Thread: Tropical rocklobster closed season ends

Tropical rocklobster closed season ends

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

29 January 2014
    Tropical rocklobster closed season ends

Fishers will be able to once again catch tropical rocklobster when the closed season for the species reopens on 1 February.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district manager Robert Russell said the species had been off limits since 1 October 2013 to protect the species while they spawned.

“The closure is an important measure to help ensure the sustainability of our fisheries for future generations of lobster lovers,” Mr Russell said.

“With the season reopening, fishers are reminded that size and possession limits apply.”

BREAKOUT BOX

Table: Size and possession limits
    Species Size limit Possession limit
    Tropical rock lobster
    Painted crayfish 11.5 cm tail minimum, 9 cm carapace minimum Above 14° south latitude: combined limit of 3 per person/6 per boat in total of all species.
    Below 14° south latitude: combined limit of 5 per person/10 per boat in total of all species.
    All other No limit

BREAKOUT BOX END

Mr Russell said that egg-bearing and tar–spot tropical rocklobsters were protected all year round, and must be returned to the water unharmed to ensure breeding stock is protected.

“Recreational fishers should also be aware that they must not possess live tropical rocklobsters, and they must remove the central flap of the tail or puncture the flap with a hole at least 10 mm in diameter,” Mr Russel said.

“This rule is in place to make it easier for recreational catch to be distinguished from commercial catch and prevent the sale of illegally caught rocklobster.

“It is important fishers abide by the rules to avoid on-the-spot fines.”

For more information on closed fishing seasons in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Measuring a tropical rock lobster.gif

Re: Tropical rocklobster closed season ends

Is a proposed 800 berth marina in the in the intertidal area at Toondah harbour part of good fisheries management? Why worry about enforcing bag limits or taking the odd under size fish when you can do so much more damage by building marinas?

Hi Bobpen, the Toondah Harbour PDA is managed by the Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning (DSDIP). DSDIP are conducting consultation for the proposed development scheme and you can have your say here: https://haveyoursay.dsdip.qld.gov.au...velopment-area.

As I have little experience in fisheries and ecosystem management I was hoping there might be some state government department that would have some knowledge of the potential effects of this kind of intertidal development.
    I doubt the consultation process would be interested in my knee-jerk reaction that it may be bad for the intertidal area especially if it no longer exists.
    I think what we really need is input from impartial, trained professionals possibly taxpayer funded.

Yours hopefully BobPen