Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rec Fishing in Green zones - govt plan for beach fishing at Scott's Point & beyond

Re: Rec Fishing in Green zones - govt plan for beach fishing at Scott's Point & beyon

[QUOTE=Bobpen;1537194] The channel is tidal there is no need for vessels to be damaged at by low water, tide goes out tide comes in: That is why they have Captains and Echo sounders

Tell that to the ferry passengers while they are walking through the mud at low tide because the ferry could not reach the jetty!
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Re: Rec Fishing in Green zones - govt plan for beach fishing at Scott's Point & beyon

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    Thanks for reading then.
    I realise you probably can't stop Marinas in Marine Parks even if you want to.
    Party solidarity. A problem with the political system. Pre-selection.
    Only the ones that don't require a recollective response however.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

The Queensland government is considering a proposal for a Special Management Area in the green zone at Scott’s Point on the Redcliffe Peninsula. This will allow recreational fishing with one rod for the first 100 metres from the shore.

Everyone is invited to provide comment on the proposal as per the below release. In addition, in this release, Minister Dickson has invited suggestions for other areas that may similarly be suitable.

I would welcome your comments and suggestions on other areas you would like considered. They must however meet the government’s conditions below.

CRITERIA
    · State managed green zones only (Not GBRMPA)
    · Green zones adjacent to a shoreline
    · Good public access
    · Recreational fishing would have minimal impact to the environment

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2014/2/16/proposal-to-allow-recreational-fishing-at-scotts-point

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

[QUOTE=Argle;1537498]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    The channel is tidal there is no need for vessels to be damaged at by low water, tide goes out tide comes in: That is why they have Captains and Echo sounders

Tell that to the ferry passengers while they are walking through the mud at low tide because the ferry could not reach the jetty!

Have you heard of "TIDE TABLES" Not rocket science to most people. I used a ramp in the Toondah harbour area for 30 years.
    Tide goes out tide comes in. You can watch this happen. Perhaps you should get out more.
    If skippers run aground they are not really on the ball are they?

On low-low tides, the barges are hitting bottom, get it? Hitting bottom damages propellors, understand that?

Barges need to run to a regular schedule to service tourists and residents! Comprende? Otherwise no jobs on Sraddie to replace mining jobs.

There is no way that Government is going to fund the upgrades necessary to the channels and facilities at Toondah harbour that will create a modern reliable, effective entry to Straddie to support tourism and business and residents and basic services, and that will also have the benefit of revitalising the Cleveland CBD.

i have heard nothing from the anti-current proposal nay-sayers that addresses those outcomes. Zip.

Its all well and good to criticize, but at least try to be constructive and put up an alternative that doesnt involve us residents (ie "the Council") or the State govt coughing up the money required, because that aint gonna happen.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

So why are the 12 story apartment blocks necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    On low-low tides, the barges are hitting bottom, get it? Hitting bottom damages propellors, understand that?

Barges need to run to a regular schedule to service tourists and residents! Comprende? Otherwise no jobs on Sraddie to replace mining jobs.

There is no way that Government is going to fund the upgrades necessary to the channels and facilities at Toondah harbour that will create a modern reliable, effective entry to Straddie to support tourism and business and residents and basic services, and that will also have the benefit of revitalising the Cleveland CBD.

i have heard nothing from the anti-current proposal nay-sayers that addresses those outcomes. Zip.

Its all well and good to criticize, but at least try to be constructive and put up an alternative that doesnt involve us residents (ie "the Council") or the State govt coughing up the money required, because that aint gonna happen.
    The channel and swing basin were dredged in 2008 at a cost of $1,550,000 (all contributions) 20,000 cubic metres of silt dumped at Mud Island.
    How does anything in the new proposal address the issue that the channel accumulates this soft mobile silt?
    This syrupy silt may well block water intakes but it is a long stretch to say it is damaging propellers.
    The channel depth is actually maintained by the prop-wash of the barges towards low tide.
    This means the channel will always find its own level determined by the ferries stirring up and resuspending the mud at low tide.
    If the channel was dredged 2 metres deeper the prop-wash would not be sufficient to resuspend the mud.
    If the dredging was never repeated the channel would reach an equilibrium with no cost to anyone.
    The Flyer will need to relocate to the centre of the harbour as the northern and southern ends of the basin will always be shallow. There is insufficient agitation. That is why the (new) public ramp is useless at low tide and requires constant maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    So why are the 12 story apartment blocks necessary?
    Are these 12 Story apartment blocks on private land? If so, shouldn't the question really be, why shouldn't these apartment blocks be given approval?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Are these 12 Story apartment blocks on private land? If so, shouldn't the question really be, why shouldn't these apartment blocks be given approval?

By the look of the latest "Height Plan" for the Toondah Harbour Development, it appears to be mainly publicly owned Lovey. That Height Plan is now showing apartment blocks to 15 stories may be built too. There's also another large area showing apartment buildings up to 7 stories, mainly public land also.

I don't have issue with the marina or most of the associated development, just the 15 story apartments. They'll be seen from all over and change the whole natural look of the southern bay forever, imo.

BTW I think the Redlands Council has recently recommended to the State Government a max of 7 stories and a reduction of marina berths from the original 800 down to 500. I hope they listen.

This is MP Mark's electorate, he should be able to fill us in.

The Queensland government is considering a proposal for a Special Management Area in the green zone at Scott’s Point on the Redcliffe Peninsula. This will allow recreational fishing with one rod for the first 100 metres from the shore.

Everyone is invited to provide comment on the proposal as per the below release. In addition, in this release, Minister Dickson has invited suggestions for other areas that may similarly be suitable.

I see that the Diving industry on the weekend didn't like this idea at all, the reasons given certainly were a little obtuse to me as I couldn't understand them.

As for Toondah Harbour development and all others like it, seems that the developers not the govt certainly seem to drive the process and have more say than any one else and as the govt can/will not fund extended maintenance or improvement due to the cost (which would be paid by us as already mentioned) they are very dependent on developers who want bang for their buck.

I think the biggest problem with any such development is the usual crock of sh!t "all stakeholders have been consulted" which usually means any objections have been read but............... How to overcome this, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier
    The Honourable Campbell Newman
    Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    The Honourable John McVeigh
    Minister for National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
    The Honourable Steve Dickson

Proposal to allow recreational fishing at Scotts Point

Recreational anglers could soon be able to wet a line at Scotts Point on the Redcliffe Peninsula, under a proposal to change marine park zoning.

Premier Campbell Newman said he wanted to change the zoning of the first 100 metres of the existing Scotts Point marine national park zone to allow recreational fishing from the shore.

“The current zoning deprives families of the pleasure of fishing from the shoreline at Scotts Point,” Mr Newman said.
    [ENDS] 16 February 2013
    Well that's close to 6 months now............anyone know what's happening?
    A bit of an update from MP Mark would be good seeing he started this thread. I seriously hope we aren't waiting until just before the next State election to hear an outcome on this issue.

Completely canned by the local member Yvette D'ath........
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Completely canned by the local member Yvette D'ath........
    How can a local member completely can it. I fully expect D'ath wouldn't want it but if the Government proceeds or not with the changes is not up to her. She doesn't have the power to can it Tuna, it's the Government's decision.
    It requires a change in Legislation to alter this Green Zone at Scott's Point, and last time I looked the LNP had a majority of 73 to 16.
    Cambell's own media release says "He wants the change to go ahead" and says it's a common sense change. If they want to do it they can.
    So what's the situation there now, the public consultation period was supposed to finish several months ago and we've heard squat. I heard the consultation process wasn't even completed.
    Update please MP Mark!