Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Re: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I wish someone would bring out a turbo diesel dual cab around the size of the patrol or 200 series, that has a heap of power, min 4000kg tow capacity, good GVM and GCM and with a bit of comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like what is available in the US - big crew cab diesels (Chev , RAM , Ford , GMC)

I'd love to see a Toyota Tundra available here ..... in a diesel though

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, I now have a 2004 F250 which is an awesome tow vehicle but it is a big mother. I reckon the GU patrol as a factory dual cab would be ideal. I look the look of the tundra and Nissan Titan. They'd be great with a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I wish someone would bring out a turbo diesel dual cab around the size of the patrol or 200 series, that has a heap of power, min 4000kg tow capacity, good GVM and GCM and with a bit of comfort.

Buy a 200 and chop it. Not hard, just not cheap!! ;-)

Chisel, they look good but you are still stuck with a vehicle with very poor load carrying and towing specs.

Alchemy

A friend of mine bought a 200 a few years ago and then spent about an extra $30 k to to get the tow capacity up. It rides really hard but does the job, just. My B in Ls Dodge Ram Diesel feels a bit more comfortable to ride in tows as you would expect but still a truck.
    The new smaller real trucks like Isuzu might be worth a look too.

Cheers
    Chimo

One Dodge prepared earlier (Dodge commercial 1920); http://www.youtube.com/embed/nq2jY1trxqg?rel=0
    What could go wrong.......................

Speaking to the guys from one of the suspension shops at the last 4x4 expo, he reckon the Colorado/Isuzu is the best value if you can put up with the lack of true creature comforts of the opposition.
    He said, they found them to be the more robust of the breed probably due to Isuzu having a trucking heritage as well.
    No personal experience to speak of other than to say I have driven a 2009 Hilux and 2010 COlorado, both auto diesels, the only difference was the 'Lux had transfer leaver where the Colorado has a switch arrangement for 4x4. Both very capable

The GVM upgrade on a 200 is much easier to do pre-registration and will cost around 3k from new...Once it has been registered there are a few more hoops to jump through......they are a good tow vehicle but without the leaf rear they will never be what they were not designed for......a light truck........i'm looking at getting mine chopped in the future and a drive in drive out with tray coversion seems to be in the 15k ballpark.......i'm not sure which way to go as of yet.....I don't want the chassis extension just the basic chop with a normal sized dual cab tray will meet my needs.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

GVM upgrade is ok unless you need to tow close on the 3500kg limit. If you do then the GVM upgrade effectively reduces your tow capacity as the GCM doesn't increase. 200 series only have a 650kg payload capacity in std form, so not much scope for carrying a decent load and towing at the same time.

That new 1500 diesel dodge Ram looks the goods. If only you could get one here in RHD for within 10k of what the yanks pay for them. They'd sell like hotcakes
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Lovey80

Given the large range of Dodge Rams would the diesel V6 1500 be the one to go for? http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/#ram_1500
    Maybe a poll on here to see what people might want, diesel V6 or V8 results of which that could even end up with Dodge so if there is a worthwhile RHD run they might even export to Aust esp with Ford and Holden local about to be gone.

Who knows maybe Ford and GM might even start considering what their old utes are going to be replaced with that might even be closer to what the market wants / needs?

Cheers
    Chimo

There's no way big thirsty V8 petrols are ever going to take off here in Australia. Personally I'd rather see a diesel in the 4-5L range. At 4.5t tow a rig like that would surely have a market here. How many times alone have topics come up just on this board about tow options larger than the 3.5t capacity?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    There's no way big thirsty V8 petrols are ever going to take off here in Australia. Personally I'd rather see a diesel in the 4-5L range. At 4.5t tow a rig like that would surely have a market here. How many times alone have topics come up just on this board about tow options larger than the 3.5t capacity?
    Spot on mate....There is a 'need' for a larger more capable tow vehicle for sure........Theres a few guys up here I know that want to update their F250's but have nothing to turn to apart from importing or buying something already imported.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

1500 Ram V6 Cummins Review (sorry to hijack post "Big E")

Greg P

What can I say ...... sweeeeet !

BigE

Do Dodge make a right hand drive version of the V6 ecodiesel RAM 1500?