Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popping / Stickbait rod for big GT's

Question Popping / Stickbait rod for big GT's

I would value any recommendations for a high end popping rod, PE 8, between 7-8 feet.

I am 6"3' and weigh too much (105kg) so dealing with it should not be a problem, but I would like to get something capable of handling big 20 - 40kg GT's.

I have been looking at Atlas, Ripplefisher and Carpenter (too expensive). I recognize that all these rods are way at the top of the scale, but I am lead to believe that on a week long charter fishing for big GT's this is what I need. Happy to be told otherwise.

Cheers, Al

Re: Popping / Stickbait rod for big GT's

Ripples and carpenters.
    have a look at g t p o p p i n g.com (without the spaces)
    there are a couple of used ones on there.

TM

Second Team Mongo on his suggestion. Just don't get too sucked into the BS used to describe tiny nuances between rods in this category! Realistically, you need a rod that will handle PE 8 and cast and work a 100-150g popper. Guys go on and on about fly turds of difference, but keep it simple and you'll be right. If you have a good tackle shop within range, it would be worth a visit to get a feel for what you're after. I use 2 Carpenters, MH79XH for 125-180g poppers and a Coral Viper for smaller poppers and stickbaits up to 150g. The MH79XH has a stiffer action that is great for working a popper (if the rod isn't stiff enough, it folds when you are trying yo pull the popper through the water), but is a bit of a ball buster when you hook up a good GT!!! The Coral Viper is beautiful on Stickbaits and when hooked up, but can't handle a decent popper. Both rods are very light in weight (about 400g, which is amazing considering the power they have) and can be used all day no problem.
    If you haven't done much GT popping before, dont under estimate how much like hard work it is!!! Nothing better though in my eyes.
    Good luck with your trip where are you going?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Just don't get too sucked into the BS used to describe tiny nuances between rods in this category!
    That's great advice. Best if you can go and put a bend in a few at a tackle shop before purchase. Also, here's a couple of thoughts from my personal experience:

1. Once you get over 7ft, fast action rods are very painful to catch fish with. A good 8ft slow action rod will cast a mile and be much more forgiving when you hook a fish.
    2. Don't get sucked into the ironman contest of buying the biggest cupface poppers available. They're hard work (especially if you haven't done much of this stuff before). If you're out there for a week you don't want to be stuffed after 1 hour. It's about catching fish, not trying to impress everyone with how much spray your lure throws out.

3. In my experience, Stickbaits work just as well as poppers (I reckon better), are easier to use, and matched with a good slow action rod will be something you can use for days on end.

interesting thread can i ask how about a live fibre venom.i was under the impression they are very good rods.??

Could also look at rods built from a Calstar 700 xh....admittedly not in the class of Carpenters etc but lots cheaper too....

I would build 1 on a cape cod or ocean tackle international blank works out heaps cheaper and built to suit the way you grip a rod and where you hold it.this is why a custom rod can be fished comfortably all day.
    The ocean tackle now use nano resins in there blanks making them lighter and stronger.I like to build rods that work for people.
    Imo Graham

I agree with Graham above in getting either the OTI or Black Hole. A third suggestion in a similar price a nd quality is the Phenix. Either the Megalodon or Titan popping series.

Have a read of this article there is a lot of good info on selecting an outfit for casting poppers.

http://360tuna.com/index.php?/topic/...-for-beginers/

There are also a few other articles worth a read on there.

I haven't found too much info on this forum but there are some good gt popping stories with some photos of MONSTER GT's on here.

www. g t p o p p i n g .com (without the spaces)

I am only just starting to take an interest in popping and am planning on a couple trips up north this year but I have bought a Saragosa 20000 and matched it with a Shimano T-Curve Revo for about $180.

The way I figure is that if I don't like this popping I can still use the reel for other fishing styles and am only out of pocket $180 for a rod I'll never use again. I f I do like it well I can always up grade

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    Have a read of this article there is a lot of good info on selecting an outfit for casting poppers.

http://360tuna.com/index.php?/topic/...-for-beginers/

There are also a few other articles worth a read on there.

I haven't found too much info on this forum but there are some good gt popping stories with some photos of MONSTER GT's on here.

www. g t p o p p i n g .com (without the spaces)

I am only just starting to take an interest in popping and am planning on a couple trips up north this year but I have bought a Saragosa 20000 and matched it with a Shimano T-Curve Revo for about $180.

The way I figure is that if I don't like this popping I can still use the reel for other fishing styles and am only out of pocket $180 for a rod I'll never use again. I f I do like it well I can always up grade
    Good way to go, picking up a cheap outfit and having a play with it, before sinking real money into a top shelf outfit. Also agree that Stickbaits are great! In my experience, stickbaits catch less GTs, but seem to snare the bigger fish. Big Spaniards particularly like them! Definitely easier on the body too.

so the venom rods are shit then??

Quote Originally Posted by hangar View Post
    so the venom rods are shit then??
    Got a mate with the heaviest Venom popping rod and he loves it. It's a brute stick though!

Sorry about the slow reply. I have had a look at the articles and the "intro to popping" is a ripper. Thanks for telling me about it. I have to make a decision about a rod soon and based on the articles, I want a PE8 with a reasonably stiff tip. Can anybody recommend one, and also tell me a cheap place to get one. Unfortunately I am limited to online store as none of my local guys have anything like this and for them to get them in usually costs a lot more. Cheers, Al

Nautilus have a look at the shimano caranx 8 ft rod pe 8 to 12 40 to 60 kg jig weight to 300gms model No. 55ACD8012
    I have one of these and have caught gt and dogtooths in Vanuatu up to 65 kg running a stella 30,000 with 80lb braid. I also use it for offshore in 300 plus mtrs on the deep criters also. It is 2 piece from the butt.

Thanks Mega'bite, I will have a look at that.

I actually live in Dubai and don't have access to decent fishing shops. Can anyone recommend and online store that will stock heavy popping rods?