Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle Recommendations Please?

Tackle Recommendations Please?

As the boat I'm building is nearing completion (and the bank book is below zero) I've begun to think about equipping it with fishing gear. Surfing the internet in the evenings I've been reading the want ads and the reviews for fishing equipment. I am sure that I'll need to spend a LOT more time on the water before spending big money on very expensive rods & reels will make ANY difference to the amount of fish I catch. In the past I've burned out a half dozen of my father-in-laws old overheads trolling the islands between Lady Elliot and McKay, before acquiring a Pfluger overhead with no level wind on one of his 40 year old rods for around a hundred bucks. This has stopped every thing I've caught since (Tuna and Spanish Mackeral up to 4' long and one 6' shark). Although I've always fished the NSW coast I've only ever caught small striped tuna and the occasional albacore but then I've mostly been headed for Qld and not mucking around. My plan is to fish the inshore reefs around Sydney for snapper etc and do the trolling out toward Browns Mountain and perhaps further south for pelagics. And of course fish Sydney Harbour and the Hawkesbury system. Then there's the trips up to God's country......

I am looking for recommendations for what I think I'll need which may be 3 different setups:

1st . 2 Heavier duty overhead's for trolling. Would the equivalent of Shimano TLD25's on a 15Kg rod be heavy enough? Or should I look at something heavier say equivalent to a TLD50 on a 26Kg rod? A 25 at that setup would cost around $300 which would be well over what I'd like to spend to start out. Any different suggestions or alternates to get the price down? I notice a lot of people troll with the tld 20 reels but also recommend them for targeting snapper etc. on inshore reefs. But I was thinking Medium duty spinning reals in the 8-12lb range for that. So for medium duty I was thinking:

2nd A Medium duty spinning reel (less sure in this range, probably something in the 4500 range? I've been attracted to the Penn Spinfisher V range and they do come on special regularly as part of a combo)

3. Light duty spinning for fishing the harbour for bream etc. I've been thinking something like Shimano Starlo Stix Classix 702M Fishing Rod With Shimano Sedona 2500 Reel at $139

If I stick to the combos on special, the price range I have in mind is around $100 for a reel and about half that for a rod. Maybe a bit more for the heavy duty setup and a bit less for the lighter setups so $600 in total. If I need to go with a TLD50 equivalent for the heavier setup on say a 26kg rod, I know that even used I'm looking at a fair % of my budget. But these figures were just to give you guys a starting point.

Thanks as always for your advice.

Steve
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Re: Tackle Recommendations Please?

if it was me
    1ST--Tld25 on 15kg sticks spooled with 40pound mono around 400-500m worth will fill it this outfit will land almost anything and double as a floatline outfit for snappa

2ND--shimano baitrunner O/C 6000 on a 5-9kg rod loaded with either 20 pound braid or mono

3RD--stick with your Shimano Starlo Stix Classix 702M Fishing Rod With Shimano Sedona 2500 Reel at $139 and load with 6 pound braid

just my choice hope this helps

cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Tackle Recommendations Followed!

OK I've made some progress assembling some weaponry. I've ordered the Shimano TLD25 on a Shimano System S 15-25 rod from RayAnnes. I've also ordered the same rod in a 10-15 weight. Then, from OceanStorm Fishing Tackle Shop I've ordered the Shimano Sedona 2500 on a Starlo Stix classic 702M. I'm also bidding on the O/C6000 elsewhere and we'll see how we go. Meanwhile back at the ranch I was looking at my neglected collection of tackle from the sailboat and decided that two of those outfits were worth recovering.

One was an Ambassedeur 6500 C3 on a 5' Fenwick baitcasting rod. Although I don't intend to cast with it I figure I can use it for dropping live or dead baits. I used to use this off the sailboat whenever I anchored up for the evening I'd get in the dinghy and drift a paternoster. Always brought home dinner. The rod is rated for 8-15lb line. I got on to AlanTani's website and he had a great tutorial for servicing this reel, which I did today for the 1st time in 10 years. It now operates like new. (New Year's resolution: I will wash my gear with salt-away after every outing and service regularly)

The other one is a Pfluger Condender G30L which has caught a ton (well almost a ton) of mostly spanish mackerel. This has 35lb mono on it and although made in China and never been serviced the drag still seems nice and smooth. This is on a 15-25KG roller tip rod so I expect that and the Shimano TLD25 will be my two trolling rods. (repeat new years resolution.)

