Thread: Pajero o3 4wd isssues

Pajero o3 4wd isssues

I have recently bought a 03 Pajero, 3.2l turbo diesel, sports auto. Drive down to west coast of SA over the Chrissy break and it didnt miss a beat on or off road. While camping at Browns Point, west coast, SA, i had issues. I went to engage it into 4WD to find it wouldnt engage, i thought. As i was already on the beach and neeed to get the camper off the beach also, i got a bit concerned. I tried again to engage the 4WD, as i did, i heard it engage but the dash lights were telling me that it wasnt. After several scratches of the head i thought oh well, got no choice with no one around so hooked up the camper and to my relief the system was engaged and got off the beach with no drama. I am looking for possible causes and was curious if anyone else had come accross this issue. So just to clarify, when i go to engage 4wd, either 4H or 4L, the system is engaging but the dash lights are telling me other wise....Any clues?
    JN

Re: Pajero o3 4wd isssues

Have you tried searching some Mits Pajero owners forums , i used to browse them when i had my Paj and plenty of good info. Any chance it is just your wedgey globe

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Have you tried searching some Mits Pajero owners forums , i used to browse them when i had my Paj and plenty of good info. Any chance it is just your wedgey globe
    Where would i find the wedgy globe??? Excuse my ignorance !!!!!
    JN

So is it just showing as being in 2wd all the time? I had a problem where one of the lights would not light up once - the missus fixed it by thumping it!!

Must have been a crook connection?!?! They have been fine since.

Jump onto the Paj owners club forum - heaps of good info and Im pretty sure this issue has been covered and its a straightforward fix if its just a bulb/fuse etc.

Cheers
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

The wedge globe is the one directly behind the symbol on the dash. From memory there are two behind the symbol and when 4WD is engaged by you the other globe ( top one ) lights up to alluminate the front wheels on the symbol. Should only be a couple of screws holding the plastic surround in and gently lever the dash panel away. Be very light handed though as there are wiring like ribbons and are easy to pinch and give you more trouble when re-installing.

Perhaps this link can help and maybe even provide a step by step with pics is on there.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=12525

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Hi Jewie

The Super Select system on Pajero and Triton / Challenger uses vacuum actuators to engage the different modes. Personally I would prefer a manual linkage but it is what it is unfortunately. The flashing lite thing is common while it is engaging and can be an indication of a problem or can just simply be indicating slow engagement. Check your model owners manual for the correct selections for 4WD engagement and disengagement. eg in Drive or Neutral etc and steering straight ahead etc. Selecting the auto if yours has it between Drive and Reverse helps engagement sometimes. Golden rule for me is engage in advance before you hit the obstacle . If yours allows 4H selection while moving I find this helps it to engage . Must be stopped for low range selection in the Challenger .I try to regularly use all the modes of 4WD to keep it free and turn the internals of the driveline. Some vehicles may never have been selected since they left the dealership. Here is a link to some good info also. http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view...ticleID=318776

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks to the above but tried the above. What is happening is that when selecting 4wd, there are four lights that relfect each wheel on the dash. The two rear wheel lights are lit but the front 2 wheel lights on the dash continue to blink saying that its not engaged but it actualy is.....When locking Diff, dash says it is locked(doesnt blink) but is??? Thanks for the link
    JN

Should mention that all bulbs ARE working, just keep blinking saying not engaged but is............
    JN

Will be one of 2 things, either the switches (5 of them) have failed, 1 or maybe all of them
    or the vacumn solenoids are failing,

The only way to tell is to test each switch individually, that would be my first port of call, then if all of them are ok, time to test the solenoids,

I have replaced many switches over the years, my reccomendation is that if one has failed, replace all of them, usually they fail not far from each other.

Cheers Lee

Thanks Lee,
    The truck is being serviced today and i have got the Mechanic checking it out for me. He is going to diagonose problem for me with a report so i can then go back to car dealer to see if they come good. I am no Mech but to me it seems to be electrical as the system is engaging, lights just not getting the right message.......
    JN

JN, I can almost bet next weeks pay I know what is wrong. Lee is onto it, but the solenoids are less likely to fail than the vacuum hoses carrying the "signal" down to the gearbox and front diff. One of these rubber hoses is either split or has become dislodged somehow, with my truck it was the result of some mechanical work where they had to drop the front diff, causing strain on the vacuum hose which came off the pipe affixed to the front diff. So here is what you must do.

• Identify where your solenoids are, in my Pajero '97 model they are marked with a blue and a yellow dot. Both Solenoids are positioned in front of the clutch master cylinder - attached photo.
    • Individually track and inspect the hoses leading from these solenoids down to the gearbox and front diff, one of them is leaking somewhere.
    • Replace damaged hose.

Good luck!

Scalem
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Scalem,
    I reckon your pay is safe mate, that makes complete sense. While i was away i did some serious 4wding, very possible that i have split, or dislodged a hose as i did give the bash plate a bit of work out. But the question i still have is that would this just cause the dash lights to give incorrect signals even though it is engaging????????
    JN

fail safe is in 4wd, the solenoids apply vacumn to disengage the front hubs, so if that vac hose is split, the hubs are engaged.

I would still say though the switche or switches are more likely, i can tell you i have replaced more switches over the years than seeing split vac lines,

Given that you gave the bashplate a workout I would definitely be checking vacuum hose as it connects into the front diff. That's where my hose was split. Whether the car is engaged in 4wd or not, dash lights are not giving you a clear indication of what is happening. A branch or anything may have got into that area over the diff which is not giving you a clear reading via vaccum leak. If by default the front hubs engage even if there is a fault somewhere this is not ideal for normal driving which is stating the obvious.

Scalem