014
    Media Contact: Lachlan Millar 0407 394 580
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Qld Fishing " reviews " by Govt. march 2014

We need to reduce the masses of red tape that have weighed-down our fisheries management"

That's funny since it's fisheries that created the red tape!!

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like no big Jennie's on the table for a while longer.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Hopefully some good will come out of it for the recreational angler.

Louis

Wouldn't hold my breath for that.

As usual it will be the pro that get favored and anything for the rec fisho either an afterthought, coincidence or accident

FQ have always shown ongoing disregard for the rec fisho,

This sounds great BUT have a look at the fine print!
    Those of us who have been around this debacle called Fisheries Qld (and all its other name changes without form changes) will be saying "Oh NO! NOT AGAIN!"

From Hansard (What McVeigh said in Parliament):
    "Today I announce that the LNP government will commence a full review to overhaul fisheries management in Queensland to modernise and simplify our systems."

Sounds GREAT!!!!! JOY OH JOY!!!!!

"As part of the review I will convene appropriate ministerial advisory committees". Oh dear. Same old same old. The same old "engage all stakeholders to make the decisions in a consensus way so that I am not responsible for making the decision and I can say: This is what the stakeholders want!" Meanwhile no agreement from the stakeholders = STAY THE SAME!

And who do you think will be on this committee?
    "I have been in contact with David Bateman from Sunfish"
    I thought Sunfish was dead? Or at least many of the branches and representative bodies that made up their membership walked away? So we will be left with the same old same old again!?!?! And SEQ focus of course!

Oh and by the way.

Minister McVeigh has also used this as an opportunity to delay further the Crab Management Plan which should have been done over 10 years ago. The commercial crabbers are at a point of revolution due to the displaced effort from the Netting buyback which was going to "reduce effort".

AND of course Minister McVeigh is also using this as an opportunity to delay any further looking at the debacle that is Inshore Fisheries Management. How many here remember the promise of Stage 2 of the Inshore Finfish Management Plan?

I thought the LNP was going to be a breath of fresh air. It appears their whole time in opposition was spent learning the tricks of the trade.

response to Macks forever:-

We haven’t had branches for a couple of years now. We had a Strategic Workshop a few years ago and decided that all our member organizations should not just be treated equal but should appear so, so now they are all called Member organizations.

In the last 12 months we have also had another 5 organizations become members, so we are doing okay.

Kind Regards

Judy Lynne
    Executive Officer
    Sunfish Queensland Inc
    07 3882 4518
    0409 056 437

and also, Macks :-

The anonymous person who is so critical of David Bateman and Sunfish on the AF/fisheries review post should get involved in representing recreational fishing rather than taking cheap shots at those who do this voluntarily, with the best interests of recreational fishing at heart.

LP

It is interesting that Phill has posted this on behalf of Judy Lynne and Sunfish.
    But we need to analyze the bureacratese speak.

We haven’t had branches for a couple of years now. Actually Sunfish Qld still lists some "branches" on their website eg Sunfish Tablelands "Our main aim in forming this Branch was to try and get our voices heard."
    Also in the About Us section Sunfish state "The Chairman and members of the Executive normally manage to visit every Queensland SUNFISH Branch at least once per year." Signed off by Chairman David Bateman and Updated by Judy Lynne 24th May 2013.

We had a Strategic Workshop a few years ago and decided that all our member organizations should not just be treated equal but should appear so, so now they are all called Member organizations. The "branches" were always separate legal entities. Changes little whether they are called "Members" or "Branches".

In the last 12 months we have also had another 5 organizations become members, so we are doing okay.
    Actually the only new members showing on the website are a PCYC club and SQAFCA, which David Bateman is chair of. It would be good to know who the other members are and if they are all Moreton Bay based.

However in the past few years several branches (which we will now call members) have either folded, gone dormant or been propped up by Sunfish Qld, or resigned from Sunfish Queensland. Not only that but I believe ANSA formally resigned from Sunfish Qld at their AGM in August last year but Sunfish still lists them as a member? I am unsure how many other members listed are actually current although I am aware some recently considered resigning also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    response to Macks forever:-

We haven’t had branches for a couple of years now. We had a Strategic Workshop a few years ago and decided that all our member organizations should not just be treated equal but should appear so, so now they are all called Member organizations.
    The "branches" were always separate legal entities. Changes little whether they are called "Members" or "Branches"

Kind Regards

Judy Lynne
    Executive Officer
    Sunfish Queensland Inc
    07 3882 4518
    0409 056 437

Not sure whether this is Phill speaking or as in the other post, a quote on behalf of someone else.
    However I am more than happy to respond.

I believe that being the "anonymous person" is my right on this forum? Whether a person is anonymous or not does not change or lessen the facts of what they write.

"so critical of David Bateman" The only time I mentioned David Bateman was a direct quote from the minister as to who he had consulted with.

"should get involved in representing recreational fishing rather than taking cheap shots". Never assume Phill. or whoever wrote that. I have been involved working behind the scenes for the benefit of rec fishing for 20+ years with the best interests of recreational fishing at heart. The fact that I have paid employment in a government related position (which is totally unrelated to fishing) is a valid reason to stay anonymous but also gives me great insight into the workings of bureaucracy and government.

"taking cheap shots at those who do this voluntarily". Again a flawed assumption. I have never been paid a cent for all my thousands of VOLUNTARY hours I have put in over the decades on behalf of rec fishing. Both David Bateman and Judy Lynne have received significant income over the years in various roles representing rec fishing. I have no doubt that they also gave extra voluntary hours above and beyond paid time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    and also, Macks :-

The anonymous person who is so critical of David Bateman and Sunfish on the AF/fisheries review post should get involved in representing recreational fishing rather than taking cheap shots at those who do this voluntarily, with the best interests of recreational fishing at heart.

LP

I welcome the review and commend the minister for it. It is a big responsibility to manage Qld's fisheries and they are some of the best fisheries in the world. I would like to encourage all fishos - rec and pro - to work together with each other and with the government in good faith to get better outcomes.
    Mark

Would be nice to see the make up of the advisory committees and contact points so that people could contact them directly rather than just to put in a submission,
    I would also presume that that the freshwater review will now be included and delayed further.
    This is a monumental task and to properly review every section of the act will take years.
    Cheers
    Ray

Hi Mark,

Can you advise if this is to be a truly independent review using reputable scientists and reviewers with no current or previous association with Fisheries Qld?
    Or is it basically a review done internally with mainly existing or previous Fisheries Qld staff and an advisory committee similar to the old MACs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    I welcome the review and commend the minister for it. It is a big responsibility to manage Qld's fisheries and they are some of the best fisheries in the world. I would like to encourage all fishos - rec and pro - to work together with each other and with the government in good faith to get better outcomes.
    Mark