Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moreton Bay Marine Park Meeting concering 800 berth Marina 10am Sunday

Moreton Bay Marine Park Meeting concering 800 berth Marina 10am Sunday

If you care about the dredging of intertidal mudflats and seagrass beds in a Marine Park to build a marina
    please come to a meeting in the G.J.Walter Park 10 am Sunday at Cleveland.
    The G.J.Walter park users want to make a statement about saving something for future generations.
    Some of them are dog walkers which is why the meeting has a silly name.
    This issue is a simple one for anyone who fishes.
    Don't expect someone else to fight for the Marine Park on your behalf.
    EPA and Fisheries have no power to stop "essential infrastructure" projects.
    Get out and do something.
    Take your children. It is their fishing future.

See you all there.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Moreton Bay Marine Park Meeting concering 800 berth Marina 10am Sunday

What do dog walkers have to protest about?....

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta View Post
    What do dog walkers have to protest about?....
    Loss of the beach.

The current public beach front will be replaced by a rock wall of a private marina.
    Also a new road is proposed through the park through the dog off-leash area.
    The road also cuts the cricket pitch in half. That will be awkward.

EPA and Fisheries have already made enough mistakes think yourself lucky they are not involved.. BTW how may people do you see standing down there and catching fish? do you not think a marina might have some benefits like provide structure for fish habitats? at the moment quite frankly its, just gravel/mud flat.

Do you not see the economic benefits it might bring?

What will the dog walkers do for the economy?

do you not think a properly maintained harbour may not be better than the current situation with boat wash destroying the environment?

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    EPA and Fisheries have already made enough mistakes think yourself lucky they are not involved.. BTW how may people do you see standing down there and catching fish? do you not think a marina might have some benefits like provide structure for fish habitats? at the moment quite frankly its, just gravel/mud flat.

Do you not see the economic benefits it might bring?

What will the dog walkers do for the economy?

do you not think a properly maintained harbour may not be better than the current situation with boat wash destroying the environment?

Regards
    Honda.

Despite the turbidity the area also has patches seagrass actually. Juvenile fish and other organisms may require different habitat they don't just colonise reef. Some even use the mud substrate. The deep water required for moorings does not allow enough light for seagrass to survive in turbid waters. In turbid water the seagrass only gets enough light at low water. There is dense seagrass just south of Fison Channel before the bank.
    Any damage to the environment from the ferry boat wash in the existing channel has stabilized after over 30 years.
    The 800 moorings have nothing to do with the ferry operations. They are further north and it is planned to cut a new channel north of Cassim to keep the small boats away from the commercial operations. Obviously you have no idea what is going on.
    Economic benefits from renting or selling marina berths dredged in a public marine park: probably. I could also make money if someone gave me a few acres of National Park too but I think there are laws about that.

So lets stuff the fishing and get on to an online real-estate site. (NOT HERE) Get rid of the fishing boat, get a cabin cruiser and anchor at Peel for the week-end .

You can tell your children and grand-children about the good old days when there were fish in the bay. Oh the yarns you can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    Despite the turbidity the area also has patches seagrass actually. Juvenile fish and other organisms may require different habitat they don't just colonise reef. Some even use the mud substrate. The deep water required for moorings does not allow enough light for seagrass to survive in turbid waters. In turbid water the seagrass only gets enough light at low water. There is dense seagrass just south of Fison Channel before the bank.
    Any damage to the environment from the ferry boat wash in the existing channel has stabilized after over 30 years.
    The 800 moorings have nothing to do with the ferry operations. They are further north and it is planned to cut a new channel north of Cassim to keep the small boats away from the commercial operations. Obviously you have no idea what is going on.
    Economic benefits from renting or selling marina berths dredged in a public marine park: probably. I could also make money if someone gave me a few acres of National Park too but I think there are laws about that.

So lets stuff the fishing and get on to an online real-estate site. (NOT HERE) Get rid of the fishing boat, get a cabin cruiser and anchor at Peel for the week-end .

You can tell your children and grand-children about the good old days when there were fish in the bay. Oh the yarns you can tell.

Which agency or green group do you belong to?

So you're telling me that there are no fish in the harbours as the fish have all been killed of due to environmental changes.. Perhaps you need to look at a map to see how far those types of areas extend in Moreton bay.

How many people in boats have you seen at that spot anchored in 1 foot of water catching fish?
    How many people have you seen fishing from the bank on that rocky ground in front of that park? None.. is the real answer to both questions.

No fish in Manly boat harbour?? Rock walls not protecting the surrounding environment?
    Rock walls haven't provided additional spots for land based anglers?
    Raby Bay, no fish their either due to habitat destruction?
    and the new structure wouldn't encourage other growth or habitat that would be beneficial to the marine ecosystem?

Have you heard about the artificial reefs in moreton bay? have you visited the Tiwi pearl ? or some of the reef balls to see if they encouraged the marine ecosystems?

More likely you have a personal interest with local residents along the foreshore.

