Thread: whats a good recipe for spotty mack fillets?

whats a good recipe for spotty mack fillets?

I was going to do them my normal way, sprinkled with seasoning and shallow fried, but thought id give something else a try..

cheers
    w

Re: whats a good recipe for spotty mack fillets?

Pretty hard to make a mistake with them, the few I have had, I have had them floured and fried, crumbed, smoked and steamed, all turned out great.

Here a good one wayne.. get some soy sauce (kecap manis or indonesian soy is best) bit of chilli,garlic,ginger,lemongrass and fish sauce.. marinate for a few hours.. if you can have the spotties cut into cutlets otherwise fillets are fine.. turn on the bbq and cook away..
    another great way is get some panko crumbs from the supermarket and crumb them.. mix some sweet chilli and good mayo together as a dipping sauce.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

they make some of the best fish fingers you have ever eaten crumbed..

light oil and in the oven..

Regards
    HOnda.

Crumb mix with Parmesan flakes and flat leaf parsley, yummo.

Smash up a handful of CornFlakes and add them to your crumb mix, for an extra crunch. Then add a squeeze of Wasabi Paste to some Kewpie Japanese style Mayo for a dipper with a bit of zing. Serve with an ice cold glass of Asahi, or even XXXX Gold for that matter!
    Mouth's watering lol.
    Cheers

I love spotties carved into pieces about 1/4 inch thick, two inches long and half an inch wide, then roll em in eg and cornflake crumbs and shallow fry very quickly (less than a minute) and serve them instead of chips with a few beers. Almost bettern sex.
    Jack.

Beer Batter, Beer Batter, Beer Batter...... no other way! Its how my boat got its name
    Cheers
    Wal

Mackeral curries well- particularly if it has been frozen as they tend to take on a stronger flavour than fresh.
    Fry a couple of spoonfuls of Green Curry Paste for a minute, throw in some capcicum and onion and and any other vegies you feel like and stir fry for a couple minutes more then add a tin of coconut milk. Bring to the boil and give it a good squirt of lime juice, about a table spoon of brown sugar and a few good dashes of fish sauce (just taste it to work out how much but probably 1-2 teaspoons). Then throw in the chunks of fish ( 1inch by 1 inch as a guide) and simmer for about 5 minutes until just cooked through.
    Serve with rice and a bit of corriander if you like.

Tempura batter with a table spoon of crushed garlic, deep fried then placed on a bed of rice with some heated up kantong sweet and sour sauce with the pineapple chunks in it poured over the top . My family absolutely love it .Thats how i do most of my stonger flavoured fish

If you have a sandwich toaster thingy
    You know a George Foreman grill thing that the oil runs off
    Cut them into mackerel steaks mix corn flower salt and pepper dip them in that
    and then put butter on both sides of the fish put them in and close the lid and
    leave till brown and crunchy
    It cooks both sides at the same time
    Or fillets ?

Another nice one for the bbq is cut the mac into 2/3cm cubes and wrap them in prosciutto, skewer them alternately with lychees (sounds strange but works) serve them with some rice and a light curry sauce. Or as nibbles before large chucks of charred cow and burnt sausages lol

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    Here a good one wayne.. get some soy sauce (kecap manis or indonesian soy is best) bit of chilli,garlic,ginger,lemongrass and fish sauce.. marinate for a few hours.. if you can have the spotties cut into cutlets otherwise fillets are fine.. turn on the bbq and cook away..
    another great way is get some panko crumbs from the supermarket and crumb them.. mix some sweet chilli and good mayo together as a dipping sauce.
    By cutlets do you mean cut like steaks?

1 3/4 cups self raising flour, 375ml can of ginger beer, 1/2 tea spoon of salt. mix together make a thick batter dip your mackerel pieces in and deep fry. till golden and crunchy, dip in sweet chili sauce.

Enjoy

Stu