Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Ausfishers
    I'm seriously looking at a new tow vehicle to take me through to retirement (10-15 yrs) its been a while since I've bought a new vehicle and my ability to talk to car sales men is not what it use to be. ( I tend to call spades -spades and dickheads well you get the picture) My priority is reliability enconomy and the ability to tow comfortably ( my boat is about 1500kg loaded) This one must be an auto as the wifey intends to share driving duties on the odd occasion (and i'm an old fart now) I have 2wd hilux atm and would consider one of the new "hi Ryder" type 2wd's but I am fond of the idea of doing some light off road work. Big decision ($$) for me I can't afford to get it wrong.

Any real world thoughts on some of the turbo diesel / auto utes out at the moment? any that you would not recommend and why?

Thanks BigE

Re: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

I bought 2 Mitsubishi dual cab 4x4 utes for my small business about 6 months ago (after test driving the various choices) and they are reliable, excellent value for money and... dated in styling and layout. If you're buying new and your budget is in the low $30,000 range then it's hard to beat Mitsubishi's deals at the moment however I'd strongly suggest one of the more recently released utes if your budget will allow it.

The Nissan Navara D40 is if anything more dated than the Triton (and not as well priced) so I'd cross that off the list as well.

The Toyota Hilux has the name, the reputation, the best dealer network and the greatest availability of after market accessories but the current model isn't far from replacement. That can be good (you'll pay a lot less now than when the new model comes out) but also bad (you'll take a depreciation hit when the new model comes out and you'll be looking at all the new shapes and wishing you had one instead). So Hilux? Sure if you're a Toyota man through and through but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

The Ford Ranger (or it's oddly styled Mazda twin) would be my first choice followed at some distance by the Holden Colorado.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

10-15 yrs ? The ute will be long in the tooth by retirement. I reckon get a mitsubishi triton thrash until you retire then get a nicer vehicle to see out your days. You can pick up a new 4wd mitsubishi triton mn my2013/2014 for sub 30k if you look around. Just got one two weeks ago from nundah mitsubishi for 27990 drive away. Had one little hail dent in tub but I was putting alloy tray on anyway. My last triton laws ten years and going strong when I traded it so hopefully this one will last as long.
    they have 6 airbags, cruise control, Bluetooth and traction control. Looked at the navara d22 which was very rough but came with free bullbat and towbar for similar money but no cruise and only front air bags. The others (bt50/ranger/amarok/Dmax/Colorado) were all 40k++++ propositions.

Rated to 3t with 300kg ball although having towed my jayco expanda ( 1800kg and 174 ball weight) on the weekend I think it would struggle big time to tow 3t.

Hi bige I have the Mitsubishi triton 2013 model 4x4 I previously had a 2008 triton both auto same reason as you previous boat 1500kg did not know it was there new boat 2000kg still no drama towing .
    i drive 200km a day and never had a problem always had it serviced though it is also very comfy my wife loves it hope this helps
    triton glxr Cheers Scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Do not by a Holden Colorado you will regret it

I have a PX XLT Ranger DC with 3.2TD & Auto. Now has 55 thou kms on the clock. Been trouble free aside from an actuator in the A/C vent system. Pulls like a train, great economy, great for beach work and tows my 6m Fisher way better than my last 120 series TD Prado. Very happy with it.

If funds allow - A VW Amorok - Then the Ford Ranger

I drove the lot ...... these have the goods but also the comfort .

it's still a toss up between another Jeep GC or an Amorok for my next car ...... the Amorok was the only one that had that was even in the game as an alternative .
    ....... the others are long in the tooth pretenders , rubbish or living on past reputations

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My two boys both got a new duel cab diesel turbo one was a Triton one was a Hilux they both owned them for 4yrs one cost $7,500 more new, when the time came to sell them the Triton was worth $6,000 less than the Toyota,the repairs on the Triton cost $2000 more the mileage was better in the Toyota and it had no repairs they were both traded at the same place and they both got new Toyota's i have two diesel Landcruisers my old one i have done 1.300,000 and my newer one has just been run in at 300,000 i would not look past a Toyota if you can afford it both of mine are 25yrs old or older and would not hesitate towing a 20 ft boat to Cairnes and back i have in the past 8 or 9 times and the only trouble i had was the rollers on the trailer split so i learned to take a couple of spaires.

all the best Hilly

Don't Isuzu advertise they have staino timing chains etc etc to ensure a long running motor? If I wanted a long term proposition a dmax or hilux would be on the list for sure. The ranger/Mazda is going to be the best tow truck by virtue of its wheelbase and engine, but at 1.5t the others will also do the job easy.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Dmax is a stainless timing chain , mine is a duel cab with canopy and only 5k on the clock . On the weekend just gone we drove to Hervey Bay down to Poona then on to double island point and back to brissy , a tatal of 743km . The computer says we are running at 7.6 lt per 100km and I still had a quarter of a tank of juice so I recon you'll get 1k out of a full tank . It tows my camper and boat easily and is more than capable in the bush . I am more than happy with mine it's a great car and I got great service from Brisbane isuzu at eagle farm ...,Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks for all the replies - plenty to think about, anyone have thoughts on the current crop of auto's - I ve never had an auto diesel before (although i think they would be a good thing) does anyone know anything about the auto transmissions? would an auto trans cooler be a good idea for towing?

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Thanks for all the replies - plenty to think about, anyone have thoughts on the current crop of auto's - I ve never had an auto diesel before (although i think they would be a good thing) does anyone know anything about the auto transmissions? would an auto trans cooler be a good idea for towing?

BigE
    the triton has a bad turbo lag from first to second but when you get used to it drives very well

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Dmax is a stainless timing chain , mine is a duel cab with canopy and only 5k on the clock . On the weekend just gone we drove to Hervey Bay down to Poona then on to double island point and back to brissy , a tatal of 743km . The computer says we are running at 7.6 lt per 100km and I still had a quarter of a tank of juice so I recon you'll get 1k out of a full tank . It tows my camper and boat easily and is more than capable in the bush . I am more than happy with mine it's a great car and I got great service from Brisbane isuzu at eagle farm ...,Matt
    A mate has an Isuzu as well = loves it and the fuel economy is really good ( not to mention chasing him when towing .... when I had the Prado) but the back seats !!!!! ..... noooooo

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post

BigE
    With the current crop of auto's why would you consider a manual ?

A good mate works in a job where he gets to drive all sorts of utes ..... but in recent times they have moved to manuals - his words (being a truckie) was his next 4x4 will be an auto
    He loves my Jeep GC .... & wants to buy it when it is replaced.

The days of the big advantage of manuals in 4WD situations is pretty well gone ....

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO