Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Re: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    some people cant afford a Toyota what a shame.Hilly.
    Hahaha, there is a difference between can't afford and won't pay extra for no reason....

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    The amarok I think has an 8-speed auto, and no low-range. The engines these days have so much power and torque, combined with the very low first ratio in an 8-speed (and not to mention standard hill descent control) and I can see a lot of manufacturers ditching the low-range in future. A mate of mine recently drove quite a few new utes and said the amarok beat everything on the road but the back seat was too small/hard (he carries passengers regularly) so he went with the Ranger.

I've heard some niggles about all the current crop of utes.
    I think I'd be looking at Ford Ranger/BT50 or Colorado (with new engine) if I was looking to buy new today.

I only drove the higher end models ..... so I cant comment what a base model was like - I found the VW Ultimate as the best for width & comfort (some were shocking in the back) The Ranger is the second choice imo .
    The 8 speed box really does eliminate the need for low range ..... I see the difference between my Jeep GC with a 5 speed auto and the 8 speed

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe after doing nearly three million klms in a Toyota and some times in the toughest of places towing things to big to really tow,and never having a problem apart from a fan belt or radiator hose you do become a bit one sided i could take any one of my Toyota's and i have 5 and drive around Australia in any one.
    cheers Hilly.

Hilly - I dont think any one would question the big Landcruisers, no doubt top of the mountain in terms of toughness and reliability (well maybe the 200 series let them down a little in the early days with the engine issues) but gee it comes at a premium and I still shake my head at what you pay and what you get for a GXL TD. The newer Hiluxes just aren't in the same park and if you aren't brain washed by brand loyalty and mark each one off against the other on their merits you would be hard pressed to go the hilux. Although I see now (god forbid) toyota lowered the RRP to compete as they know they are not on the same playing field. I will definitely take another look at the next generation Hilux when it eventually comes out and hopefully Toyota will slot a V6 TD in their along with 8 speed auto, LOW RANGE and all the new fruit that the new gen utes have.

What I am hoping for in the future is that Ford, Holden, RAM and Toyota all open up some vehicles from US/global and bring them in here. The 1500 RAM with the V6 cummins looks a winner and the next gen F150 with alloy panels also.

I have had the hilux but it was a petrol and not much chop. Traded to the navara D40 in 2007 and still going strong. Bought 2 more D4o in 2011 for my business and still going strong. Cant fault them i have one with 250 thousand ams on it that is still towing my boat fine. Just my opinion but Navara is great car can't comment on anything else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    What I am hoping for in the future is that Ford, Holden, RAM and Toyota all open up some vehicles from US/global and bring them in here. The 1500 RAM with the V6 cummins looks a winner and the next gen F150 with alloy panels also.
    Add the Toyota Tundra to that mix. Saw one here recently and looked very nice.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i bought my last toyota 13 yrs ago and it was an auto seca (Corola) and i have no reason to replace any but i dont have any reason to keep up with the Jones my kids do it costs them a fortune.
    hilly

Thanks to all those who have responded good replies and lots of different perspectives. Anyone have any thoughts on the current crop of autos and towing?

BigE

Seen an orange Ranger wildpak today, nice looking rig.

BigE

bought the Landcruiser 76, ok its not an auto but came from an auto Patrol which couldnt pull the skin off a custard. Test drove the Colorado etc in auto and the auto felt way lighter and bounced around between gears more than the Patrol, i wasnt going there, Ranger didnt impress me and likewise the price on the Landy didnt impress me but i got one.

Didnt know the new Totyotas dual cabs are coming out in auto, thougt it was a conversion but my 2 cents after towing for 5years in an auto Patrol now having the 76 manual for 10 months i think for towing a manual is better, just my opinion, you can hold a gear up a hill etc. Around town id take an auto any day.

Mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Thanks to all those who have responded good replies and lots of different perspectives. Anyone have any thoughts on the current crop of autos and towing?

BigE
    Better off with a new auto than a manual ...... it's not like the bad old days where you ere worries about an auto box . I've towed a 6M sailfish with the Jeep GC auto - not a drama. I do long tows 1300-2000km - 1500kgs plus - sweet as !
    I wouldn't even give it a second thought & that's why more & more are moving to auto's

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think the question of the title of the thread needs to be qualified. That is, what do you mean by " best " ?

Best being,,, fuel economy ? maybe longevity ? Kw's and Nm's ? sparse maintenance programs ? servicing costs ? replacement costs ? noise levels ? aftermarket accessories ? chip power-ups ?

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 10-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Holden is best, Toyota is best, Nissan is best... They are the best if thats what you own... In reality, they are all just as reliable as the next one, or just as unreliable. My last d40 was a piece of crap, broke down all the time, fell to bits. My new d40 (V6 TD) is brilliant. Got mates with tritons that are shagged, got mates with tritons that are great. Same with toyotas.

The best thing you can do, is pick the one that ticks the boxes, and go for it. The next best thing you can do is pick a decent dealer, that way if you have problems they will sort it. I cannot recommend a nissan dealer, cause I am yet to find a decent one. I can recommend mitsubishi at nundah for after sales service though. Subaru, old lethal at newstead is the go.

I wish someone would bring out a turbo diesel dual cab around the size of the patrol or 200 series, that has a heap of power, min 4000kg tow capacity, good GVM and GCM and with a bit of comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I wish someone would bring out a turbo diesel dual cab around the size of the patrol or 200 series, that has a heap of power, min 4000kg tow capacity, good GVM and GCM and with a bit of comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Could not agree more. This is what I really want.