Regards
    Honda.

I live in Cleveland and I cannot wait for the development. Bobpen is probably one of the ageing hippy wankers I gave what for last Sunday at the markets, hanging around with their pathetic little stand and their NIMBY attitudes. Get stuffed mate. The people of Cleveland want Cleveland to be something other than a place you go through to get somewhere else.

Where were you when we were trying to do something about the second runway and the creeks with their masses of mangroves? Dirty Greenie
    Last edited by Ausfish; 04-03-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Yep, all the Greens need to kill all development is apologists
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Wholly mackerel, does this chap have an anger management problem or what?

Hope he doesn't own his own business with that attitude.
    Yep but you get used to it. Timi is one of these glass houses types.

Some of us will remember when he got on here not so long ago banging on about mental health issues and people slagging and how thay can be triggers and then he himself comes up with these little tirades.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Hang On, Hang On.....slow down. Let me go get my chair, and some popcorn and drinks.......................... bitch fight bitch fight...........bring it on.

These arguments are always heated and passionate. There are 3 sides to these debates................ greenies opinion, developers opinion, and somewhere in between lies the truth.

Point is, why cant you all be grown up about it, put forward your opinion, and respect the other parties opinion without slinging all the $hyte at each other. In the end, what happens will happen through a majority opinion/decision. hopefully...............................

What would you like to see there in 50 years time??
    What use of there area will there be there in 50 years time if some form of development does not take place?
    Personally I think those shore fronts down there are far from natural as they stand currently. There has been lots of things that have depleted the "natural" environment there in the past two centuries and that state of decay will continue unless it is developed to create a better environment.

As far as the Airport reclaimation issue, I am for it going ahead. There is a large swathe of mangroves and swamp gound that has been levelled and filled, but the benefits are there for us all to use with better convenience.

I think that planting mangrove forests will be the next phase of future developments especially in shallow areas likethe foreshores of Sandgate to the mouth of the Brisie River. There is very little stopping that sort of forestation apart from some small breakwalls set off the shore to start the buildup of sediments along there. In 50 or so years it could develop into an everglades type environment with great canals and creeks and flood areas.
    Jack.

The sand/ mudflats are a vital part of the ecosystem and because they do not look pretty is no justification for their removal.
    Do you really wish to see Cleveland and the rest of the Redlands turning into another Gold Coast and all its problems,.
    Anyhow its too late as submissions have closed and greed will have its way.
    Cheers
    Ray

I'm not sure the waterfront down there needs 15 story apartment blocks though.

Redland Times Feb 4th 2014
    "AN 800-boat marina, a public beach, a waterfront promenade with restaurants, cafes, shops and offices and buildings up to 15 storeys high are part of the vision for the Toondah Harbour area of Cleveland released for public discussion on Friday by the state government."

[QUOTE=honda900;1537597]Which agency or green group do you belong to?

So you're telling me that there are no fish in the harbours as the fish have all been killed of due to environmental changes.. Perhaps you need to look at a map to see how far those types of areas extend in Moreton bay.

How many people in boats have you seen at that spot anchored in 1 foot of water catching fish?
    How many people have you seen fishing from the bank on that rocky ground in front of that park? None.. is the real answer to both questions.

No fish in Manly boat harbour?? Rock walls not protecting the surrounding environment?
    Rock walls haven't provided additional spots for land based anglers?
    Raby Bay, no fish their either due to habitat destruction?
    and the new structure wouldn't encourage other growth or habitat that would be beneficial to the marine ecosystem?

Have you heard about the artificial reefs in moreton bay? have you visited the Tiwi pearl ? or some of the reef balls to see if they encouraged the marine ecosystems?

More likely you have a personal interest with local residents along the foreshore.

Regards
    Honda.[/QUOT

You are not really worth replying too. Try reading about intertidal habitat.
    FYI: Intertidal is between high and low water. What has this to do with the Tiwi Pearl and artificial reefs.
    If or when you find out anything at all get back to me.
    The closest I would get to being a "Greenie" is feeding pilchards to fish at Mud Island.
    Try this :-)
    http://www.vliz.be/wiki/Seagrass_meadows
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bobpen; 26-02-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added Intertidal

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I live in Cleveland and I cannot wait for the development. Bobpen is probably one of the ageing hippy wankers I gave what for last Sunday at the markets, hanging around with their pathetic little stand and their NIMBY attitudes. Get stuffed mate. The people of Cleveland want Cleveland to be something other than a place you go through to get somewhere else.

Where were you when we were trying to do something about the second runway and the creeks with their masses of mangroves? Dirty Greenie bastard, I hope you fall off a boat and no one finds you.
    You must really want one of those "essential 800 infra-structure marina berths" at Toondah.
    Why not just get a berth at Manly? It is handy for Mud Island, Harries etc

By the way I carry a personal EPIRB :-)

If I found you in the water I would at least pick you up.

Garbage kills turtles. :-)