Thread: Sunday Avo Bassin

Blog Entries

Sunday Avo Bassin

Fished the upper reaches Sunday avo with spinner baits & Jackal Cherry Lures .Managed 2 x 43cm models along with a couple of 30 ish fish.
    Appears to be increase in the cat fish action with several XL Models coming aboard again .
    Regards
    PaulClick image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	101359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	101360

Re: Sunday Avo Bassin

Nice fish, Well done. Not using lip grips on them are you ?
    Not good for there mouth...

Quote Originally Posted by grinner2 View Post
    Fished the upper reaches Sunday avo with spinner baits & Jackal Cherry Lures .Managed 2 x 43cm models along with a couple of 30 ish fish.
    Appears to be increase in the cat fish action with several XL Models coming aboard again .
    Regards
    PaulClick image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	101359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	101360
    always a good fight anything over 40. nice one.

Blog Entries

I normally do use them ( firstly net fish & then use lip grip on the lower jaw , supporting body weight with other hand ) What other techniques can you offer ?

Quote Originally Posted by grinner2 View Post
    I normally do use them ( firstly net fish & then use lip grip on the lower jaw , supporting body weight with other hand ) What other techniques can you offer ?
    I agree - Perfect!

Loose the lip grip.

Have never seen any use for them on bass.

I have used lipgrips on fish that can cause me damage. Generally, if I don't want to keep the fish (as in I want to put it back in the water and it can't hurt me to handle it), I'll use finger and thumb (holding like a lipgrip might), and supporting it's weight with my other hand.

I don't have a moral stance on this, but I have two lipgrips in the boat, and both of them when used cause substantial damage to the lower jaw of the fish.

I have a small towel always draped over my leg, and this is useful for protecting myself from spines (also useful for hands when I'm bait fishing).

When it's some sort of fish that can hurt me (like a ray, a cattie or a shark), they stay in the net, and the hook is extracted with a pair of stainless long-nose pliers. I use an eco-net, so the fish stays relatively undamaged and they don't tend to get wrapped in the net, making hook extraction pretty simple.

Blog Entries

In the interest of ensuring our Bass stocks are as healthy as possible I will adopt Peters recommendation (Thanks Peter for the input )
    I guess the next area for improvement could be barb-less hooks ?

Good info Peter, I only fish with barbless hooks, In salt and fresh water...