Thread: Degradable line

Degradable line

Hope they never make it.
    I was out at a spot yesterday and saw some braid tangled in a tree and decided I would collect later.

Moved through the grass for few more casts and found some mono wrapped around my foot.

Before I left I gathered it all in, the mono had a carcass of a magpie wrapped up, died of starvation.

Every piece of line we see will last forever if we don't have a bushfire and every piece will claim a wader, duck, pelican or a Lizzards one day.

It took me about 2 minutes to collect it all and it took no room in my pocket.

Thanks for listening fellas.
    Gordon

Re: Degradable line

It certainly is a problem - both braid and mono have a long life expectancy before it starts to break down ....... when you think that synthetic grass is made to last 10years plus ( braid is made out of the same polymer & contains a lot of the same stabilisers) & if a mono is a nylon 6 base - nylon is inherently UV resistant ...... you have a real environmental problem

So yes - take that old line home with you & put it in the bin

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Snorkel along the Gold Coast seaway wall and your pockets will be full within 10 feet... I'm forever pulling line/sinkers/soft plastics/old slugs and lures in and loading up the bin, and keeping the odd decent slug
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Scary swimming amongst fishing line. Good effort for you fellas collecting and disposing of the line.

Gordon

Wrong Nagg, the problem is idiots who don't take their rubbish home.

Quote Originally Posted by preso View Post
    Wrong Nagg, the problem is idiots who don't take their rubbish home.
    where did that come from ? -

I thought I said "take that old line home & put it in the bin" ..... in other words don't discard your line

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO