Thread: Tow vehicle

Tow vehicle

Heya guys!

I'm doing research on another 4x4 for towing. I'll have a budget of round 7K, so not much $$$. It needs to be able to tow a 2tonne boat.

What would you look for in a vehicle to do such a thing? I was thinking a landcruiser 60 series? or a 75 series ute? All 6 cycl 4ltr turbo diesel. Would personally prefer leafs all round as I do enjoy playing offroad and in mud and my current IFS suspension has let me down offroad already due to no flex.

Any ideas or advice? I've out grown my current truck in two years due to upgrading boats and generally not thinking ahead with the truck purchase I made back then. All my fault ,but lesson learnt!

--julian

Re: Tow vehicle

GQ TD42 turbo diesel, even better with coils all round, tows 2.5 tonne and you can release the suspension for lots of travel.

For eg
    Just noticed its a 2.8 therefor forget it 4.2 TD42 turbo or nothing!!

OR

Low k wg TD42 for sale locally
    Looks clean.
    6300 atm..

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    Heya guys!

I'm doing research on another 4x4 for towing. I'll have a budget of round 7K, so not much $$$. It needs to be able to tow a 2tonne boat.

What would you look for in a vehicle to do such a thing? I was thinking a landcruiser 60 series? or a 75 series ute? All 6 cycl 4ltr turbo diesel. Would personally prefer leafs all round as I do enjoy playing offroad and in mud and my current IFS suspension has let me down offroad already due to no flex.

Any ideas or advice? I've out grown my current truck in two years due to upgrading boats and generally not thinking ahead with the truck purchase I made back then. All my fault ,but lesson learnt!

--julian
    the thing will suck 25 - 30 lts per 100kms towing, stay well away from early model 3 lt Patrols, they explode without warning, an older 4.2 would be better, talk to Mick, and My old man on saturday

another thing you could do is get a wrecked rodeo with the commonrail motor and see if you could convert your one.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i have two diesel 60 series one i'm selling its white truck spotties 9 ins one pencil and one flood 2ins lift kit 8o% tyres (big horns)great in mud and off road 6 mths old with new black rims cost me $1400 the motor is spot on diesel done about 370000 alloy bull bar tow bar barn doors at rear very little rust not in doors or roof,vinyl floor mating my brother buggered a couple of side panels in the back for speakers all running gear good diffs gear box breaks the air needs re gassing this cruiser ive had for years 2nd owner i got another one from Melbourne it cost me $11.000 it is like new i will sell my white one for $5.500 the rego has ran out just and i was keeping it for spare parts because they are all good but i baught another boat today a20 ft haines and could do with some cash it towed my old 19c Hains Hunter to shoot harbour 6 or 7 times and cairns not a problem but i would not hesitate to recommend a 60 series diesel they cruse all day dont get hot and give good economy.

good look Hilly.