Thread: Cairns Trip - First Week of June

Cairns Trip - First Week of June

G'day g'day,

Heading up to Cairns for the first week of June. Have a cousin up there who is taking the week off work to take my old boy and myself fishing.

Guessing what we fish for will obviously be weather-dependent (i.e. estuary v off shore), but I'm wondering what will be on the chew up there around that time of year?

Won' be in contact with my cousin for a while and the anticipation is killing me!

Was also hoping someone could provide some knowledge so I can start stocking up on lures, maybe upgrade my gear before I head up.

For estuary I have a chronarch matches to a 3-7kg t curve, and for outside I have a 1200D Baitrunner with 50lb braid matched to a 6-12kg t curve - would that be sufficient?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys

Re: Cairns Trip - First Week of June

This will interest me as well as we are heading up that way for June - July with our camper for some touring and fishing so I will be interested in options as well ...Matt 😎😎😎😎
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

usually windy at that time of the year. Reef does well but might be too rough to fish it. Not the best time for the rivers but can still get barra and jacks if you know what you're doing

Those rigs are fine but if you do head to the reef a larger rig would help in the rough country. You may be able to borrow one and since it's just a week you would be better off buying a decent handline with 80 or 100lb mono on it. You can borrow mine actually.
    As Scuttlebutt above said it could blow all week and you'll be stuck in the creeks so it's a bit of a risk coming at the time.

Thanks for the replies guys.

oh man, that just put a massive dampener on my spirits - what are the best moths to fish up that way?

Thanks for the offer Daintreeboy

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

best months are September/October. Rivers fire up and reef is still good, plus you have more of a chance of lighter winds (not always). Lightest winds are from November to January, though reef fishing is slow and its closed for barra.

Yeah all above is on the money. Wind breaks for the reef happen thru winter months but they usually only last a day or so in general. You could however head down and fish Hinchinbrook Is during that time if weather is unfriendly. A lot of options there. Also the Mulgrave River, for barra etc. Daintree although you need good local knoledge to fish it.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Winter is Mackeral season in the north so you are a good chance of getting out after some Spaniards. True it is the trade wind season but that doesnt guarantee it will be windy- dont get disheartened yet, just be aware that the weather may not be the best.
    With the macks you dont need to get to the reef- the local islands and headlands hold them so you can brave the crappy weather and chase them. Inshore trolling with wolf herring should see you with a shot at some good size macks as long as you can find a bit of clean water.
    The gear you have will be fine.
    Another option is to take a drive up to Palm Cove about 30minutes north. There is a jetty there that fishes quite well for doggie and school mackeral that time of year.

The Jetty at Palm Cove only fishes well in calmer weather from my experience, but if you fish it at all the best time for the ma kies is daylight
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Thanks for all the replies fellas - have booked and paid for flights and accomodation - so cross yer fingers for me, I'll be praying to the weather gods for the next few months!