Thread: New Tent Setup

New Tent Setup

Hi all, just wanted to share that I bought a new setup. After a lot of thought and research looking for a quick all weather setup with room for the wife, young fella and i with a decent size awning I ended up buying a oztent rv4 aswell as a rv3, awning joiner and a set of deluxe side walls to enclose one side of the doubled awning. We will trial it next weekend up the beach and than at fraser next month.
    Cheers TT

Re: New Tent Setup

Let us know how long it takes to setup. I know the tents are quick but with pegging out flies and attaching awnings etc ... how long will be interesting, versus a single large tent.

Should be good anyway.

I've seen people set up their RV3 & 4s (properly) and it takes as long as it takes to set up my 6 man geodatic tent.

The difference is that those RVs need a big area (ute or wagon to carry them) & that a RV4 is really only a 2 man tent . add on the bits that make them decent and you have a expensive tent that still takes you as long to set up .

My black wolf tent will sleep 4 with good midgee control - exceptional ventilation (has survived a week of up to 100 km/hr winds) has room to store everyones gear for a third of the price and packs away into a 100lt box.

Those RVs look great till you actually use them

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I own a RV3 and can set it up basically in 35 sec and fully peg it all down in 5 mins. Add 15 mins for the deluxe side bits - little bit harder on your own.

Chris which black wolf have you got ?? If a rv4 is only a 2 person tent they must be bloody big people....Set it all up in the back yard and It takes the two of us ten minutes to set up the two tents, fully pegged with the awnings joined and side pannels on, It gives us a 4 x 2.4m covered area in between so we don't need to put the tarp up for short stays anymore saving even more time.

Hey mate.
    i have a RV3. Had it about 5 or 6 years. Great piece of kit.
    It does hold up to the weather, and it is quick to put up.
    Only thing to watch, is it has no fly, so it will condensate on cold mornings. But that will be the same as the black wolf or any other single skin tent.

Thanks
    Rob

Hi
    Our young fella just bought one of those Coleman Instant tents. best setup time ever--about 5 minutes and its all done.
    We will invest in one shortly as well.

Mrs H

Can't comment on the tent, but FWIW.

I always utilise a ground sheet under the tent and under the tarp.

I use Shade Cloth. I'll peg it out and erect the tent on top, erect the tarp over tent and extra space ( tent is 2 x 2.4 and tarp is 6 x 7.2 ).

This way it flattens out the grass or sand under the tent, lets moisture seep down and the additional area under tarp allows for a smooth walking area and also allows sand to filter down providing a clean soft surface. Utilising the tarp also allows me to NOT add the tent fly, keeping the top open for good ventilation. The vents at the top also allow any unwanted... ummm.... hot air, to escape saving the inevitable " was that you ! ".... comments.

ON trips when we are away long term, I also hang additional shade cloth to tarp to make walls. air gets in, reduces rain penetration considerably and provides a little privacy.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hi
    We also utilise a ground sheet under the tent. As well as stopping any unwanted water running under the tent in a downpour it also keeps the bottom of the tent clean and makes packing it up easier. We have 2 3x3 gazebos with walls on one which protects from rain and sun. We put a large tarp up as well ( 18x24 foot ) over the whole area. This gives plenty of protection and also lots of shade.

Mrs H

Tent?? What's a tent??