Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new tyres mickey thompson mtz or bf goodrich km2?? 31x10.5x15

new tyres mickey thompson mtz or bf goodrich km2?? 31x10.5x15

Hey guys as the title describes almost up for new tread and trying to decide between these two. I do a bit of outback driving and out on farms where the tracks get super greasy with a bit of rain of chasing a mud tire for my next one. Just some thing to handle the tracks better with more grip and control. Now any experience with these two tyres would be great recommendations and why? Now road noise is always going to be louder with mud terrains that is fine but not ridiculous I have two mates with the bf's and they seem relatively quiet on road and good in the wet which is a must for me also. Don't know much about the mickey Thompson but always loved the look of them so chasing some reviews. km's, noise, performance on and off road? any help would be great. cheers

Jono

Re: new tyres mickey thompson mtz or bf goodrich km2?? 31x10.5x15

Last year when I was getting a tyre repair done I was talking old mate in the workshop while he was fixing it. Anyway I asked about the Mickey tyres and he reckons the best thing about them is the advertising.
    Reckons they had a room chock full of failures and warranty claims. I'm in the same boat as you and after a fair bit of investigation it seems you either get a good set of mickeys or a bad set, about a fifty percent chance either way - too expensive a gamble for me.

I used to run BFG all terrains but found the sidewalls too prone to staking when driving through paddocks, currently looking at the new Maxxis 980

Craig

I'm on my second set of KM2's and love them. Never had a puncture. Good in all conditions including wet roads.

If you were driving in nothing but mud I'd say maybe the Micky's, but for an all round performer it's hard to go past the KM2's. I'd also guarantee that they'd be quieter than an MTZ

NEITHER, i would go the MAXXIS mud tyre before any of those,

Worth checking out tyresales.com.au . I found a set I was after for my Explorer for $240.00 each instead of over $400.00. May not work for you, but worth keeping in mind.

Have a look at the Good Year DuraTrac.....I had a set on a Prado and was very impressed with them.....Just fitted a set of Goodyear Silent Armours on my LC but they don't have the aggressive pattern your after.........Funny you say you staked the BFG's....I've had 3 sets which I wore down to nearly canvas and never staked one with a lot of offroad use but now have priced themselves out of my range........I agree on the Micky T advertising.....over rated........the Maxxis are a great tyre for the price........Also have a look at the Kenda Kleaver M/T.....lots of guys running them up here and they seem to have a good following..........Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

had a few sets of good year wranglers myself and loved them. bit noisier than the bfg but not as loud as the mtz.

most boys up the cape run mtz -my brother lived in weipa for the last 10 years and in that time has migrated to mtz's on both his cars after running bfgs for years. they are noisy but........

Hey mate. Can't speak for the bf's, but I have the Micky ATZ 4 ribs. A lot quieter than the MTZ's but still a fairly chunky tyre. I had had no problems in the 50 000 km so far. Might be worth a look.

Cheers
    rob

Neither of the above, but I had a set of Kumo mud tyres on a Ford Ranger and was very happy with them

I learned the lesson of tyre styles when I used to race pony express and ironman dirt bike comps...so always aggressive knobbies, a 4wd never needs every few second the ultimate grip but gee there is a huge difference between aggressive knobbie tyres when one stumbles upon then...like 30% better even...even way back then to the point of far less broken bones and torn ligaments....i was not actually that very good . i still thank the day I found that particular front wheel dirt bike knobbie...never got to fully sort out the rear knobbie though.

Just so happens i have a fair few years of ownership on my old GQ patrol....and they (the km2's) are the best allround tyre I have ever fitted to date, i live in fnq so lots of slick surface mud but I am no longer a hero....been through 6 different T/As on this car last one's where good year wranglers (before they turned all desert like).....oh they work well on coarse sand also...also great for the road as much as reasonably aggressive TA's can be.... and everywhere better than the goodyear and the coopers too...anyway I will be buying the same next time if they still exist, never said that before on this car.

First set of tyre's on this car i actually like and i didn't expect it either, i just found the first store and said what ya got in stock.

hey guys thanks for all the replies yeah I think im going to go with the bf's this time I don't think ive really heard a bad word about them. cheers

Just ran into a guy a few weeks ago that was running Mickey Thompsons but changed to the KM2s, reckons they are a much better tyre for all round driving and mickeys are better for mud i.e. a mud park.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WHAT tyres did you settle for and are you happy with them,for some yeers now i have done my own survey on 4x4 tyres so i am keen to get your reply

cheers Hilly.

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    WHAT tyres did you settle for and are you happy with them,for some yeers now i have done my own survey on 4x4 tyres so i am keen to get your reply

cheers Hilly.

Hey Hilly mate buying new ones in a couple of months just doing some prior research. I have chosen to go with the km2's mate my mates have them also but just wanted some more outside feedback. cheers

Jono

Hey what about the mickey Thompson atz p3's has anyone had any experience with these they seem like a new tyre. Any feedback would be good. cheers