Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-spooling a surf rod

Re: Re-spooling a surf rod

Braid in the Surf has way too much sensitivity for my liking, whereas I have it on all my other reels.
    I don't think it gives you the same shock absorption when you are trying to bully a decent Fish through the shore dump, just doesn't give you that same amount of security.
    Fished with Eggbeaters off the beach in the UK before I went to larger Overheads. Have an Alvey that my late Father in Law gave me but I still have an 8000 sized reel and an Overhead for the Surf too, all 3 loaded with Mono too I may add.
    Alveys are great, but it's whatever you personally feel comfortable with at the end of the day. I can cast a lot further with my other reels than my Alvey, just all down to comfort I guess.
    Cheers

Re: Re-spooling a surf rod

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    What a load of nonsense about braid breaking in the sand and on the rocks.Some of you people must be living in the dark ages,as for not using a spinning reel in the surf bulls--- .You can bury a Van Staal or zeebaas in the sand dig it out ,wash it in the surf and keep fishing and the drag is still as smooth as a babies bum.
    Expand your vision, search and you shall find. these are the real facts not fiction.
    Graham
    Ha ha ha thats funny! If you own a van staal I bet you wouldnt bury it in the sand , the price alone would stop you!! As for braid in the surf... I use braid on my threadline reel and it works for me, The alvey reel has mono on it! like I said , look after the threadline reels a bit better and they're just as good in the surf as any other reel be it Alvey, eggy, over head or even Van Staal's! that is fact my friend!