Thread: Why are we destroying everything?

Why are we destroying everything?

I just read in our local paper that the Rocky Council have decided to support the proposed coal transhipping terminal at Port Alma. Obviously it goes without saying that the state and Feds will also be in favour, especially after they receive the EIS that will no doubt say that it will be all good nothing to worry about.....

I would guess most on here would have heard all about the Gladstone harbour and how the industrialization of that area has affected fishing and crabbing, let alone the pollution that must affect the residents. When I visit Gladstone, I really feel for the locals, I am amazed that humans could do that to an area , and still want to live there... I guess people have to work .

I also understand that there has to be some damage to the environment to support our greedy way of life. Coal and gas is required for us to continue to live the dream.. Unfortunately it seems to have become the focus of everything here in central Qld, and the "environment" is only there to be used to build shit on, or pile shit on. Port Alma and the Fitzroy Delta is pretty much the last relatively untouched areas of mangrove wetlands and creeks left in this whole area. Stanage would be next closest I think.

Now they want to put a huge pile of coal on it and have dozens of giant barges running 24 hrs in and out . They will say it will be low impact, it won't affect the environment, I know that will be bullshit, but once its there it can't be removed , it will just keep expanding. Gladstone Harbour is maybe 50km south. I would think there is still plenty of scope for expansion within that harbour, but I fear this is more a political game between coal companies and the GPC.

Whats the point of working hard, making a few bucks, then when its time to have a break and go do some crabbing or fishing, there's nowhere left to go???

rant over sorry..

Re: Why are we destroying everything?

Yep yep. not a bright outlook for anyone with a keen interest in the outdoors.
    Especially when there are a few bucks to be made in the interim..
    I have friends who refuse to go overseas now because their cheap third world holiday into paradise has turned into a trip into the cesspit from hell.
    We are lucky in living in Australia as its in less trouble than a lot of other countries but even so the pollution,heavy metals and toxicity of our seafood stocks are increasing slowly and surely...

If all else fails we could do what the younger generation do, Escape reality and immerse yourself into computer gaming and then you never have to leave the house...problem solved

Yep, watch the water clarity go to sh&t, especially around the Keppels. Gonna decimate the place. Makes one fume, that's for sure.

Cuzza

RRC sux, I can't say what I really think because it would mean the sin bin
    strelow and the freaking circus don't give a rats about the bay or fishing
    this is just another reason why we deamalgamated from redneckville
    you guys who live in Rocky should voice your opinion, loudly!!!
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Qlnder, mate thats a hard one ey???, having grown in the likes of Wollongong with Port Kembla just next door more or less and the associted smog, coal dust grime etc which a lots of people then complained about and propably with good cause?, offcourse not to mention Whyalla, Newcastle etc which did privide so much employment aswell as apprentaships and flow on work.
    I often wander how many people would today like to have that industry back as in its hayday??.
    I came to Gladstone back in 1980 and wandered where I landed , yet here I still am and glad I did as I guess the penalty we all pay for industry is being able to earn a wage, raise n educate our Children and in the process we can get involved somehow or other n make sure that industry does try and keep its act clean along the way.
    As for the Coal Industry???and Port Alma ??, would the stockpiles be better next to Rocky and will it all eventuate at days end???.

Once again a case of corporate greed influencing government and with complete disregard for the environment and anything but their 'bottom line'!
    Reminds me so much of PPB down here in Mexico, when the powers that be wanted to deepen the entrance to the bay to facilitate larger and larger cargo vessels.
    Consequently, large sections of the entrance were blasted to increase depth, and extensive deepening of the shipping channels took place.

Environmental impact statements by private parties, indicating problems with this were largely ignored by government in favour of their own studies - which surprisingly, categorically stated that no environmental damage would take place.

Hence we have far larger tidal surges on Portsea beach, necessitating drastic beach reclamation and stabilisation - which we have been assured that was expected, as its a 'cyclic' thing. Funny that the phenomenon has NEVER before been recorded in the area - even with so many years of recorded history!

Divers can't dive anymore, due to the strong tidal currents and surges in the area, one of our most popular squid haunts has been rendered fishless, and what was once a safe and attractive childrens' beach has now become more like an open ocean front.
    I for one am so glad that I've been reassured that there's been no damage caused!
    Bl@@dy corporations and narrow-minded, self-serving pollies!

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Qlnder, mate thats a hard one ey???, having grown in the likes of Wollongong with Port Kembla just next door more or less and the associted smog, coal dust grime etc which a lots of people then complained about and propably with good cause?, offcourse not to mention Whyalla, Newcastle etc which did privide so much employment aswell as apprentaships and flow on work.
    I often wander how many people would today like to have that industry back as in its hayday??.
    I came to Gladstone back in 1980 and wandered where I landed , yet here I still am and glad I did as I guess the penalty we all pay for industry is being able to earn a wage, raise n educate our Children and in the process we can get involved somehow or other n make sure that industry does try and keep its act clean along the way.
    I have no dramas with Gladstone being the industrial centre of CQ, its gotta go somewhere. People have a choice to live and work there. RRC thinks they will get benefits from having yet another coal terminal at Port Alma, funny thing is I reckon it might almost be closer to Gladstone than Rocky anyway, any permanent positions will probly come from there...especially with Curtis nearing completion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    As for the Coal Industry???and Port Alma ??, would the stockpiles be better next to Rocky and will it all eventuate at days end???.
    Haha the best place for it would be right beside the piles already at Gladstone..whats another 20million tonnes. Hopefully you are correct re it may never happen, I am not about stopping mining, but this project seems so unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlder1 View Post
    I have no dramas with Gladstone being the industrial centre of CQ, its gotta go somewhere. People have a choice to live and work there. RRC thinks they will get benefits from having yet another coal terminal at Port Alma, funny thing is I reckon it might almost be closer to Gladstone than Rocky anyway, any permanent positions will probly come from there...especially with Curtis nearing completion.

Haha the best place for it would be right beside the piles already at Gladstone..whats another 20million tonnes. Hopefully you are correct re it may never happen, I am not about stopping mining, but this project seems so unnecessary.

Reason for saying will it eventuate at days end is i personally think the Coal Industry is "Översupplied" far as i'm concerned and think its not too far from seeing coal mines be reduced in numbers??..Think the bigger more protifable mines will stay or expand and the smaller will fade into the background also if coal prices dont come down in price or if they get dearer then Countries which have far more coal under their ground but find it too costly to dig may just decide to do so and what that may mean for our Coal Industry ?? One can only guess..
    Not too far back there were peple flying all over the Country looking for somewhere to dig a hole and mine Coal, and a lot did so from here to Timbuktoo. Couldnt drive down the inland road to N.S.W. without previousely booking your accomodation well in advance due to all the above happening and the same said for up north.
    I know as i got caught both ways and only for some good Samaritans on the trip down south taking a punt on one of the units being on hold for mining personal not turning up we would have been sleeping beside the road in the sedan and on the way south from up north, we thought we would be hokeydokes in Mackay from driving down from Townsville and ended up at days end driving straight through from Townsville to Gladstone. All booked out in Mackay and there is a fair share of Motels etc there ey..

http://www.avaaz.org/en/ Get an online petition going send it to everyone and anyone, petition your mp and whoever is in charge of this development.

Get the petition going and we'll help send it to every forum in the world! You'll be suprised how many people care