Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Okuma Salina 3

Question Okuma Salina 3

Hi all

is anyone using these reels - they look alright for the price but what's the quality like .
    It will be used as a second heavier boat spin reel (30-50lb) ..... but also looking to use it rock fishing during a trip to Lord Howe Island (Hence why I don't want to go down the path of higher end reels)

Interested in your thoughts & experiences - or what else is worth looking at in that $300-$400 range

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Okuma Salina 3

I would not go near Okuma. I have seen too many problems. Google search will show that.

I believe the new saragosa would be a better reel for that sort of coin
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    I believe the new saragosa would be a better reel for that sort of coin
    A Salina 3 is going to cost about 1/2of the cost of the new Gosa in the larger sizes

Myself and a mate have a few salina 2's between us. As long as you look after them and give em a clean once in a while they are pretty good bang for buck

I guess part of the reason why I'm interested in the Salina 3 - is that there is not too much bad stuff written about them on the net - & the same goes for the previous Salina 2

I've never been a fan of Okumas

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Manaroa View Post
    A Salina 3 is going to cost about 1/2of the cost of the new Gosa in the larger sizes
    He did say $300-400 range
    i have 2 Salina 2's 10000 and 5000 both seem to be great reels never had a problem .once again look after your reels and all will be good

He did say $300-400 range
    i have 2 Salina 2's 10000 and 5000 both seem to be great reels never had a problem .once again look after your reels and all will be good
    the salina is low $200s ..... low $300s for the Saragosa

The specs for a Salina seem better too
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

IMO it all comes down to preference and feel when you start spending over $200 they all do the exact same thing it's what is comfortable to the angler my suggestion go to the tackle shop and put both on the rod your using and see what feels best.

there is nothing worse the buying a reel and it does not feel right

IMO it all comes down to preference and feel when you start spending over $200 they all do the exact same thing it's what is comfortable to the angler my suggestion go to the tackle shop and put both on the rod your using and see what feels best.

there is nothing worse the buying a reel and it does not feel right
    I couldn't agree more & as someone who generally buys higher end gear - I'm at a bit of a loss here & why I'm asking. - particularly of those who are using them .
    It certainly cant be compared to a Stella SW that will be along side it ....... but I'm not expecting it too . bashing a $1000 reel on the rocks though doesn't appeal to me ..... but I want a reel that could handle a decent kingie or tuna off the rocks ...... then do an adequate job off the back of a boat for the rest of the time.

So yes once I get some ideas from you guys - I'll venture down to the local & fit them to the couple of rods that they will be fished off before I part with my money.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

well my salina 5000 takes heaps of knocks and have caught 12-15kg longtails on it no prob
    for the price i sertainly would not complain about the the reels they seem to be able to perform there dutys even if they get beaten up

I went down the Saragosa SW 8000 path recently based on the fact that an attempt has been made to keep water out. Where as it is not dunk proof for the rocks, beach etc it has to be a plus. These reels are low $300 and well worth the coin. In the short time I have had mine it has proven tough as nails. No it is not a Stella but neither is the price. This reel will do both heavy boat work and be just at home on a heavy rock spin or live bait rod. Personally I was never happy with the experiences I had with Okuma.
    Regards to all Dick

If I do buy a Salina - I'll be over coming my own Okuma bias

The Saragossa (sp) is certainly one to look at (again) there was (seemed) to be a bulkiness about them .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for raising this Nagg. I've been researching this latest model at the moment as well. I m keen on a 5000 high gearing. It's true that Okuma have a large range of ordinary reels but in my research some of their new high end stuff is getting there.
    I had an original Saline and the only prob was the external paint/ corrosion . But reading the specs on the finish on the new 3, it seems a long way advanced from the rest of the range. At Anglers Warehouse they have a good price on these at present.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

The first reel I brought of any value was the Salina 2 5000 hs and I still take it all the time 5 years old. No problems I like spinning slugs as it feels very sturdy and positive