Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Re: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

The amarok I think has an 8-speed auto, and no low-range. The engines these days have so much power and torque, combined with the very low first ratio in an 8-speed (and not to mention standard hill descent control) and I can see a lot of manufacturers ditching the low-range in future. A mate of mine recently drove quite a few new utes and said the amarok beat everything on the road but the back seat was too small/hard (he carries passengers regularly) so he went with the Ranger.

I've heard some niggles about all the current crop of utes.
    I think I'd be looking at Ford Ranger/BT50 or Colorado (with new engine) if I was looking to buy new today.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Ford ranger drives nice,drive the same car at 200.000klms then compare it to a Hilux that has done the same,allthough the f ord ranger won best duel cab here in Aus last year but that was a new car they don't stay new.
    Hilly

You could always look at the Toyota Landcruiser dual cab with the v8. It's coming out with an auto this year. A bit commercial, but very much proven.

Pazz

Blog Entries

The Toyota Landcruiser duel cab will pull my house oh what a feeling.
    cheers G.R.Hilly

I have looked at them all but can't afford a new one just yet, so a mate who takes delivery of a cat this month asked my thoughts because he will need a good tow vehicle.... and bought the new DMAX auto 4x4 ute which was my 1st choice. Gr8 when a mate does that and hasn't offered for me to drive it yet!

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    The Ford ranger drives nice,drive the same car at 200.000klms then compare it to a Hilux that has done the same,allthough the f ord ranger won best duel cab here in Aus last year but that was a new car they don't stay new.
    Hilly
    What a load of crap. I have always owned Hiluxes and I can tell you the last model Ford Ranger still out drives the current hilux at 200k. The new one is leaving the Toyota in the over priced scrap heap at 200km. Throw a decent sized tool box in a toyota and the rear spring wont last 20 thousand let alone 200k.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I hope no one else goes down the route of ditching low range. The extra low 8 speed auto is fine going forwards but a real issue when in soft sand trying to reverse out !!

my BIL bought an amorak and it drives on the hwy really well.

I brought a 2012 hilux brand new (manual) and have been less than impressed. Under 50000 on the clock with clutch and injectors already stuffed. Regret not buying the ranger. Got them for work vehicles, 3.2ltr auto and are a dream to drive in comparison

Agreed Thommo, I am a convert. Toyota has been taking the piss for over a decade by steadily increasing the price while offering nothing new. They got away with it because so many Aussies stayed loyal to Toyota as Toyota rested on it laurels. In the dual cab category they are now well back in the pack and when you consider the price of the old Mitsubishi it's hard to rationalise why anyone would buy a hilux these days.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Blog Entries

some people cant afford a Toyota what a shame.Hilly.

Well worth saving for tho :-)

Some people make informed decisions and dont purchase over priced & under speced 4wd DCs

I've got an 09 DMAX dual cab with auto and it tows my 2 tonne boat around easy. They won 4wd Action mags ute of the year award last year. It also has room enough in the back for the baby seat so I still get to go on the beach. Winning!

I drive a 10/2010 hilux done 195Ks mixed highway and minesites still on original clutch (although it needs a new one soon). I will probably get another (even though I have the option of a prado). One of the sites I go to reckon the only cars that last on site are the Toyota's be it hilux/landcruiser utes and wagons. These boys give them a flogging as you could imagine. They have had rangers as their newest cars and have broken the front chassis on one and blown an engine up on another (due to mud build-up and overheat). I know you wont be doing this sort of driving but Toyota although overpriced are in the main very reliable.

I am going to throw a curve ball into the mix. I know that the original request was for a ute, but anyway, heres some food for thought.

There are some very nice mid-sized diesel auto SUV's available that will easily and comfortably tow the sort of weight that the OP mentioned.

For instance, i got a new Mazda CX5 turbo diesel (Grand Tourer version) in november last year. 6 speed auto. Rated to tow 1800kg and far, far more comfortable to drive than any of the ute/truck derivatives. With its 2.2 intercooled turbo diesel, 420nm of torque and 130kw of power, it really has some go!

Yes, its not anything close to a proper 4WD. Its auto-selecting AWD, and it decides when it needs to put power to the rear wheels. So as an offroader, limited.

But I have towed my boat out of dodgy, steep and slippery ramps such as Carbrook at low tide and it did it so easy it hardly had to try.

I tow my Surtees 5.5 Workmate with it, weighs in at 1250kg in light mode and maybe 1400kg fully loaded. The CX5 does it easy. Plenty of acceleration up your sleeve. Recent trip towing the boat returned 11.5 l/100 kms.

Around town without the boat averages 7.0 l/100ks or thereabouts.

And i can tell you which one the Mrs would like to drive if you gave her the choice of the CX5 and any of the dual cab utes being mentioned!

Kia and Hyundai also make very decent mid sized SUV's that are worth a look. A mate just got the Kia and is very pleased with how it drives generally and how it tows his 5m Haines. A few years ago you wouldnt have even considered those manufacturers, but now they make some very good cars.

Avyway, just thought i would throw a cat amongst the pigeons and sit back and see what happens!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....