Lastly a mate who has helped out a few times with the boat gave me a present of a brand new reel he had got from his father. This was a made-in-Japan Tacka-Ban 150. Any word on these? According to the schematic it has leather! drag washers!

I've rigged a couple rod holders and will use a cooler for ice and kill box temporarily. (kinda over fibrelassing for the moment) I'm bringing down a small freezer from up the coast to use as a bait & berley store. This all should be enough to get me started.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Steve

The above collection sounds like plenty for a man with only two hands.

Don't forget to lay in some yuzuri and similar squid jigs and appropriate line floats, catching net (for squid, don't want ink on the new boat) and dedicated squid holding bucket, ( don't want ink on the new boat) Can't beat freshly caught squid on the odd overnighter.

All sounding good but.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Go to the second hand shops and pick up almost unused TLD25 combos for about $150-200.....Then invest in a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner and a Stradic 2500 both on suitable rods about 7' long.

Bugger all can go wrong with a TLD25 so do not pay top dollar for a new one.......I would buy the baitrunner and the stradic new though.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Go to the second hand shops and pick up almost unused TLD25 combos for about $150-200.....Then invest in a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner and a Stradic 2500 both on suitable rods about 7' long.

Bugger all can go wrong with a TLD25 so do not pay top dollar for a new one.......I would buy the baitrunner and the stradic new though.
    Tunaticer,
    I saw heaps around a few months ago but when I decided to buy....nothing. I paid $199 for the new combo. I checked the pawn shops and cash converters around where I am-they didn't have much. As you say the used ones on fleabay were going around 170-199. The rod I got sells for $79 stand-alone. Figured I may as well go new all the way around.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Must not be enough crime in your area to have no gear at a pawn shop (lol) I'm in goodna heaps around hear
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Must not be enough crime in your area to have no gear at a pawn shop (lol) I'm in goodna heaps around hear
    Haha, I got a bargain 8-10kg T-curve from down your way Mate!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Yeah, it seems the flow of 'used' tackle goes from the haves in the northern suburbs and flows elsewhere. But just an idea on Ebay. Here's a TLD 25 Combo I was watching that went for $201! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-T...p2047675.l2557
    When I inquired about what kind of rod was on it, he said "Not to sure it's 1.6 long fire stick in great condition" Anyone ever heard of a fire stick? I know the Shimano fire raider range but even google cant find a fire stick. Still, I got my combo new for $199 from RayAnne's. I don't get the economics of this. Please explain.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

I think people must get caught up with the excitement and determination to win the auction and forget the value of what they are bidding for. Or they don't research the value of what they are looking for and assume everything listed is a bargain. I was watching an item that started at $1, the last I saw of it the bidding was up to $80. Two lines down was another of the same item listed by the same seller with a buy now option of $60.

Don't forgot to check out gumtree. Lots of fishing gear on there

I got my Shimano Baitrunner 6000 today from Marine Deals Australia. Reading through the manual, I was surprised and disappointed to see that it only has a 1 year warranty. I had ASSumed all Shimanos were 10 years. It appears they are importing reels from the US where the warranty is only 1 year.
    Steve
    "Vee get too soon aldt, und too late schmart"
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Quote Originally Posted by stevemid View Post
    I got my Shimano Baitrunner 6000 today from Marine Deals Australia. Reading through the manual, I was surprised and disappointed to see that it only has a 1 year warranty. I had ASSumed all Shimanos were 10 years. It appears they are importing reels from the US where the warranty is only 1 year.
    Steve
    "Vee get too soon aldt, und too late schmart"
    Such are the joys of internet shopping unfortunately Steve. Look on the bright side though - at least it turned up.

Yep I talked to Shimano. They had never heard of Marine Deals. Have given them the details and they will check out. They think its a parallel import.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

I'll guarantee it. There is so much of this sort of thing going on nowadays. A lot of the US or otherwise companies simply set up an Australian website. They can even have an Aussie mobile number or they have a one man operation over here to simply forward the gear on. I've just had a look at their website - the gear comes ex New Zealand apparently with any returns via a logistics company in Mascot NSW. There are a few mobs that use this sort of set up. A battery "company" I have dealt with previously simply rents some space in a logistics depot. His stock is all stored there and he simply forwards your order and they handle dispatch. Always pays to ask nowadays whether products carry Australian warranty when purchasing for things like electronics etc. Don't buy into "it's an international warranty" because it generally isn't.