Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Re: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Quote Originally Posted by T-REX View Post
    Sorry to through a new slant on this but I bought a BT50 dual cab to tow a 2000kg boat and yes just like everyone else did the research and it tows like a dream. However apparently if you select High/low range or Dif lock on hard ground and turn your steering you finish up with a binding issue. Wheels jump and skip at low speed when trying to reverse or tow out of boat ramp. Fine if you are in the loose stuff but only occurs on hard ground. Have been told this is the case with the new 4x4 as there is no centre differential. Thought I would bring this up as a lot of people buy a 4x4 for towing but never use it in High/low range. Anyone else come across this issue.
    Thanks
    This is standard for anything that is not constant 4WD and is yet another reason I went to the 200 Series Landcruiser. In the 200 series you can drive around in low range on the bitumen with no issues. In the 100 series it required a minor electrical mod to disengauge the Automatic centre dif lock when low range was selected. The only way you can avoid it with a "normal" 4WD is if you have manual hubs on the front end and don't lock them in.

Tritons have always been able to do it on their super select models, and there's an electrical workaround for most others just like the 100 series.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

T Rex

For what its worth and given it may seem too simple / basic a response but the same issue exists with the older Patrols.

The way we have worked with it is to just drive straight up the ramp ( I know you mentioned turning) until up the ramp then stop, and move from low to high and then move the rigging area. Maybe this is too simple but there is no electric switch to isolate in the older Patrol and even if there was I doubt the need to do it, in our case anyhow.
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks guys and as Chimo says it is not an issue on a straght drive out at the ramp but only in reversing from the street up the driveway at home which is a 90 degree turn to get it straight. Just learn to live with it. Thanks again to Scottar, GBC, and Chimo.
    This sight is always a wealth of information and a little bit of humour thrown in.
    Cheers

T-Rex

Have you investigated fitting a tow ball on the front of your truck?

Probably easier on you and the truck getting the boat where you want it and you may not need to go low ratio forward?

PS Don't use the front tow ball on the ramp please!!!!
    What could go wrong.......................

Chimo,
    Good idea but not worth the outlay as I only have to back 40m on a reasonable grade and I don"t think it will be an issue in the long term. Love the idea of using the front tow ball on the ramp though. Probably create a lot of fun for the onlookers. Like I said a bit of humour thrown in.
    Beer getting cold will have to attend to it.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Do not by a Holden Colorado you will regret it
    Whys that? I would love to know why as I am looking at trading my golf in on a dual cab and the Colorado is the top of the list at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    Whys that? I would love to know why as I am looking at trading my golf in on a dual cab and the Colorado is the top of the list at the moment
    I am on my second Collie.

I have the 2013 model space cab 4 x 4 diesel manual. I would say it's one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Power, comfort, creature comforts and they even look good. Currently 95,000 k's on it and it's only 2 years and 3 months old.

Class leading towing capacity and payload. Bucket loads of torque and BHP.

And when I bought mine, it was actually the cheapest in it's class of the BT50, Ranger, Amarok, D-Max and Hi Lux.

I would buy another one if this one ever dies.....

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    T Rex

For what its worth and given it may seem too simple / basic a response but the same issue exists with the older Patrols.

The way we have worked with it is to just drive straight up the ramp ( I know you mentioned turning) until up the ramp then stop, and move from low to high and then move the rigging area. Maybe this is too simple but there is no electric switch to isolate in the older Patrol and even if there was I doubt the need to do it, in our case anyhow.
    Chimo and TRex, I don't know how you do it but when I used to drive up on my Patrol with the auto hubs in low range I would only get about 10m up the ramp driving dead straight and BANG every time. After three times in a row that was enough as I though Damage to either diffs or gear boxes would be next so bought manual hubs and swapped them over. No probs now.

Hi.

There's a lot of utes on the market nowadays.
    BUT. you want best to tow. reliability and longevity.

There's only ONE that is made by a truck manufacturer. with a truck engine in it. virtually guaranteed for 500k.
    Isuzu.

No fancy trimmings and very few problems. read up on them.VW will be ok when they put an engine in there instead of a rubber band. and a bit of reliability in the electronics.
    I tried one and the first thing that came to mind when I put the foot down was. whoaa. where's the horses pre turbo's.
    They have nothing there, really is a gutless rubber band. NOTHING, till the turbo's come in.
    how long is a tiny little 4 pot like that going to last with that much strain/load on it over the yrs.
    For longevity. I personally wouldn't go below 3 ltr. 2.5 at a pinch but not through choice.

I'm a retired diesel tech.
    You can load up any size engine with any amount of POWER.
    but don't expect too much longevity out of it, speciaally if it a revver.
    My mate and his brother are RACQ/RACV call out guys.

They both say don't touch the VW. Toyota or the Holden.Specially the electronics on the VW.
    they spend most of their time working on those models.
    Isuzu. Triton and "Great Wall" are the least on callouts.(The Great Wall bit surprised me but they a surprise under the covers. towing UP TO 2 ton.
    Myself I went from Patrol 3 ltr to 2010 D-Max. towing an 18ft tandem axle caravan.
    Never misses a beat, runs on tresh air.
    and the rear seats. Well I have an 80ltr Waeco. Chain saw and fishing gear on there.

My father just went from the Ranger to the new Collie. Said he'd have the Ranger back in a heart beat. I drove the collie today for the first time. There is a noticeable drop in grunt from the Ranger.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I am on my second Collie.

I have the 2013 model space cab 4 x 4 diesel manual. I would say it's one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Power, comfort, creature comforts and they even look good. Currently 95,000 k's on it and it's only 2 years and 3 months old.

Class leading towing capacity and payload. Bucket loads of torque and BHP.

And when I bought mine, it was actually the cheapest in it's class of the BT50, Ranger, Amarok, D-Max and Hi Lux.

I would buy another one if this one ever dies.....

cheers LP
    Did they sort out the vibration you were experiencing in the rear end LP?
    what a sad sad AB

It was a battle and in the end no one sorted it. I did however get the back tyres and wheels and rotated them to the front...( this was done to humour me at my request ) .... no more vibration ??? WTF ????

Cheers

I will also say that I have just yesterday clicked over 100,000 k's. The Collie hasn't been used for work for nearly 8 months, so being a July 2013 build,, that's a lot of k's in a short time.

I am about to find out how rugged it is.... doing a 2 month / 16,000k North Australian trip, starting late April. Includes the Tanami Desert, Gibb River Road etc

cheers LP

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    My father just went from the Ranger to the new Collie. Said he'd have the Ranger back in a heart beat. I drove the collie today for the first time. There is a noticeable drop in grunt from the Ranger.
    The Ranger has 147Kw and 470nm's
    The Collie has 147Kw and 440nm and 500nm in the auto.

30Nm is not a lot, probably could also depend on the gearing ?

cheers LP