Thread: Inskip Peninsula April

Question Inskip Peninsula April

As a first post I will give a little info about my self, as with everyone here I enjoy fishing and don't get to do it enough. unlike everyone else I've never really gotten into finding out what I should be doing to target different fish. the most I get to fish is at our families Easter camping trip where we take a week of and go somewhere. this year it is the beautiful Inskip peninsula.

Now I know there are whiting, flatties, bream but what is the best fish to target and what sort of rigs would you recommend for targeting certain fish. it will mostly be land based fishing with the occasional boat fishing.

What are good spots for certain fish, what should we run to target that fish and why? oh and what do people recommend for crabbing in the area?

I have been thinking berkley gulp sand worms on a 2/0 with 6lb leader and 8lb main line a small sinker 20g depending on current, this rig is for the mud flat side during the run-out tide to target whiting.

Thanks will

Re: Inskip Peninsula April

Its a great spot.. If you want to have a go at something that will give you a bit of a work out try casting a live whitting into the channel. Most people will use a paternoster type rig with say a 4oz snapper lead or similar, you can catch the whitting at your feet, pin one and cast out and set your rod in gear and wait!! The target fish in this case is a golden trevally.. best time is one hour before through to one hour after low tide, and the time of day is doesnt matter but with an arvo tide change being best..Its not uncommon at all to get one and they get up to and over 20lb.
    Good luck its an awesome spot.
    If your really luck the tuna will come withing casting distance and you can get these on a metal slug.

Anywhere along the channel side is fine

by channel do you just mean the beach on the Fraser Island side?

I caught a school mackerel of the beach last year on a pillie. jagged it the side of the head though so it didn't fight that much.

A golden trevally would be nice, what weight line would you use?

Yeah, so the fraser island side... there is a bit of a ledge that runs along the beach that drops into deeper water. A beach rod is handy to clear your line and i guess 10 to 15kg mainline would be best. Best rig though is a modified paternoster.. so 30 to 40cm dropper with a snapper lead then attached to a swivel or solid brass ring. have the dropper line lighter than your mainline so if it gets stuck it breaks away. thread your mainline through the swivel/ring and attach another swivel/ring to your mainline... off this tie a flouro leader of 15cm or so (50lb) and tie on your hook... this way you can set your reel in gear and if a big golden takes it your sinker stays put but the fish can pull drag as your mainline pulls through the swivel/ring.. Its good to have one set like this and then you can flick plastics or bait for other stuff while waiting for your reel to go off
    Hope that made sense lol..

if camping there, be aware of all the thieving that has gone on there going by reports on here, while people are asleep they have had their campsites raided, also through the day I believe if no-one around

Yeah, we know about the scum that are always out at Easter. We have a large German Shepard who is the biggest sook when dad is around but if he doesn't know you and you are in his territory expect for the whole camping area to know about it. We don't usually take any risks and most of our stuff is secured when no one is around. We also normally get a spot that doesn't allow for people to walk close enough without looking suspicious. suffice to say we haven't had any issues 'yet', touch wood.

We were camping down at kingscliff I think it was and had a run in with local scum who knocked of some young families eskies. Which had among other things baby food and alcohol. We were up late and noticed a suspicious car drive up the point and come back to pull up with no headlights on. a quick walk past the car and the doors locked. meanwhile his mates were walking up from the beach side casing the joint. ####ing scum lucky we didn't catch them in the act. We aree just going to call the cops on any suspicious cars from now on.