Thread: my greatest fishing treasure.

my greatest fishing treasure.

I saw Ron Pooles name mentioned in a post recently, and that has prompted this post. Many moons ago, I liked to spin up across myself. I wa also a mad Mal Florence fan. To the point, that I tracked him down, and persuaded him to an interview in my grade 12 film and to class, fishing movie ( never finished it: slack arse me!). This was the era of the Mcginn hexagonal rods. Remember them?? Mal actually offered me a job in their "Factory " but I stayed at school.
    He sadly passed away not long after that, and his estate held an auction of a proportion of his fishing gear. It was huge! I went along, determined to nab a piece to remember my idol by. I hot very lucky, and picked up the rod as pictured. I payed $300, but was willing to go much higher for such a nice rod.
    Hope you enjoy a bit of memorabilia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: my greatest fishing treasure.

Yep, Ron Poole was a great rod builder, one of the pioneers
    It was me that mentioned him in my snake skin diamond post
    Now imagine trying to do a double closed fish wrap on a hexagonal blank !
    That is as hard as it gets,i know i have done 2 of them
    And that is his hand writing.......... how neat !
    That blank is most likely from the same batch as the one that i have, it was the first prototype batch that they sent out for testing

That rod is not actually a Mcginn, but just a conventional blank. I don't know how it performs, it's been in the cupboard since the day I got it!

Ive got a mcgin hex rod and it is still my preferred baitcaster if I want some grunt. Are they worth money as a collectable?

Ron did bind a few mcginns just like the binding on that rod, they look round after you epoxy them as well, hang on to it mate its a bit of history
    i still have my mcginn that mal sent up to test out . still got more grunt than anything i have ever used, for its size !
    mcginn sold out to a company called cap fear , i think it was ,didnt last long but !

I have 6 McGinn blanks and 5 rods.Awesome stuff.
    Graham

It's great to hear from you guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates this piece.
    Btw keep up the awesome work with your rod builds. I'm sure there's plenty of us non active builders lurking on here, enjoying your craftsmanship.