Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ciguatera fish poisoning Palm Beach Reef

Ciguatera fish poisoning Palm Beach Reef

Hi all, just wanted to give everyone a heads up about Cig. I caught a 10-13kg spanish (estimated.. never weighted it will post pic u can make ur own call on size) from palm beach reef on Saturday and my parents , neighbours all have got Ciguatera fish poisoning. I haven't eaten any of it (feel really terrible) and just wanted to say even if you get a fish from palmy and think its safe (i.e not a monster and not from somewhere like hervey bay) it can still carry it.

Last time i'll be keeping one let alone giving it to friends and family. Feel bloody awful.

JasP1070551.jpg

Re: Ciguatera fish poisoning Palm Beach Reef

Yeh Mate ..Spaniards are always a risk but down this far ya think ya safe...!!!!!! But every 4 or 5 years ya hear of someone getting it ......Before I give any of mine away I cook a little bit up and taste test it it ....If I am still ok next day ..all good.. sort of Human guinea pig .....
    Just about to taste test a couple now ..LOL..hope they werent related to yourrs....

The bigger the fish the more of a risk.

is there any way to tell with out eating the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by daveo17 View Post
    is there any way to tell with out eating the fish?
    My question as well daveo17?? Pretty damn worrying. I was always told never to touch bigger spanish north of Hervey Bay, but now the Gold Coast??

I told my wife at lunch time & she said she wont even risk it now, as we eat fish 2-3 times per week, & I think you can't touch fish for quite a while??

Willo- I can see the merit in what you do, but I wonder how much you need to ingest to get crook??

I assume spotties are OK?? Does anyone have a definitive answer on that one, as I'm going fishing on Friday, so knowing my luck I'll probably get a spanish now I have these doubts in my head!!

Tony

Do I remember correctly someone on here said the people of Fiji feed a sample of suspect fish to their ants and if the ants eat it its OK.

Two points,
    1 Does it work here with our local ants?
    2 Are our ants smart enough to trust?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    My question as well daveo17?? Pretty damn worrying. I was always told never to touch bigger spanish north of Hervey Bay, but now the Gold Coast??

I told my wife at lunch time & she said she wont even risk it now, as we eat fish 2-3 times per week, & I think you can't touch fish for quite a while??

Willo- I can see the merit in what you do, but I wonder how much you need to ingest to get crook??

I assume spotties are OK?? Does anyone have a definitive answer on that one, as I'm going fishing on Friday, so knowing my luck I'll probably get a spanish now I have these doubts in my head!!

Tony
    The Spanish off Hervey Bay are the same fish that you catch here off Brisbane a few weeks later so it is the same risk.
    Ciga does not disappear from the fish in that short distance.
    It has always been recommended to not eat Spanish around 20kg and bigger as they are high risk but its just plain bad luck to strike it in a smaller sized fish.

I had a mate whol caught a mild dose from spotties
    Cheers

I have always been told it's more likely residential fish back in the day my grandfather caught three in platypus bay. The smallest one had ciguatera the two biggest were fine my grandmother still can't eat any bigger fish at all

get the healthiest person in the family to try a small piece
    a healthy individual may get a little bit nausious for a very short time (half an hour or less) if the fish has ciguatera
    this method works with no ill effects
    if you don't believe me, I will do the test for you
    I have had it twice many years ago so I don't take it lightly
    last time I couldn't eat any seafood for about a year and if you know me that is the worst thing that could happen since I have fish at least four meals a week then crabs or prawns another couple
    I have eaten two 50kg spaniards and another well over thirty and thirty or so others in the past few years
    my offsider gave the first piece to his dad before we ate any of the last big fish
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

I had a mild dose from spotties caught in Hervey Bay years ago. We were on holidays and caught a heap and ate them every night for a week. My wife and I had terrible gastro and hot cold were reversed and numb lips etc. Back then we didn't know what was going on but looking back I guess it was Ciga. I don't risk it now. Just eat whiting, flathead, reefies and a few schoolies.

There is some really good reading about ciga in this document.
    www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/p/Fishnote/FN41.pdf

Fish species implicated in ciguatera outbreaks in the Northern Territory and Queensland, including
    outbreaks in other parts of Australia that have imported fish from these regions mostly include:
    Barracuda Sphyraena jello
    Chinaman fish Symphorus nematophorus
    Cobia Rachycentron canadus
    Coral cod Cephalopholis miniata
    Coral trout Plectropomus spp.
    Flowery cod Epinephelus fuscoguttatus
    Groper Epinephelus lanceolatus
    Paddle tail Lutjanus gibbus
    Queenfish Scomberoides commersonnianus
    Red bass Lutjanus bohar
    Red emperor Lutjanus sebae
    Spanish mackerel Scomberomorus commerson
    Spotted mackerel Scomberomorus munroi
    Sweetlip emperor Lethrinus miniatus
    Trevally Caranx spp.

if you take out chinamen and red bass that are banned so we can't take them anyway and third worst on the list is barracuda
    put all the rest in a basket and divide them by the amount of meals eaten and the amount of actual cases and that leaves the odds of getting ciguatera way less than getting hit by a car, dying of bee sting or most things, almost up there with multiple lotto win
    the weed that it comes from only grows in tropical waters particularly in spots of reef that have had major damage like cyclones or ship wrecks
    I studied it extensively when I fished full time
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Out of interest, JB - how did you dress the spaniard? Steaks or fillets?

I've heard cats are very susceptible to Ciguatera......