Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: penn spinfisher 950ss newer style braid size

penn spinfisher 950ss newer style braid size

Hi all I have just received my two new reels of this type, they where on a good special so I couldn't help myself, one is for my wife (valentines present, still I better buy some chocolates lol) who doesn't have a proper big eggbeater all to herself atm and the other is for my daughter for the next 10 years or so but also for errant deckies to use as an easy (for me in truth) option...also so they dont need to touch my lovely older 950ss's.

Planned to fish the FNQ reefs effectively all styles if the reel will swing it, I still own and adore the old 950ss's but have never used the new ones...held one for the first time just today.

I ask what braid might in actual practice be the largest this reel enjoys using as I need to spool them both up soon...I can use any leader size i choose but I want the best cross purpose overall braid size fit for this reel first, cast/spin/bottom/float...i dont want to disappoint them and create on the water dramas...wife is experience daughter is not..9yo.

thanks and cheers

Re: penn spinfisher 950ss newer style braid size

mate throw 30lb on the wifes and 50lb on your daughters or 50 on both,not a bad reel I had one a few years ago and didn't have any issues with it...

I use 30lb on mine with 60lb leader.
    Just one thing to watch though. I had the screw on the bail roller loosen on mine and nearly lost a big popper as the braid got pinched in there and snapped.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Thanks for the replies, just incase will go over all the screws when I spool them....I do have a little sticker shock after checking the price of braid to spool these reels, will use backing but still.

Yep I have the power pro and it isn't cheap but haven't had a fail on it so far.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Power pro is 20% off at the moment at that boating camping and fishing place.

950ss -30lb braid?? youll need a 1000m to fill it!!

50lb Fins mate......good decent braid........not top shelf but very good stuff..........I can't believe your daughter is 9 years old.......wow,,,,,, Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

I have one with 24kg on it for downrigging for kings

issue is can only get 8-9kg of drag out of it so the 24kg Is pointless, also heavy as hell
    but its cheap and tough, mate fell off a rock wall and only came back holding the butt of the rod and the spinfisher it broke his fall for himlol

I put 65lb on mine as that's the only braid I had. Make sure you service the ssms regularly, they are a good cheap reel but they corrode up here quickly. You can get upgraded drag washers (carbonex) too. I've stopped some decent fish on mine and use it mainly for float lining macks now that I've lashed out on a stella, cheers.

if you have a look on ebay you can get power pro 30lb x 270metres for $10.35 in china with free post

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    I put 65lb on mine as that's the only braid I had. Make sure you service the ssms regularly, they are a good cheap reel but they corrode up here quickly. You can get upgraded drag washers (carbonex) too. I've stopped some decent fish on mine and use it mainly for float lining macks now that I've lashed out on a stella, cheers.
    You can buy carbonex sheets from the downrigger shop. Cheers.

Most Penns come with carbontex washers as standard
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by Callop View Post
    Most Penns come with carbontex washers as standard
    I read somewhere the 950ssm use ht-100 which isn't carbonex. Ah, here it is..

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/5151...tex-vs-ht-100s

Personally though I'd leave the SSM reels at the store and get a Fin-Nor Lethal LT100 instead, an absolute cracking reel for $139 RRP. I love mine and if my wife would let me I'd have a few of them. Note that the smaller versions have different internal components, so just get the 100 size.

Google the Alan Hawk review sometime.

Cheers.