Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: if you had 1500-$2000 to spend on a chart plotter?

if you had 1500-$2000 to spend on a chart plotter?

In the medium term (next 6 months) I want to put a new chartplotter in my next project boat (19' Cruise Craft) . I've always been a Lowrance man (got a HDS 8 in my Seafarer and like it, maybe not love it) but am open to suggestions. What do you guys think? I'd prefer a bigger screen over whizz bang features.
    Thanks
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: if you had 1500-$2000 to spend on a chart plotter?

the thing is with chart plotters is they are seldom much cheaper than combo units . and more often than not makes sense to just get a combo unit for resale . or back up reasons

in that budget... you got a few options "pretty much all 7" though"
    HDS7t.... + ethernet cable. pair it up with your existing hds8.. . runs fine. far better than the hds8 your currently running. but at least its all language you understand "and kinda easier"

garmin echomap 70s (or 751xs.. if you want a bit more features). the 70s will run far more mapping options than the lowrance. far better gps technology. easier to use and cheaper

simrad nss7. "similar reasons to the hds7t.. just not quite as fast. or as big. or as many toys". but cheaper

all of them will fit your budget.

moose

I have a nss7 ....heaps better than the hds I had before...

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    the thing is with chart plotters is they are seldom much cheaper than combo units . and more often than not makes sense to just get a combo unit for resale . or back up reasons

in that budget... you got a few options "pretty much all 7" though"
    HDS7t.... + ethernet cable. pair it up with your existing hds8.. . runs fine. far better than the hds8 your currently running. but at least its all language you understand "and kinda easier"

garmin echomap 70s (or 751xs.. if you want a bit more features). the 70s will run far more mapping options than the lowrance. far better gps technology. easier to use and cheaper

simrad nss7. "similar reasons to the hds7t.. just not quite as fast. or as big. or as many toys". but cheaper

all of them will fit your budget.

moose
    Thanks Moose!
    The unit I want to buy isn't going in the boat that has the HDS in it (I've got 2 boats atm). Why I was thinking about getting a stand alone plotter for this boat, is it already has a decent Furuno Sounder, but a pissy 5" Garmin GPS. I though by not getting a combo unit, I could end up with a bigger unit for my budget. I like a bigger screen for navigation at night offshore in a relatively small boat. Does that give you more ammo to fire expert advice??

Heres some fun background music to my reply

haha yeah it does. unless 2nd hand is on your mind. anything above 7" is going to be over 2 grand unfortunatly...

HOWEVER!!
    whats becoming more and more popular is using wifi enabled units to stream their image to larger wifi tablets. a fair few of my customers run the gofree wifi module on their simrads/lowrances.. or on the raymarine a series
    this would give you 7" +10" of screen space for less than 2 grand . and it works pretty well
    id be recoming the raymarine a78. "still get the benifit of chirp and down imaging if you so desire" but having the built in wifi makes it all pretty seemless
    heres a video.

Can't go pas t the Garmin 750 (751) now much faster than Lawrence and are touch screen 7" i have had two now and just love them. Easy to use all the features plus get yourself Homeport for your computer you wont go back. Oh and as said they also come as a combo for not much more even if you did not fit the transducer at present at least you will have it.

Mark

Thanks Moose!
    Geez that Raymarine unit looks sweet! Could you give me a price either on here or via PM please?
    How are Raymarine on warranty and longevity? I have a mate running several Raymarine units on his charter boat and he has had plenty of issues. Admittedly they are several years old.

yeah look garmin def makes the better product out of the two. "i run a garmin 751 as well" they dont have quite the wifi linking as the raymarine. or some of the hmmm graphical interphases. but they have the better gps/glonass by far. better mapping options. far better build quality. raymarine. well.. so far ive had 3 returns "two were dragonflys. 1 was an a78" all software issues. so..well. they are new to the small boat market. so teething issues? but bang for your buck in a way.

im not sure if im allowed to be advertising. but
    Garmin echomap 70s (7" pinch to zoon, good gps. great mapping options. not networkable) $1000
    garmin gpsmap 751xs (7" flagship model. chirp sonar. radar, nmea etc) $2000
    raymarine a78 wifi/chirp (7" pinch to zoom downvision + chirp with gold card) $1500

moose
    toast just popped

Hey Moose, are you saying that if you were to run 2 Echomap 70s side by side you couldn't link them?
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

yeah the garmin echos arnt networkable. they both have built in maps. so sharing mapping isnt an issue. with the garmin 751s you can network them with nmea2k to share waypoint info only.
    running 2 echos would be worth while if you wanted full screen 7" sonar and full screen 7" gps at the same time.. that.. and having a backup.

Update:
    Picked up a Simrad NSS12 from BCF for $1999.

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Update:
    Picked up a Simrad NSS12 from BCF for $1999.
    G'day

Was this a clearance promo price or something?

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Was this a clearance promo price or something?

Dave
    On their website all Simrad stuff on sale. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price! BUY NOW BUY NOW!!!

partially because they have the new nss evo 2s out soon "and some models are already out"

but be careful because that BCF price is for the NSS12 unit only. no sonar module. so you will need to fork out 750 bucks or so for a BSM1 and then a transducer so really its more like 3 grand for the nss12

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    partially because they have the new nss evo 2s out soon "and some models are already out"

but be careful because that BCF price is for the NSS12 unit only. no sonar module. so you will need to fork out 750 bucks or so for a BSM1 and then a transducer so really its more like 3 grand for the nss12

Thanks CM, but I just wanted a plotter, so I'm wrapt!