Thread: Advice needed re new Humminbird 989CX HD SI install and GPS puck placement

Advice needed re new Humminbird 989CX HD SI install and GPS puck placement

This unit arrived today, and I'll be installing it on Thursday. I don't anticipate any problems as I did my last sounder and had no problems.

However, I've never had GPS. Moose from Regal Marine suggested that professionals tend to put the GPS puck right above the transducer so that marks are precise. So there's two questions about that:

First, is it likely that there will be electrical or RF interference from my Honda BF25 4-stroke outboard? I know that there is a filter setting available in the unit. Also my battery is continually being charged by my outboard, and I only have one battery. So to do this, the puck would be mounted on a little in-board bracket off the transom about 20cm from the outboard motor.

And second, do you thinks it matters? Is gps so precise that having the puck directly above the transducer will make enough of a difference to matter? My thinking is that if I can maximize my chances of re-discovering structure from marks, I may as well do it.

Any opinions?

Re: Advice needed re new Humminbird 989CX HD SI install and GPS puck placement

Wouldn't have thought the accuracy would be that precise to matter.

Where did you get your unit from? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Where did you get your unit from? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking
    Chocolatemoose on these forums, otherwise Anthony at Regal Marine in Melbourne, I think. I'll pm you the price, otherwise I'll get a swag of cheaper links.